1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Kilvakar's Battle Reports

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Kilvakar, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I've been excited waiting for the opportunity to post my first official battle report! I've done a few mostly practice games with varying results, but this is the first real matched play rules game I've done, so here's the report!

This was a meeting engagement battle using The Center Ground battle plan. We didn't use any of the Realms rules, so just faction artifacts and spells.

My list:

Spearhead Deployment:

General: Slann Starmaster. Great Rememberer, Incandescent Rectrices, Stellar Tempest

3 Kroxigors

Main Body:

Engine of the Gods

10 Saurus Warriors

3 Ripperdactyls

Rearguard:

5 Saurus Knights

Endless Spell: Balewind Vortex

Enemy List: Idoneth Deepkin

Spearhead Deployment:

10 Namarti Thralls

3 Morrsarr Guard

Main Body:

General:
    Eidolon of Mathlann: Aspect of the Sea: Unstoppable Fury, Arcane Pearl, Arcane Corrasion.

10 Namarti Thralls

Rearguard:

3 Morrsarr Guard

Endless Spell: Suffocating Gravetide

Turn 1: I get to go first, start by teleporting the Kroxigor in front of the single central objective and teleporting the Slann behind them, then casting Balewind Vortex and saving the rest of the spells for 9 summoning points.

Deepkin run the Namarti and eels up. Neither of us has any shooting, so that basically ends that turn. I win the objective getting 3 points, each of us gets 1 point for kill totals with neither of us having any kills that round.

Seraphon: 4,
    Deepkin: 1

Turn 2:

I win the roll off and decided to go first. I deployed my main body of army at the starting zone and rolled for the Engine of the Gods and got the 10-inch MW attack, but nothing was in range so it did nothing. I teleported the Saurus Warriors and Engine of the Gods to just behind my front line. I burned all four of my spells for summoning points and decided to summon a Troglodon. Dropped it 9 inches away from the unit of Morrsarr Guard and then shot at it during the shooing phase but did no damage. I then charged my Kroxigors into the front line of eels. Managed to make the charge with the Troglodon even though I missed with the spit attack, but due to the incredible toughness of the eels I only managed to deal two damage to one of the eels.

Deepkin player deployed their Eidolon and their second group of Namarti. The Eidolon cast Arcane Bolt on the Kroxigors, which I failed to unbind, and did 2 damage to one of them. Then he did 2 damage on the Slann with Arcane Corrasion. The only shooting was from the Eidolon, who did 2 wounds to the Troglodon. Then the Namarti charged in on the Troglodon, who got butchered in the combat phase. He died without having much effect, unfortunately. But the Kroxigors were surprisingly tanky in this battle, and managed to survive the eels attacks with all 3 units intact.

I still held the objective, gaining 3 points. The Deepkin won on the wound total kill count, gaining 2 points.

Seraphon 7,
    Deepkin 3

Turn 3:

I won the roll off again and went first. I deployed my final unit of Saurus Knights and saved all my spells for summoning. I teleported the Ripperdactyls to toward the front line (and the blot toad!), and teleported the Slann away from the Eidolon and second group of Namarti, who were getting dangerously close, and put him behind the Engine so he could keep buffing it's roll. I then rolled the 25 inch d6 MW blast on the Engine and hit the Eidolon. Rolled a 6 and knocked him down to half health. Missed shooting with the Engine, and charged the Rippers into a group of Namarti. The toad wasn't close enough, though, so no bonus :( It was high tide, which I kind of neglected to realize, so the Namarti and eels hit first, killing only one of the Rippers, strangely enough. I retaliated decently and took out about 3-4 Namarti. I then lost a Kroxigor to the eels, but managed to take one of the eels down in return. Kroxigors continuing to roll very high on saves!

The Eidolon tried to cast Gravetide, but I unbound it. He did manage to hit the Slann with the Cloying Mists, bringing him down to 4 wounds. Hit him again during the shooting phase, so 2 wounds now. Then the Deepkin attacked the Rippers again, taking out another one, but losing all but one of their Namarti in the process. The last remaining Kroxigor made all his saves against the eels, though. The second group of eels charged into my Saurus Warriors, followed by the Namarti. Needless to say, they got wiped out to the last lizard.

But despite my heavy losses, I managed to hold on to the objective!

