1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Dutch/Amsterdam GT

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by IggyStarhost, Oct 5, 2020.

1. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I attended the dutch GT with 28 players for 2 days with 5 games. Below my brief reports. I was mentally coocked at the end but hope I can remember some stuff for you. I didnt play that well. Actually I played very bad at the tournament, but I am sleep deprived by our baby :) So I just wanted to play same games with Seraphon. My first games this year actually.

My list:
    Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Fangs of Sotek

Leaders
    Lord Kroak (320)
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
    - Artefact: Serpent God Dagger
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Hand of Glory
    Skink Priest (70)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Master of Star Rituals

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    40 x Skinks (240)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    40 x Skinks (240)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers

Units
    12 x Salamander Hunting Pack (330)
    12 x Salamander Hunting Pack (330)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Balewind Vortex (40)
    Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (70)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 147

Factions Terrain: Realmshaper Engine

Game 1 vs Big Waagh! on Knife to the heart

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
    - Mortal Realm: Hysh
    LEADERS
    Orruk Megaboss (140)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Brutish Cunning
    - Artefact : Metalrippa's Klaw
    Orruk Warchanter (110)
    - Warbeat : Fixin' Beat
    Orruk Warchanter (110)
    - Warbeat : Get 'Em Beat
    Orruk Warchanter (110)
    Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
    - Artefact : Shamanic Skullcape
    - Lore of the Weird : Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
    UNITS
    6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
    - Jagged Gore-hackas
    6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
    - Jagged Gore-hackas
    10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
    - 1 x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
    - 1 x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
    10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
    10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
    BATTALIONS
    Ironfist (160)

My opponent brought a scary list with a teleport and with 3 warchanters. Obv he outdropped me. I figured he would let me go first, because who want to give Seraphon the initiative to double turn? Especially with such a smashy list, which if it would double turn me,.. that would be horrible. Below the setup. I thought I would focus on the warchanter and shaman. But boy did the game go differently..

C7D64E95-3B2E-47A8-AB3F-3FD0408AF9C6.jpeg

Turn 1
    My opponent takes the first turn, for the reason that Skinks scare the shit out of him and wanting to punish me for not bringing a command point to save skinks from battleshock. So first turn he makes a free move with both units of pigs and can easily reach the skinks. He charges the skinks (and doesnt exploit the gap for the salamanders), and just annihilate both units with 40 skinks without battleshock.

F5E4BAC8-2C72-462F-AECA-568D0BA72BBD.jpeg 0A9E1663-CE82-4AF3-9D30-0573361A71A3.jpeg
    On my Turn 1 I fired Kroak up and cleared 2 pigs on either side. I moved the salamanders in position to charge. And accidentally rolled the charge before shooting "-__-. So no shooting from the salamanders.... Luckily they bite hard aswell and cleared 4 more pigs. Battleshock took the rest but one pigs. A huge error on my side, but not overcomeable.

Turn 2
    He wins the roll of. Teleports 10 buffed up ardboys on my left flank and takes out the salamander with them and the last pig. On my turn 2 I clear the ardboys and pig with kroak and the salamanders.

Turn 3
    I win the roll off and have to finish the game with just one unit of salamander and the kroak bomb.
    But since kroak is slow I need to push with the salamander but keep the models. I opt to put the in the terrain near his objective so I could should some ardboys. But I would have a hard time charging. But needed that +1 save. In shooting I melt 6 ardboys which were furthest. Then I got the charge off to tag the other unit in combat. Only 1 salamander could bite, but I wanted his ardboys unable to have a good charge and pile-in. I lost some models in return, but made them battleshock proof with the Starpriest spell (we could pick spells before each game). Kroak also took out some ardboys and I summoned 10 skinks in front of kroak to screen my objective. Since we are playing knife to the heart, I also have to be careful.

7DB1E27A-F5B8-423E-8154-5BF3828E0AE7.jpeg

On his turn he moves the heroes to the edge of the objective to zone out a teleport. 3 arboys continue fighting with my salamander and 3 get sent up to screen on the front.

