1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Greek themed Lizardmen (Dual Carno Gen and BSB update)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by ZaGreekie, Feb 19, 2013.

1. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Re: Greek themed Lizardmen (Completed Armys on Parade Page7!

Too...many...fingers!

Must...count...in...base...eight!

2. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

i know xD i really considerd resculpting the hands but i decided it was not worth the effort.

3. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Wow man your conversions look great! May I ask how you did the scales on Hercules' back?

4. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

I first made a layer of greenstuff that was bout 2.5mm thick and trying to maintaine the muscle structure so that it kept the heavly muscled feel. then i just started softly pushing my sculpting tool (which is exacly liek the normal gamesworkshop one exept alot finer) into the greenstuff to start blocking off scales in random sizes. then after i have done a few i try to round off any edges, becouse scales logic can only be Convex shapes so any concave scales that where created i round off to be convex, and that creates nice random gaps between the scales. then after its all sculpted i flaten out the scales a little bit with the flat end of a hobby knife and try and reform them to the shape of the body, then i just do a final pass to make sure no 2 scales are to close together and then done.

also a tip is to mix the greenstuff then apply it when its fresh, but then wait like 20 minits before you start sculpting the scales it helps alot as they dont just squish around as much but maintain there shape.

hope this was helpfull.

5. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Indeed it was. Thank you.

6. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

Sorry for no updates!!! i got a lot of news and pics tho!

News:

1st i has one of the major tournaments on the west coast of Spain beginning of the month, and my team walked away with. Overall champion, 1st & 3rd best generals, best painted army, and most extreme massacre( in a 2500pts game i won by a points difference of 3376pts)

In that turnoment i went with my romantic dual Carnosour lizardmen list, and out of 20 lizardmen players i won Best lizardmen general!!!

And for 40k i took my samurai tau which i also won Best Tau General.

I probably could have won best painted for 40k but my tau where half gray plastic is i has a last min list change which i had to barrow models for.

TODO's

Next major turnoment is October 13th, so this time Im going to aim for winning "best painted & converted"

My list is as fallows

2x Carnos (BSB & Gen)

2x Skink Preasts (conversion using the toad marker from the taradon kit)

2x 26 Saurus (in a 6x4 formation with 2 extra just to fill up minimum of Basics)

1x 3 Kroxigors (because they are well converted and are a nice addition to the Greek theme)

1x Bastiliadon with solar engine

1x 30 Temple guard (ya ya i know why bother if you don't have a Slann its only because they are really well painted)

Now for thoese interested i have a funny story of how i the final match in the 40k tunroment.

I deepstriked 2 battle-suits behind enemy lines on top of the enemy objective, there mission? to survive 2 turns of shooting and contest the enemy objective at the end of the game.

Now this pic is of the start of my enemy's turn 4, which was going to be the last turn in the game, all that was left was 1 battle suit with 1 wound... and it has to survive ALL the space marine shooting around it.

and well... lets just say that battlesuit which is missing its arms and legs and was a last minit "oh shit im missing a battlesuit" conversion deserves the best paintjob man can offer.

sorry for the horrible quality pics ill try to get better ones in future!

7. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

Hey well today i got the minotour model that i wanted to use for my BSB.

and here it is!, the concept is fallowing one of the popular theory's on "How" Theseus killed the Minotaur. as he was sent in a a offering clearly he would not have any weapons, so the 2 main theory's is 1, he strangled the Minotaur to death, and the other which is what i think is a lot cooler is he ripped off one of the Minotaur's horns and then impaled him with it.

this is before i start any greenstuff sculpting, my plan is that it looks like he is holding the head up by its hair and i will sculpt the horn so that it looks like it was ripped out of the skull and do the same to the head.

