1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completed Metal Carnosaur

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Moniker, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

My Carnosaur prowls the jungle!

CarnoLeft_zpsfff4d233.jpg

I absolutely love this model. The predatory pose of him seems so menacing, especially as I've got him raised up on that rubble.

CarnoRight_zpsf4e12c3a.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the base, it looks very overgrown. Not a problem for the king of the jungle!

CarnoBase_zps0c6efb9d.jpg

The damn camera focused on his neck but you can still see the stippling and highlighting I attempted along his crest. His eye is yellow-orange and was a pain, so small and recessed as it is.

CarnoFace_zpsa21916e4.jpg

Hope you like him. I almost don't want to put put a rider on him, he just looks super cool prowling about on his own.

Noxolotl, NIGHTBRINGER and Kalisto like this.
  2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Freaking awesome! Man, there have been some brilliant carnosaurs posted recently. The base is really well done, great job on it, the skull is very overgrown. Who is the manufacturer of the ivy? I know I've seen it somewhere, it looks great.

One potential criticism, depending on if you think it's a good thing or not, the blue-green highlight on the head definitely draws the eye, and feels perhaps a little incongruous, particularly with what looks like a good job of stippling on the rest of the crest.

3. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

Thanks for the praise! The vines and the wee bushes are both made by "Army Painter; Battlefields" according to the packages I have. Get them at my local hobby shop.

I kind of agree with you about the blue highlights. It looks very... icy. I was thinking of perhaps going over it with an orange or a red? I don't know.

4. Lord Bufo
    Saurus

Lord Bufo New Member

I like the idea of him not having a rider; Such things are beneath a beast of his stature. My first thought was to stick the saurus on the base facing to the left to give them a tag team vibe. Rockin' job on the paint either way, especially the stripes, they'rrrrrrre Great!

5. Warhammer Dave
    Jungle Swarm

Warhammer Dave New Member

Very nice job on the Carnosaur, I really like the natural colors and camo like stripes, so he can sneak up on his prey (like no one would hear him coming :D

Dave

6. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Wow, yeah, a guy on foot could look like a great tag team, provided you could get an equally dynamic pose on him.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Awesome job man. :D

8. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

Very nice carnosaur you have over there! Love the painting!

9. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

Thanks everyone! I wanted him to look dangerous, and tiger stripes look dangerous - even sharks have them! I also found this picture of some sort of monitor lizard that I thought looked super cool. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zVKTdtz9Zjk/S_io6aa0KPI/AAAAAAAAAJk/RtCF4kffbNI/s1600/nile_monitor.jpg

As for the idea of a Saurus on the ground, I think that's an amazing idea! I doubt I would have thought of it. I plan on investigating. I'm certain I can kit bash/convert a very convincing Old Blood or Scar Veteran and there IS room under his base in the front for the fellow to go. I'd just have to scrape some of the jungle off and then rebase after the new fellow was added.

I'm excited for the concept, and I think I'll pursue it! Thanks again!

10. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Good stuff! Stripes look really niceon this guy, and great job on the base.

My only criticism is that the red color of the gums/tongue is a really intense red while your other colors are more natural and muted. I think a paler color would fit better with the overall scheme of the model.

11. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Awesome! You've done some really nice work on this model. Love the natural jungle colors and the striping indeed makes him look fierce. A true predator! One minor criticism is what Dyvim Tvar above me wrote. Unless of course you're going with a "fresh kill" look then no complaints here. Again, minor if anything at all :). A job well done.

Oh and I love the picture of that monitor. I'm usually pretty good with being able to identify reptiles but can't seem to place this one in specific :rolleyes:.

12. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

13. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

hmm... double post. That's a first for me. I blame Bob and his blasted mushroom. Gork!

14. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I like the teeth and gums. The mouth is both striking and realistic.

15. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

It was a bit ago but do you still remember which blue/green colour did you used? Like their missing and the striped running down the scales

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

@Killer Angel , now this was some serious thread necromancy. :D:D Over ten years between posts! Good thing too, since I got to see a long lost nicely painted carno picture!

Vosrik likes this.
  17. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

Found it thank google ! unbelievable isn’t it? I had check although that who posted it haven’t been active since 2015, so I’ll probably never receive a reply. Still a nice miniature!

Imrahil and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Good find!

:)