Turn 4
    I delete the screen with kroak. Summon another unit of skinks and teleport them. I moved up the other 10 skinks aswel. Sallies finish the last ardboys and the skinks make the charge and survived combat to take the game. No turn 5, but I would have tabled him there.
    89D50ABC-2AC9-4763-AC9E-5BE81BD34BC0.jpeg

Not a good game on my part, setup wise and play wise. But I dit the best with what I could and knew my win potential was summoning skinks and pushing them up from to seal the deal. I think it was a mistake of my opponent to take the first turn and go for the skinks. While the sallies remained untouched. They really pull through.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  2. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Game 2 vs Slaves on Focal Points

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
    - Damned Legion: Despoilers
    LEADERS
    Be'Lakor (240)
    - Spell : Whispers of Chaos
    Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (170)
    - Mark of Chaos : Khorne
    Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Paragon of Ruin
    - Sword
    - Artefact : Doombringer Blade
    Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
    - Axe
    - Artefact : Diabolic Mantle
    Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
    - Mark of Chaos : Tzeentch
    - Spell : Mask of Darkness
    Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
    - Mark of Chaos : Tzeentch
    - Spell : Mask of Darkness
    UNITS
    1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
    - Greatblades
    5 x Chaos Knights (160)
    - Cursed Lance
    5 x Chaos Knights (160)
    - Cursed Lance
    5 x Chaos Knights (160)
    - Cursed Lance
    6 x Furies (100)
    6 x Furies (100)
    BATTALIONS
    Ruinbringer Warband (140)
    TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 118
    LEADERS: 6/6 BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
    ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ENDLESS SPELLS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400

Also a hard hitting army, with alot of 5+fnp. He outdropped me, but I got the Realmshaper :). Below the setup.
    This time 1 just screen with one unit of skinks. The other outside of 1" for reach of most weapons but salamanders within 3".

4F21E65F-7913-40D4-9ADB-778FDA63D574.jpeg

We had lunch previous to this and I told him I didnt get why the Big Wagh took first turn, and how that isnt the best thing to do. Yet again, he picked first turn and pushed everything in my face. Only clearing the 1 unit of 40 skinks. Sallies killed 2 knight in return and tagged the chariot to prevent it from charging next turn.

5A3FF1D8-D972-47DD-B021-5B9BED5686BD.jpeg
    On my turn I just blew up. The Realmshaper on the leftcorner terrain piece just smiting mw's. Kroak targetted his heroes with buckets of MW. He rolled average for the saves, but it was just so much the all just had a few wounds left. Then buffed up the skinks and they went to town clearing the rest. Geminids and the sallies on the left cleared the chariot and Belakor. The right sallies teleported, but were the ones belakored, but they could shoot. From here it was just moving on objectives and tableing the opponent. Quite an easy game. In my opinion, rushing my list an coming up close to all that dmg potential is just a huge mistake. Also the boardwide spell from Kroak is really nice to snipe those solo heroes of the objective to give room for teleports. But also with the long range of kroaks spells (22" range + 5" from setting up balewind) and 27" range of geminids you could also easily focus on a screen to give room for a teleport.

58D4983B-E039-4157-B955-DE45411A8384.jpeg

55A55A81-104F-4957-8C6E-E58C21F0815C.jpeg

D33385C7-F3B5-48B7-AAE1-53254220E9C1.jpeg

3. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Game 3 vs OBR on the Better Part of Valour

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
    - Mortal Realm: Shyish
    - Legion: Mortis Praetorians

LEADERS
    Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
    Liege-Kavalos (200)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Katakros' Chosen
    - Artefact : Artificer's Blade

UNITS
    5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
    - Nadirite Spear and Shield
    20 x Mortek Guard (260)
    - Nadirite Blade and Shield
    - 2 x Soulcleaver Greatblades
    20 x Mortek Guard (260)
    - Nadirite Blade and Shield
    - 2 x Soulcleaver Greatblades