(also just a note this photo is not the final in the end i moved the Minotaur's head up just a little so that the top of the head/hair is just at the base of the fist)

Next Herulies my general, in his final form. im quite pleased with how it turned out. my plan is to paint him not brown and tan like my normal saurus i think it does not stand out enough, so im going with a more camo green base with the skin highlighted up to a bone almost and the scails a darker camo green ill do the BSB the same way, i think it will stand out alot more, also the cape will be blood red. and the fur will be lions pelt.

and i relized i did not have a good pic of my carno colors schemes so here they are, the red one will be my general, im honestly not 100% pleased with it but i think with a bit of brush work to polish it up it will be nice.

8. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Excellent work man! Did you use an airbrush on those carnos?

9. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

Thanks!!! yes they are 100% airbrush except for the metal details im working on now, other then that everything was done with airbrush,

10. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Wow man love the conversions you've done on the scar-vets. Those carnosaurs look great as well!

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Apparently, I haven't commented on this blog before... I should be beheaded and fed to the Skaven slaves! Marvelous work, all around! There's so much to see here, all the clever conversions and details, covered with top class paint job... Man, makes my head spin. I love the clever and unorthodox paint scheme on your yellow-orange Carno, and the revamped Bastiladon laser-thingie, and the minotaur head trophy, and... all of it! I'm so glad you are sharing all of this with us! Thank you!

12. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

Wow! thank you! I'm honord xD i hope to have both the Carnos and there riders done in the next 2 weeks as i have another tournament to go to. ill be sure to post picks of them and ill also try and take some pics of my army when i put it on display for the judges. hopefully i may walk away with "Best Army" (not because its amazing but because its actually painted 75% of people here have half of there army in a stylish Gray plastic theme.)

13. sorrowquin
    Cold One

sorrowquin New Member

Dude, haven't you finished Hercules and Theseus yet?

I so want to see them!!! :D

14. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

SIR YES SIR!

So Here is my General Hercules, Im not sure exacly how i will do the scales yet, but considering that both my Gen and BSB are "Gods" i thought i should paint them a deforent color scheme then my normal Saurus, so i came up with this Green to bone coloring.

Please not this are CLEARLY work in progress pics.

And here is Hercules's Carnosour, im really pleased with how the Eyes came out, but the rest still needs a lot of work.

Unfortunetly im rushing the Carno a bit as the turnoment is in a week and i need to finish both Carnos and Hercules and Theseus.

And last but not least here is Theseus

15. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

One word... A.M.A.Z.I.N.G

16. sorrowquin
    Cold One

sorrowquin New Member

Love it!

The face of the Carnosaur is just AWESOME!

Why not make the scales of H&T somewhat shiney and unnatural? Afterall they are "Gods" as you stated =)

17. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Just another vote for the awesomeness of dual carnisaur.
    I ran 2, with 2 bastiladons and 2 steggadons against warriors of chaos.
    I lost the game due to horrible deployment and forgetting to move the BSB turn 1.
    Even with horrid deployment, the army recovered well and came within 180 points of a draw.

And that was against a pure khorne army, which is a pretty tough match for monster mash.

Highlight was the Carnisaur killing the chaos lord with his thunder stomp (as the chaos lord killed the carnisaur with his great weapon). If only I had rolled a 3 on the D3 for the normal attack that made it through.
    Next time I run the list I'll do it right, all 6 monsters in the center, infantry advancing behind.

-Matt

18. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

You sir are a True Defender of the old ones!

I love Dual carno list, its the kind of list that win or loss is fantastic to play. and when it works its just so beautiful it makes you cry xD

I had a match vs WoC few weeks ago, highlight was 4 juggernoughts charging my Gen on carno. lucky i had my Bastiliadon close so my Carno attakes befor the jugernoughts.

5 attakes,
    4 hit
    4 wond

All 5's and 6's

I kill all 4 juggernauts before they even get to attack!!!!!!!!!! xD

the WoC player just looked at his juggernoughts o.o

then looked at me o.o

then looked at the dice o.o

then looked at my carno o.o

then quietly put his juggernauts back into there Box.

19. ZaGreekie
    Chameleon Skink

ZaGreekie Active Member

Finished the first Carno!

He is a bit overly bloody but then again it fits with my play style :p

20. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Bloody Awesome. :bored: