1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joshua's Tournament Blog 2024

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by jinjerJosh22, Feb 26, 2024.

1. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

jinjerJosh22 Well-Known Member

It has happened, I have finally grown confident enough as a person to sign up for a 32 player Age of Sigmar tournament :D. This is my first time entering a tournament of any kind for that matter so I thought it would be fun to make a blog post dedicated to that. I plan on posting all my preparations including assembling, painting, list building and also my own tactical insight on decision making as ba... inexperienced as that may be ;)

Just a little bit of info for the Tournament, it's a 3 game, 2000 point event using the current Generals Hand book. There are three different battle plans(I will have to look up which). No restrictions outside of standard matched play.

My List as it stands
    Seraphon
    Koatl's claw

Leaders
    Scar-vet on Aggradon (Finished)
    Oldblood on Carnosaur (Finished)
    Skink Starseer (partially)
    Slann Starmarster (Finished)

Battleline

Aggradon Lancers x6 (Not posted in 8 weeks but will remedy soon enough)
    Aggradon Lancers x3 (Almost finished)
    Saurus Warriors x10 (Finished)
    Saurus Guard x5 (Finished)

Behemoth
    Stegadon x1 (partially)

Realm Shaper engine (coming tomorrow in box)

This is 2000 points on the mark and admittedly not a whole lot of wiggle room in terms of what I can currently swap around. The only units missing are the 6 Aggradon Lancers.

That's it for now, I'll post more as I progress :D

Imrahil and Just A Skink like this.
  2. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

The first practice session has been scheduled for tomorrow 29th of February. It is against someone who I've not met yet but was introduced to by someone from a gaming group I'm apart of. Both are attending the tournament in April.
    He is fairly new to Warhammer only playing for the last 6 months but this will be his 5th tournament his last one being his first 2 day GT on the weekend just gone. He went 3-2 with Daughters of Khaine.

Imrahil likes this.
  3. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

Well that was wonderful really nice guy and a lot of fun to play with.
    Let's start with what I learnt about my list, Alpha strike Aggradons are scary :eek: The first game ended 28-22 to Seraphon and everyone played there part.

The second match was basically decided by the priority of turn 3, he controlled the table really well and I couldn't score.

All model have arrived :D

PXL_20240301_000358259.jpg
    PXL_20240225_195454280.jpg
    PXL_20240229_152255926.jpg
    Late in the game

Imrahil likes this.
  4. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

The Aggradons assembled
    PXL_20240301_115631225.jpg

Imrahil likes this.
  5. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

Feels like a long time since I've updated but fear not, I have been busy both in assembling the army and practicing playing against my fellow tournament goer. I feel much more comfortable with my rules and generally the flow of the game. What battle tactics are possible and when, what spells I'm going to cast and who my target is.
    What I am struggling with is my grand strategy, Realm shaper guardians. While it's not cost me a game yet I've not scored it in the two games I've played with it. One was a comfortable win against a first time Fyreslayers and the other a close game that ended not so close in the score 17/28 in favour of his Daughters of Khain. It's been too easy to deny. The other GS I have used is Continuous Expansion which I scored in the first game but was crushed in the second so that obviously didn't matter. I think I will try it again the next time I use this list.

As for the list it looks a little bit different now....

- Army Faction: Seraphon
    - Army Type: Coalesced
    - Subfaction: Koatl's Claw
    - Grand Strategy: Continuous Expansion
    - Triumph: Bloodthirsty
    LEADERS
    Skink Oracle on Troglodon (270)*
    - Spells: Tide of Serpents
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (240)**
    - General
    - Command Traits: Vengeful Defender
    - Artefacts of Power: Blade of Realities
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Aggradon (160)**
    - Relic Celestite Spear
    - Artefacts of Power: Sotek’s Gaze
    Skink Starseer (160)**
    - Spells: Hoarfrost
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)***
    BATTLELINE
    Aggradon Lancers (380)*
    - Aggradon Lancer Alpha
    - Icon Bearer
    - War-drummer
    - Celestite Spear
    Aggradon Lancers (190)*
    - Icon Bearer
    - War-drummer
    - Aggradon Lancer Alpha
    - Celestite Club
    Saurus Warriors (180)***
    - Icon Bearer
    - War-drummer
    - Saurus Warrior Alpha
    - Celestite Spear
    BEHEMOTH
    Stegadon (240)***
    - Skystreak Bow
    TERRAIN
    1 x Coalesced Realmshaper Engine (0)
    CORE BATTALIONS
    *Battle Regiment
    **Command Entourage
    - Magnificent

***Wizard-finders of Andtor
    TOTAL POINTS: 1980/2000
    Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

A Troglodon and a Astolith bearer have come in for the Slann and the Saurus Guard. While the Slann is a great utility piece the Trog just makes this army so much more bulky with it's 9" -1 to hit bubble and combined with the ward save from the Astolith bearer as well as the Starseers once per battle ward save this army can take a beating.

6. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

I got in a practice game against my wife. My list was quite different from my other lists that I have tried, focusing on more Saurus Warriors and a Andorian locust as my general in order to score a grand strategy. Yeah, didn't work out so well but when you have two Mangler Squigs in your back line things aren't so easy. Ultimately the battle was never out of control and the tankiness of this list is quite good.

PXL_20240404_193101595.jpg

Imrahil likes this.
  7. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

Well the Tournament has come and gone and the results are in. There was no dream 3 and 0 this time around however I did go 2 and 1 :D finishing 12 out of 32.
    I am super happy with how everything went, my opponents where delightful and the event itself was super fun.

First game was against Ossiach bonereapers "Something" Elite and another first time tournament goer. The game was decided when my opponent gave me the first turn and my 6 Aggradons had him pinned. When he couldn't deal with them in the following turn he lost way too much and I had all the control. Unfortunately his Morgasts killed my general who I left exposed trying to support the on rushing Aggradons denying my grand strategy but otherwise a perfect score at 25 to 14.

The second game was against Slaanesh pretenders, 40 Blissbarb archers Shalaxi and a Keeper. I completely mis calculated the drops and set up wrong costing me the game in the first turn essentially. I for some reason thought my 3 drops would out drop my opponents 2 drops if I set up a model first but that was very incorrect:oops: I had my Aggradons set up front which took the brunt of the Keepers and the Blissbarbs did so damage much to everything else that there was hardly a chance for a counter attack. This ended 28-6 to my opponent.

The last game was against Flesh Eater courts and my first time facing a Terrorgheist and Zombie Dragon. The Aggradons made there not insignificant charge to get into the Dragon after my opponent deployed way back and redeployed his screen to hamper them. I could only get 2 Aggradons into the Dragon but they do so much work that It cost my opponent a Zombie dragon and half a Terrorgeist to remove the lancers. My Rapatadons followed up being supported now by a celestial doom and Hoarfrost from my Starseer. Facing -3 rend without a ward save and 2 damage a piece the terrorgeist crumbled and then it was just the case of pinning the opponent while scoring tactics. This ended 28-10 and I finally scored a grand strategy :D

Fantastic day out and I would recommend to anyone to give it a try :D
    I'll post some photos later ;)

Imrahil likes this.