BEHEMOTHS
    Gothizzar Harvester (200)
    - Weapon : Soulcrusher Bludgeons

ARTILLERY
    Mortek Crawler (200)
    Mortek Crawler (200)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 WOUNDS: 116
    LEADERS: 2/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 3/4 ARTILLERY: 2/4
    ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400
    0 Command points

Terrain: Bone-Tithe Nexus

I really hate those Crawlers. Although this table had 2 pieces of overgrown (topleft & center). He could pick the sides, and chose the wrong sides in my opinion. giving me some nice los blocking terrain. Sorry I only have 1 picture, I was getting really tired. Below is the setup.

My game plan was just to remove his knights early game to take away all his movement. And with this mission, and both of us just playing 3 battleline it was important to just push him of one and holding the rest. Not losing a battleline unit to the crawlers.

698194FC-73A9-4B8D-B784-0A136EECE62E.jpeg

He took first turn, but made the mistake to move the left crawler behind the overgrown terrain. Not having any juicy targets. His other crawlers just shot off some skinks. On my turn I gave the sallies and skinks on the left fly so they could shoot the knights in overgrown, and just took them out with the sallies. Skinks did around 6 wounds on katakros. The other salamanders I moved into the overgrown terrain in the middel. The right skinks moved upon the objective. Kroak hopped upon his balewind and started smiting at the guard. Although most of them got back. He did put the Harvester between both units so if I do enough there wont be any more models within 3" to resurrect.

On his turn some more shooting took off some skinks and saurus guard. Nothing noteable. On my turn I teleported the sallies in the overgrown terrain. But forgot that they werent able to shoot aswell. so turn wasted. But no real way I could lose since his guard have to stay put to claim the objective. another turns goes by, and then he points me to the rule that for this mission I need to be a within 3" instead of 6. Which meant I didnt accumulative hold the objective and would only be possible to score a maximum of 8 VP the whole game if I hold everything. He was holding 2 objectives which both are worth 8vp is you hold them the whole game. Huge mistake on my part, although it was a bit jerky because I ask with every movement "if I move here, I take/hold te objective right?" and het awnserd yes all the time. But I thought is was my mistake so took the callenge to whipe him or lose. Long story shot, sallies made little work of the left guard and harvester and making a charge on the rightguard and taggin the Crawler in to combat to nullify it. Just for ease I teleported kroak in the top right corner. Then my opponent called it.

So first day 3-0 against some though list. Although I wasnt very satisfied with my gameplay. Here I really noticed lacking any games in the last year really gets you out of your rhythm. And with the whole new book keeping things wholly within for buff en cmd abilities is quite time consuming. Luckily my printed AOS reminders was a life saviour. This was all the games for day 1. Was quite happy with going 3-0 and playing on the top 2 tables the next day. Time for some rest...

4. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Game 4 vs IDK on Total commitent

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
    Mortal Realm: Hysh
    Enclave: Fuethan

LEADERS
    Volturnos, High King of the Deep (270) - General - Command Trait : None (named character)
    Isharann Soulscryer (130) - Artefact: Cloud of Midnight
    Isharann Soulscryer (130)

UNITS
    3x Ishlaen Guard (140) - Helsabres and Shields - 1x Lochian Prince 1x Musician 1x Standard Bearer
    3x Ishlaen Guard (140) - Helsabres and Shields - 1x Lochian Prince 1x Musician 1x Standard Bearer
    3x Morrsarr Guard (170) - Voltspears and Shields - 1x Lochian Prince 1x Musician 1x Standard Bearer
    6x Morrsarr Guard (340) - Voltspears and Shields - 1x Lochian Prince 1x Musician 1x Standard Bearer
    6x Morrsarr Guard (340) - Voltspears and Shields - 1x Lochian Prince 1x Musician 1x Standard Bearer

