1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Contemplations of the koatls claw

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Slikus-Vaw, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Slikus-Vaw
    Skink

Slikus-Vaw New Member

So I’ve got a few games in and the warriors are awesome they take so much to kill. I’m adjusting my list which I think would do better.

Army Faction: Seraphon
    - Army Type: Coalesced
    - Army Subfaction: Koatl's Claw
    - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

LEADER

1 x Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (285)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Thickly Scaled Hide
    - Artefacts: Sotek’s Gaze

1 x Skink Starseer (150)*
    - Spells: Heavenly Frenzy

1 x Skink Starpriest (130)*
    - Spells: Light of Chotec

1 x Skink Oracle on Troglodon (270)**

BATTLELINE

20 x Saurus Warriors (400)**
    - Saurus Warrior Alpha
    - Icon Bearer
    - War-drummer
    - Celestite Spear

6 x Kroxigor Warspawned (370)**
    - 2 x Starfang War-pick

5 x Saurus Guard (130)**

BEHEMOTH

1 x Bastiladon with Solar Engine (265)**

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Command Entourage
    - Magnificent

**Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

2. Slikus-Vaw
    Skink

Slikus-Vaw New Member

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

LEADER

1 x Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (285)*
    - General
    - Artefacts: Sotek’s Gaze

- Spells: Heavenly Frenzy

1 x Skink Starpriest (130)*

BATTLELINE

20 x Saurus Warriors (400)*
    - Saurus Warrior Alpha
    - Icon Bearer
    - War-drummer
    - Celestite Spear

6 x Kroxigor Warspawned (370)*
    - 2 x Starfang War-pick

20 x Saurus Warriors (400)*
    - Saurus Warrior Alpha
    - Icon Bearer
    - War-drummer
    - Celestite Spear

BEHEMOTH

1 x Bastiladon with Solar Engine (265)*

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

3. Weird88
    Jungle Swarm

Weird88 New Member

Awesome I have not had as much luck with warriors, how are the kroxigors doing as a hammer unit, I feel like they have the damage output as long as they are hitting first.

Slikus-Vaw likes this.
  4. Slikus-Vaw
    Skink

Slikus-Vaw New Member

Ya they have great damage with the warspawn easily killed a unit of 20. I’m having trouble getting them into combat though but that’s due to being rusty from not playing in 3 years. I prefer the warspawn over the normal variants the -2 rend is quite nice.

5. Slikus-Vaw
    Skink

Slikus-Vaw New Member

So since the warriors are a great tar pit unit i decided to make an army around that to basically hold up the enemy army, then mw them with kroak and shoot with the bastiladon. I think it’s a good army idea, would be able to hold the enemy to minimum victory points which could be crucial. The idea of the army is to buff up the saurus with empowered celestite -1 rend, scry the stars +5 ward, mystic shield +1 save, most likely being 3” from the enemy getting the charge bonus of +1 wound, then probably all out defense depending on enemy rend, if on an objective another +1 save. Run the trog up so they get a -1 to hit as well. If double turned they will still have the defensive buffs to last through it (I’ve had a block of 20 last 2 turns without the +5 ward). If I don’t get doubles get the astrolith up there at the end of the hero phase teleport (or movement phase with tunneling till Saturday) to give them the 6+ ward while kroak is MW their key units with his spells in the beginning of of hero phase and bastiladon doing the same with shooting.

- Grand Strategy: Repel Corruption

LEADER

1 x Lord Kroak (395)

1 x Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)*
    - General
    - Artefacts: Gryph-feather Charm
    - Aspects of the Champion: Tunnel Master

1 x Skink Oracle on Troglodon (270)*
    - Spells: Tide of Serpents

BATTLELINE

30 x Saurus Warriors (600)*
    - Saurus Warrior Alpha
    - Icon Bearer
    - War-drummer
    - Celestite Spear

10 x Skinks (85)*
    - Skink Alpha
    - Boltspitter
    - Celestite Dagger and Star-buckler

10 x Skinks (85)*
    - Skink Alpha
    - Boltspitter
    - Celestite Dagger and Star-buckler

BEHEMOTH

1 x Bastiladon with Solar Engine (265)*

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (1990/2000)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
  6. Slikus-Vaw
    Skink

Slikus-Vaw New Member

The thing I realized with my battles is having 2 20 units of warriors and a 6 unit of kroxigor is I’m committing too much points to a flank objective and they get completely ignored and never see battle till it’s too late.

7. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

I like the army concept. If you play it, let us know how it works out for you.

There are two small changes I would consider to trade a little survivability for significant mobility.

If you swap the Astrolith Bearer's command ability from Thickly Scaled Hide to Vengeful Defender, you can move your Saurus Warriors an extra time in the hero phase. You can repeat this if your Astrolith Bearer stays in your territory.

Switching the Skink Starseer spell Light if Chotec for Heavenly Frenzy is another mobility trade to help you get those Saurus Warriors where they need to be. It lets them run and charge, and they have a native +1 to both run rolls and charge rolls from their musician. Of course, make sure you plan for the spell failing sometimes. Like Light of Chotec, the casting value is 7, so the spell can fail a lot (58% chance of success, but goes up to 72% near the Astrolith Bearer).

