1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Did you know...?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Pinktaco, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I have updated the OP with your posts. Makes it easier for people to get a quick overview. Keep them coming guys! :)

2. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

Same is true, and often forgotten, for the Halberd!

Also, Steadfast includes the first rank of a unit, while CR only counts the ranks BEYOND the first unit.

3. Necromancy Black
    Saurus

Necromancy Black New Member

Yes! This! Have to argue with people nearly every game that this is how steadfast works.

Something a bit interesting I found with charges. When a unit flees they charge they immediately flee, but the charger doesn't actually move until after all chargers are declared. Because the player charging can move his charging units in any order they wish, this allows for some tactical moving.

E.g. if the fleeing unit is now clearly out of range you might move another unit first so as to avoid being blocked by the unit that fail it's charged.

And speaking of fleeing, a fleeing unit always moves in the direction the unit is facing. It does NOT flee towards the friendly table edge.
    Had games where people have told me unit flee towards the table edge when they're fleeing unit was about to run of the short edge. Never again!

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  4. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Did you know that

1. Units of multiple salamanders fire their templates simultaneously.
    meaning you count hits and wounds for ALL of them at the same time.
    Dont let your opponent remove his models before you had the chance to hit them all twice or thrice!

2. Your handlers aren't physically present on the table, meaning charges directed at a Salamander or Razordon must be measured to the beast, not the handlers.
    ALSO: handlers get to shoot too, and also gets to attack in close combat.

3. Stegadons and ridden monsters take Initiative tests on their Riders Initiative.

5. Noveltyboy
    Skink

Noveltyboy New Member

Q: Is a character mounted on a monster, chariot or monstrous beast
    susceptible to the Killing Blow special rule? (p72)
    A: No, as the character’s troop type as changes to ‘monster’,
    ‘chariot’ or ‘monstrous cavalry’ respectively, thereby rendering
    Killing Blow ineffective. Only Heroic Killing Blow will work
    against these

Didnt realise my faq was out of date. Good to know.

6. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

With what? Do they actually have javelins? :O I donit have the book with me ^_^

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Not unless they got an upgrade in 8th:
    they only had hand weapons before. ;)

Scalenex likes this.
  8. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

When a charge is declared against a Skirmish unit, the unit cinches up on the center of the unit and the charging unit must roll far enough to hit the unit in a tight formation.

This can buy you an extra inch or so depending on the angle your skinks are getting charged.

9. Jinxed Mojo
    Skink

Jinxed Mojo New Member

If I'm not mistaken the monster and handlers rule prohibits handlers from using any missile weapons and spellcasting, so no shooting with the skink handlers! (I don't think they have any missile weapons anyway tho.)

10. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Facing Orcs and Goblins? Walk Between Worlds is perfect for removing Mangler Squigs and Fanatics. Cast it on a unit of Skinks (or whatever), and use it to move them into the offending models. Manglers and Fanatics auto-die if another unit intentionally moves into them, and inflict an extra D6 worth of hits. However, since your Skinks are ethereal during this magic phase, those hits mean nothing - the Mangler or Fanatic is removed without harming a soul.

BrotherSutek and Scalenex like this.
  11. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

you guys are right, my mistake.
    Dont forget their attacks though!

12. Necromancy Black
    Saurus

Some thing else from the FAQ that's important: Vanguard units must move before the roll to see who takes first turn.

Very important for anyone using terras/rippers.

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I'll add to this: If it's a draw between two units a musician will add another CR. If both sides have a musician it makes no difference, but if only one side have one then that side will win combat by one.

On another note I'll try and add every quotes from you guys when I get the time.

14. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

Razordons hunting pack are a cheap cannonball goalkeepers.

put them in front of your monster and they have 1/6 to mess the wound roll. then you have 2/6 to take the wound on handler (but the model Razordon is still alive so i think no cannonball bounce). Or take it with the beast so he has to roll D6 multiwound having 2/6 of not killiing the beast, so no bounce.

Scalenex likes this.
  15. Necromancy Black
    Saurus

Been reading up on that Man0waR. You're definitely correct.

To clear that up for people:

• The cannonball bounces through the Razerdon
    • The cannon then needs to roll a 2+ to wound.

The Lizardmen players then rolls to see who is wounded, as per the Monsters and Handlers rules.

• On a 5+ it hits a handler.
    • On a 4 or lower, the Razerdon is hit and the cannon needs to do (at most) 3 wounds to kill it. (FAQ states the roll for multiple wounds comes after rolling to see who is wounded)

If a handler is hit or the cannon doesn't do enough wounds to kill the Razerdon, then, as per the cannon rules, the cannonball doesn't bounce any further as Razerdons are Monstrous Beasts (they have enough bulk to remove the cannonballs momentum).

16. Sebbs
    Cold One

Sebbs Active Member

If you're using 5 Cold ones as a delivery system for cowboys, remeber that after the first one is dead you no longer have 5 rank and file models (remember a champion doesn't count as rank and file either). This changes the way shooting attacks are distributed and you also get no look out sir.

(Unless something has been FAQ'd that I'm not aware of.)

Some people cheese with warmachines with 24" range and put the sideways on the edge of their deployment zone and turn them 90 degrees to be within shooting range from turn 1. Avoid this by not hugging your deployment line (if you play on a 4 ft wide board, battle line etc.)

17. Jinxed Mojo
    Skink

Jinxed Mojo New Member

Does pivoting count as moving? In that case warmachines can't do this since the BRB states that they all have the Move or Fire special rule.

18. Sebbs
    Cold One

Sebbs Active Member

A common misconception, but this has been FAQ'd:

"Page 112 – Cannons, Choosing a Target.
    Change “[...]pivot in the Movement phase[...]” to “[...]pivot
    in the Shooting phase[...]” in the last sentence of the first
    paragraph."

19. Jinxed Mojo
    Skink

Jinxed Mojo New Member

Ah, I need to read the FAQ more thoroughly :).

20. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Stomps and thunderstomps have the ASL rule. Some might want to try and convince you that our steg stomps AFTER great weapons, they don't.