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
    Extra Command Point (50)
    2x Gloomtide Shipwreck (0) - Idoneth Deepkin Faction Terrain

So the mission was nice, which meant no deepstriking on his part. I had all night to think about what to do, and since my toddler didnt give me any sleep that night, we planned discussed it together:p I knew it was a very good player, and the defensive eels would give me a hard time. So I was playing cautious. I won the roll of for sides so I picked the side with the realmshaper, which I put at 18" from the centerpiece of terrain. Knowing I would outdrop him, I comfortably could give him first turn if I deploy out of threat range to keep the double turn initiative. So this was the setup:

6C38193A-88A7-4C6B-98FB-CC511BBBCBF4.jpeg

Turn 1: Idoneth start, he doenst do much and ends his turn. My turn I throw Geminids towards his, tagging some eels and hit the scryers with kroaks boardwide spell. I summonend+teleported 10 skinks near his left objective.

Turn 2: He moves everything in position and kills 6 skinks threating his left objective.

I put all my buff on, but not willing to send everything forward yet. Here I threw the game away,. My plan was to snipe Volturnos with endless spells since his ability clearly says Spells and not endless spells (TO did a coinflip which I won, what do you guys think?). So volturnos was down to 6mw’s. But I totally forget to activate the realmshaper this turn to bring him in KO range. And ofcourse hit all the other units too.

turn 3 I win the roll of for a double turn. I could take both his objectives this turn to put the pressure on. But only have 4 skinks to take the left objective so that wont last langer than 1 turn. I want sure I would gain enough ccp to summon 10 other skinks for the top empty objective.
    If I hadn’t forget the realmshaper I would have taken the double for the extra mw’s and put all spells on volturnos. I decide to give him the double because I was comfortable I would table him if he came to me, and I didnt want to give him the chance to doubleturn me. That would table me.

DE651819-7AD6-43D7-B27D-C2B86281ABE6.jpeg

Turn 3, He shoots everything forward charging both units of skinks. The skinks take some defensive eels of with partingshot. Both units of skinks are gone due to the +3 attack form Volturnos, giving him my objectives. In my turn I kill almost all of his eels and reclaim my objectives. Volturnos and a unit of defensive eels survive.

601A860D-5562-426E-B586-B2696E24A1EE.jpeg
    Turn 4: The left eels make it to my right objective really putting me on the backfoot on VP.
    On my turn I destroy all the eels on my objective and volturnos. I teleport salamanders neer his left obejective and kill them in shooting so my lone skink could claim his objective. Only the eels on the top objective are alive.

Turn 5: I get the double and give my army +1 to charge. I teleport the salamanders at 9", and opt not to shoot them. I need them to survive to make the charge. If I get the charge I win the game, if not I lose on 1 VP. I mis it by 1 inch"....
    1AD2930F-BBB6-4736-9287-DBAB4BDE7F14.jpeg

So that was a bad loss for me, missing out on the finals. But I completely gave it away, I was so tired starting the day, forgetting AOS reminders and some abilities. I almost won, but that was more due to the armylist..

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Imrahil and Bartuk like this.
  5. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Game 5 vs Seraphon on Total Conquest

Allegiance: Seraphon - Constellation: Fangs of Sotek
    LEADERS
    Lord Kroak (320) - General
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140) - Artefact : Serpent God Dagger
    Skink Priest (70)
    Skink Priest (70)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    Terradon Chief (70)
    UNITS
    40 x Skinks (240) - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60) - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    3 x Terradon Riders (90) - Sunleech Bolas
    BEHEMOTHS
    Bastiladon (220) - Weapon : Solar Engine
    ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
    Extra Command Point (50)
    Realmshaper Engine
    TOTAL: 1970/2000

A nice seraphon list very different from mine. Loads of screens and vp for battleshock. But I do believe I have the better list with 5 threats, which could take some punching.

