1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JamJar's Roaring Carnosaur

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by JamJar, May 28, 2017.

1. JamJar
    Temple Guard

JamJar Well-Known Member

*Looks at date of comment*
    My goodness has it really been 3 years??!! :eek: I wasn't actually being serious about years. I dreaded for ages that maybe my account got deleted from lack of activity but here we are:happy:

Quite a lot has happened these last couple of years including moving a couple of times, watching the world go into a pandemic, getting married, gaining much experience my job of rock licking (geotechnical engineering) :D In all that chaos called life, I did work on the roaring boy but did not take many photos, probably because my undiagnosed ADHD doesn't like to stop when hyperfocused :rolleyes:

Here is the progress I did happen to keep record of:
    20191205_194754.jpg
    In the last post I was trying to make the base look nice with some textured sand to give a cliff-like appearance. Needless to say, the current base didn't turn out as nice as the text base (which was a little too small). The ferns on the base are simply to give some body to the cliff to allow overhang. I was trying to get a sandstone appearance. Being a geotech, I see sandstone most days of the week, BUT FOR SOME REASON COULD NOT SCULPT IT FROM SCRATCH AND WAS OVERTHINKING IT.

20191205_194803.jpg
    Still looks like a box tbh. I was trying to incorporate joints (cracks in rock) at the rear of the housing compartment. I struggled to get a natural aesthetic happening.

Quick digression:
    20210315_122959_HDR.jpg
    My job here was to assess the safety of this cliffline for someone to rebuild the house near the top.
    Sandstone naturally forms joints & partings (cracks you might call them) within the rock mass, often from changes in stresses or release of pressure. A joint is a type of 'defect', other defects include clay seams, and shear zones. Not promoting anything but if you have insta and would like to learn more about my work as a geotech then check out the_rocklicker for funny and informative content. It's a little side thingy that makes fun of the usual insta influencer stuff you usually see.

20200117_205758_HDR.jpg
    Base still looks like my disappointing thesis. I did add a button to trigger the roaring sound. An Elven scenery piece I dug out of my bits box. Very pleasing to my eyes. I also caught up with a family friend who is amazing a model railway scenery. I replaced the blue speaker with a tiny train speaker, which happened to be louder :cool: Still echoes a bit with the plastic model but that's a problem that can wait for later.

20200117_213554_HDR.jpg
    Side view of the base. Some sandstone 'sedimentary layering' appearance happening but still not quite right...yuck in fact... like biting into an onion :vomit: Sounds harsh but like I said, my job involves observing, sketching rocks and knowing how they form. The dino also got a paint when I had a go at family friend's air brush. Was nice using it but started to miss the authenticity of hand painting. Didn't take a photo painting but this is when I put it away for about a year :meh:

:doctor:
    There was ample opportunity to work on this dino but decided that I needed to bulid/repair/paint a bunch or Skinks & Saurus :wtf:

20211011_193709.jpg
    I also procrastinated by making this modular hill with sandstone cliffline that look nicer than the dino base wtf:hilarious: I can't explain it - it's like that one fork in your kitchen drawer that you frown at when you accidentally grab it. I just don't want to work on the base:argh:

20211011_193914.jpg
    Another view of the modular hill, this time connected on the long edge. Oh and there's a kitten...and the model with it's depressing looking base :hurting:

20211011_194059.jpg
    Oh yes I nearly forgot to show the compartment lid. Other nice hill in view.

Thanks for making it this far! I hope the next update isn't too far away. I would post a nice video but it is getting late and the batteries are dead. See ya'll later, chat soon!

Cheers,

JamJar

Noxolotl, Imrahil, Aginor and 4 others like this.
  2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Great work on this thread!

JamJar likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yay, more progress!

JamJar likes this.
  4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Good work, I like the Idea a lot.

Keep up the work.

Grrr, Imrahil

JamJar likes this.
  5. Noxolotl
    Cold One

Noxolotl Well-Known Member

Great project, I've seen people make their miniatures light up, but never ones that make sounds. Good job, will watch the progress with great interest.

JamJar and Imrahil like this.