You can also always have Kroak caste Telepathic Summons to pull the warriors wholly within 9" (or 15" with the Astrolith Bearer) of himself or any skink vassal, which your army can do now as is. You can even teleport them out of combat to just outside of 3" of the enemy so they can charge back in and get +1 to wound again. (That may not be true anymore after the FAQ comes out, presumably tomorrow, so watch for that).

Since your army already has a ton of survivability, sacrificing a little of it for mobility may be worth it.

8. Slikus-Vaw
    Skink

Slikus-Vaw New Member

the reason I am not putting the vengeful defender and the heavenly frenzy is because I intend to teleport them turn one into their front lines from the trog which will be as far up as he can. Kroak will be +3 on his spells as well. So I’ll teleport them up 15” then move 5” which can get them 3” away in all battle plans I think. Every turn I will may teleport the warriors 3” away to give them the charge bonus.

9. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

Gotcha. In that case, watch for the FAQ and errata updates to come out today. We'll likely soon know if we can still use Telepathic Summons this way.

10. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

Well, the FAQ is out, and Telepathic Summons got the expected nerf:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    Just A Skink likes this.
  11. The Sloth Bear
    Jungle Swarm

The Sloth Bear New Member

So does this mean we could still teleport into combat then since it's not listed as a restriction?

12. Slikus-Vaw
    Skink

Slikus-Vaw New Member

no we cannot teleport into combat but can teleport out of combat. We have to be 9” away from enemy units

13. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

Incidentally, the spell also now works on any
    non-monster Seraphon, not just Saurus.

Slikus-Vaw likes this.
  14. Slikus-Vaw
    Skink

Slikus-Vaw New Member

So the faq doesn’t really effect my tar pit list. As stated before I just add vengeful defender and heavenly frenzy which will give 16” movement before the charge which will reach any front lines of the opponents deployment. I will probably be able to play test this list next week. Have a doubles tournament on Saturday may have someone to play on Tuesday the following Saturday will definitely be able to play test this list. I’ll letcha guys know how it goes.

Tbh I miss the activity on this forum, a few years ago there was quite a bit of members that helped a bunch of people and had great insight on how our seraphon worked and they helped even with fun lists to. I hope I can bring some more activity back to this forum.

15. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

I agree. I thought the new battletome would wake this forum back up, but it did so only briefly.

Slikus-Vaw likes this.
  16. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I think the fatigue of waiting for long periods between books plus each new book coming out rather unbalanced has worn a lot of people out. The new model range has a lot of people excited, but the new book is decent, but not great. A lot of people were expecting to get awesome rules with the new models. And while we got a lot of improvements, we also lost a lot of things people liked (No more shooty lists, Thunder Lizards get nerfed to the ground, our best rules and spells immediately FAQed to death).

The constant "season of war" changes don't help either. It's tiring to keep up with a new ruleset each year that completely changes up the meta and what's good and what's not. Also we haven't had enough time with the new rules for the people on the forum who do the strategy guides to get to work since no one knows what's good and what's not.

Slikus-Vaw and Travis Camp like this.
  17. Travis Camp
    Jungle Swarm

Travis Camp New Member

Any idea's for a flying army?

Kilvakar likes this.
  18. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

With how cheap our flyers are now, you could probably do a pretty interesting list with a Slann buffing core then take a big bombing group of Terradons and a bunch of Ripperdactyls and use Kroxigor Warspawned for the battleline. The Kroxigors can benefit from the skink death rule and help clear hordes while the Ripperdactyls take out heroes and the Terradons go for a big mortal wound bomb on key targets then just kite and shoot for the rest of the battle.

Travis Camp likes this.
  19. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

With the new coherency rules, Ripperdactyls are very good now in reinforced units of 6. They are quite comparable to 5 Raptadon Chargers. 6 cost 220, compared to the Raptadons' 150, but they do a little more damage than Chargers off an objective, and with Toad Rage do a little more than Chargers on an Objective. They match Charger's speed but also fly. They don't have +1 to run and charge, but they are -1 to hit with missile weapons and very resistant to Unleash Hell. They have the same save, but have 18 wounds instead of 10. They're very cheap to summon, and totally worth it if you started with some so there are blot toads on the battlefield.

If you have enough Ripperdactyls, the Ripperdactyl Chief's Ripperdactyl Assault ability can be very good. Give him an Arcane Tome in Starborne and he'll generate CPP, and be a Cosmic Node and Skink Vassal for the Slann.

Slikus-Vaw, Kilvakar and Travis Camp like this.
  20. Doons
    Saurus

Doons Member

CORE BATTALIONS
    *Warlord:spell lore
    - Constellation: Koatl's Claw

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
    Chronomantic Cogs
    Malevolent Maelstrom

LEADERS
    Slann Starmaster (275)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Wrath of Aeons
    - Artefact: Crystalline Skull
    - Spell: Blizzard
    - Spell: The Earth Trembles

Slann Starmaster (275)
    - Spell: Telepathic Summons
    - Spell: Empowered Celestite

Saurus Astrolith Bearer

UNITS
    20 x Saurus Warriors
    20 x Saurus Warriors
    20 x Saurus Warriors
    5 x Raptadon Chargers

just a funny frog bomb for coalesed now that telepathic summons isn't saurus keyworded tie up some warriors in combat and throw a frog at em lmao just a joke list kinda funny leap frog thing popped in my mind