I won sides and picked the one with arcane for kroak :D

First foto is after my turn 1. Deployment was straight forward where she just put her basti and skink screens in front. I picked to go first to have the upperhand in the magicphase and more odds to kill her support heroes with the boardwide spell from kroak. So on my turn I just remove some screens and the bastiladon, and move 1 unit of skinks to the center and the other to screen in the back for potential teleport.

B7610867-6E84-496B-84E7-1C9A0D3C51A0.jpeg

On her turn she took out 15 skink and claims the objetives.

Turn 2: I won the roll off, and deleted most of her threats with spells and shooting from sallies and skinks. I reclaimed the objectives and we called it after her turn having only some terradons left als dps threats. Because I had a balewind my Kroak outranged her, and she would first have to move into my kroaks threat range to to have range herself.

886B5235-8B49-45E1-AB92-173B5C237CA2.jpeg

So end of the GT I went 4-1, and placed third because I got most of the Auxiliaries which counted towards total points. I was bummed out because the best player playing LoG went to the finals and won from the eels list I faced. He is a very good player, but I really wanted a shot at him because I believe my list has all the tools (and outdrop) to take his list on. But thats on me for throwing away game 4. All in all very satisfied with a 3rd place with 0 practice games this year and almost no sleep :)

Below is the list which won the GT. Hope you guys enjoyed the battlereport :)

Allegiance: Legion of Grief

LEADERS
    Dreadblade Harrow (90) – General - Command Trait : Vassal of the Craven King - Artefact : Gothizzari Mortuary Candle
    Necromancer (130)
    - Spell : Dread Withering
    Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (130)
    Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (130)

UNITS
    20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)
    2 x Chainghasts (70)
    40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
    40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
    10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
    5 x Dire Wolves (70)
    30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 WOUNDS: 174 COMMAND POINTS: 0

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Eoin Tehemundi, Imrahil and Bartuk like this.
  6. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

congrats on the great result! love reading battle reports, thanks for writing them up!

IggyStarhost likes this.
  7. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Very nice report on your performance in the tournament.
    You did great, especially in your situation ;)

I looks like it was lots of fun.

Grrr, Imrahil

IggyStarhost likes this.
  8. chefofwar
    Chameleon Skink

chefofwar Well-Known Member

is that a common Idoneth build? I dont know anything about them. Seems like a real big glass cannon? alpha strike potential?

9. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

You see it quite alot, and it is not a glass canon. They get cover turn one. And the defensive eels ignore rend and when they charge they get +1 save. But the most important part is you can only shoot the closest unit.

Imrahil likes this.
  10. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Thanks! And thanks for the list insight with 2x40 skinks!

Imrahil and Putzfrau like this.
  11. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Absolutely, glad it worked out!

IggyStarhost and Imrahil like this.
  12. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

it was really an eye opener they are 60 points now :p
    Although I am afraid they will go up to 70 again

13. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Oh, totally agree. They are way too cheap for what they do.

14. FuzzyOreo
    Skink

FuzzyOreo Member

Hi iggy starhost may i ask what conversion you used with your salamanders

15. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

unless im mistaken that's not a conversion... that's the old model that looks like a dimetrodon.

Putzfrau likes this.
  16. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Volturnos would ignore the endless spell just the same. Theres no distinction between endless spell and "spell" for abilities like that, otherwise none of those abilities would work against endless spells (and they all do).

ILKAIN likes this.
  17. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

agree. even though it would have went against you, the correct call was not in your favor.

18. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Great tournament overall, and nicely played despite the mistakes done in almost every game, do to "i forgot to..."

yeah, i TOTALLY agree with you that it's simply stupid to pick the first turn to charge a kroak army, just to erase the skinks and put some pressure on you.
    yeah, 40+40 teleporting skinks are a pain to deal with (so i get that the tactical decision comes from "i want to negate that potential battlefield control"), but by charging not only you expose yourself to the high risk of a seraphon's double turn, but most of all you put your attacking units into full kroak + 6 salamanders range. You turn your hitters into glass cannons, it's a sacrificial move.