1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS How is 3rd Edition going so far?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Kilvakar, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Yeah, ward saves have become super-common, and there are armies like Khorne and Lumineth that just shut down spellcasting altogether.

It should still be a strong list, and one that will probably take a lot of people by surprise. But experienced players and people playing armies that resist this tactic won't have too much trouble playing around it.

Just A Skink likes this.
  2. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm not sure how much it will do against SBGL either. A lot of ward saves. Lots of regeneration. Lots of returning minis. Probably some pretty tough spells coming back our way.

3. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Lambs and Lions Well-Known Member

Depends on the list but I think we just fold to the double zombie dragon list.

The spell spam list just invests too many points into kroak, Slann, astrolith, Trog, and guard and then is left with a very weak remaining army. Yes you can summon 600pts of reinforcements in a game but that is 600pts of starborne paper bag armor and maybe not the best way to buff those units.

Just A Skink likes this.
  4. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

If you summon like six Kroxigor and two Spawn of Chotec, that's not exactly paper, Starborn or not.

Just A Skink likes this.
  5. Vexcor
    Kroxigor

Vexcor Well-Known Member

another BatRep came out, same stuff but vs vampires this time. Looks like people start to experiment first with spell heavy and summoning lists.
    i understand that it sounds strong and take some playtime to get use to it.
    more interested in a skink fangs of sotek list when it comes to starborne. lots of raptordons, some kroxigors, flyers, stuff like that.
    both saurus lists will be exciting to see. heavy saurus lists, maybe warriors with buffs and aggrodons to get the flanks.
    Thunder lizards sound the weakest of the 4 at the moment, maybe the double monster ability make up for it? Idk.

6. Aralgmad
    Jungle Swarm

Aralgmad New Member

But against the fast/hard hitters you need some defence and the first turn. I would imagine one unit of heavy hitters just chewing through your few units. If you can not handle those then your whole Slanapalooza gets chewed down.
    You are getting 16 Points (4 base, 4 Kroak, 6 Slan, 1 Priest,1 Troglodon) in your first turn which does not get you a lot.

7. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

No joke thats why my summoning list last edition was 3 skinks, slann, astrolith bearer, engine of gods, and dread saurian. Dread could tank mulitple turns while the summoning engine got online. I dont know if dread will be around this edition but something needs to be there to fill the same role.

Just A Skink likes this.
  8. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

You would take a Starseer instead of a Starpriest (this kind of list will not really have a good target for Serpent Staff), and you forgot the Astrolith Bearer. Gives you a cap of 18. Probably just summon more Skinks T1, and use the leftover CCP to guarantee Kroxigor/Spawn of Chotec summons in the following turns.

9. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

What do you consider the best summons from the list? I don't like Krox because they can just sit around but they are one of the tougher units. 12 wounds at 4+. Spawn of chotec can get a good shot off but has a third less wounds. Chargers are nice as they get +1 to charge so they can get in a do some damage but 10 wounds at 5+ dies fast.

Other than those I think the chameleons with clubs are great back field objective holders as they are nice and cheap. Skinks are just bodies but bodies win games.

I really like our 15 CCP power to do aoe mortal wounds but we need bodies.

10. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Also I just wanna say I have been extremely impressed with the tanking power of the Troglodon and bastiladon. The Trog needs to be buffed up but it can get 3 or more sources of +1 save and the -1 wound ability really lets it tank some hits. Bastiladon are just cheap 2+ saves that can actual deal some damage. Maybe two bastiladon for anvil units is the way to go. I just wish we could summon a cheap arc of sotek bastiladon from the summoning table instead of both of them being the same price.

11. Togetic
    Temple Guard

Togetic Well-Known Member

What skink loadout looks like the one to go with this edition? Still boltspitters and shields?

12. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I would guess still boltspitters. The rend on javelins is nice, but with just 1 Attack at 4+/5+ for either weapon now, we aren't taking Skinks for the shooting anymore. They're mostly bodies, so you could go either way, but I think it's better to have more range.

Togetic likes this.
  13. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Shove everything you summon into the enemies lines with the Spacefolder's Stave asap. Krox are best for this I feel, and Spawn in a pinch (the damage output is decent if you combine shooting + melee). Maybe Warriors if you banked CCP T1.

The 15 CCP MW power is highly situational. Just remember that it does exist, but this kind of list is already overinvested in MW generation, we need more cold-blooded warm bodies on the board 99% of the time imho.

14. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

To get krox turn 1 you need to get every spell off with no unbinds or fails. While this is possible for your kroak and Slann with cogs your Trog is in unbind range without rerolls. Or are your playing more wizards? I think 16 CCP is pretty safe to rely on.

Also do you consider raptadon chargers, their damage output it about equal to krox normally but far exceeds krox on an objective or arcane terrain.

15. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Yeah like I said earlier, if possible bank some CCP in T1 if possible by either summoning Skinks or nothing in T1, depending on battleplan/matchup/who got first turn. Then you are in a great position for the rest of the game in regards to summoning.

The Chargers are ok for sure.

16. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

In this spell casting list, to help tank while the CPP are accumulating, what do you all think about bringing extra guards? 130 points for 10 wounds with a 3+ save, and they can now absorb wounds for any unmounted hero. That means you can use them to hold off melee attackers, and they can protect all your wizards except the already tough oracle from ranged and spell damage.

17. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Just watched a thunderlizards list play StD. Looked like a super fun game. What I do have to say is kroak and troglodon are great in coalesced too. Yeah you can't do the Trog Bomb (though telepathic summoning +6" range means you actually can.) But kroak is just a beast as the spells are good and he controls the magic phase. I really can't think of a list that doesn't get better with Kroak which is nice because his model is great.

18. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

It's a sign of bad design. Just like Skragrott. There needed to be a universal spell lore for Seraphon keyword, or the Celestite spell at least needed to be for Skinks.

19. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

20. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Not sure how telepathic summons plays a role there. Unfortunately you can't teleport the trog with it.