Seraphon 10,
    Deepkin 5.

Turn 4:

I won the roll yet again! I teleported the Knights in behind the Eidolon, teleported the newly rejuvenated Slann away from the Eidolon again, and summoned an Oldblood on Carnosaur after saving all four spells once again. The Engine rolled the 1d6 MW blast again, thanks to still being close to the Slann even after taking a lot of damage. I hit the Eidolon for four damage, so now he was down to 2 wounds. The Engine missed again during the shooting phase, and attacked the Eidolon during the charge phase. My Carnosaur failed the charge, unfortunately :( My last Ripper tried to take out the last single model in one of the Namarti units, but failed. My Knights charged the Eidolon, but did no damage at all. The Engine attacked the Eidolon, and also did no damage.

Eidolon tried again to cast Gravetide, but I unbound it once more. He retaliated by doing two more damage with Cloying Mists to my Slann, and finished him off during the shooting phase. But my Rectrices kicked in, and I rolled a 6 on the heal! They then used the Ebb Tide to pull the eels back and charge the Kroxigor, and that extra rend finally brought him down. I was very glad they managed to hold the eels off the objective for so long, though. The second group of Namarti charged moved towards the Knights, the eels that my Kroxigors had been fighting moved up behind the Knights as well, and the Eidolon attacked them. With the combined attacks from the Eidolon and the eels, as well as the few Namarti who were able to squeeze into fighting range, I lost 3 knights.

But even after all this, I had the one Ripper, the Knights, and the Engine in range of the objective. The Deepkin had the Eidolon and one group of eels, so I STILL held it!

Seraphon 13,
    Deepkin 7

Turn 5:

Deepkin won roll-off and took the double turn. The Eidolon once again tried to get Gravetide off, but once again I unbound it. I also unbound their second spellcasting attempt, so no magic for the Eidolon this turn. Instead of re-rolling a casting roll, he opted to heal, but only healed 1 wound, and missed his shooting. The Deepkin rolled pretty badly this round, which is probably why I was able to survive. Their last Namarti in the 1st unit managed to kill my last Ripperdactyl, but the Eidolon, eels and 2nd unit of Namarti manged to leave one of my Knights alive!

On my turn, I used all my spells! I switched to Meteoric Convocation, and I was able to take out all that was left of the 2nd group of Namarti with it after softening them up with another blast from the Engine. I then finished the Eidolon with Arcane Bolt after he failed to unbind it, and I rolled a 10 so I did d3 MW and rolled a 2. So the Slann lived up to his magical reputation this battel for sure! My knights turned to fight the eels and did no damage once again, but were still able to block them from the objective. My Oldblood finished off the single Namarti in the 1st unit with his sunbolt gauntlet, and then charged the eels, taking 2 of them out. The engine attacked the eels and, you guessed it, did no damage, lol! But this was the final round, and for the first time this round I had managed to kill a lot of stuff on the Deepkin's side. So the final score was:

Seraphon 18,
    Deepkin 7

Major Victory for the Seraphon!

That battle took about 3 hours since neither of us were super experienced. But it was definitely fun! I was probably a lot luckier than I should have been, especially with the Kroxigors surviving so long against Morrsarr guard and having so many attacks fail completely. But thanks to teleporting and summoning, I was able to hold him off the objective and keep myself from getting tabled, which is definitely what would have happened had I not summoned what I did. The reason I chose not to use Skinks in this battle was because of the battle plan. Take and hold the center of the map, no not a lot of movement shenanigans to be had there. I basically figured that I could summon slightly more durable stuff and use it to hold them off for as long as possible, and it worked! But darn, those Deepkin are actually really tough to kill! Other than the Namarti, the eels and the Eidolon were very, very tanky and did a ton of damage. I didn't manage to take out either unit of eels, and the Eidolon was only damaged by magic and EotG MW spam. And this was the spellcaster Eidolon! I'd hate to see what the melee one was like, lol!

But anyway, first official battle report! I hope you enjoyed it! C&C welcome, and I hope to post many more of these in the future!

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Awesome bat rep. Glad to see some write ups for Meeting Engagements!

Lizerd and Kilvakar like this.
  3. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Thanks! I was hoping for a full 2000 point battle, but my friend who was playing the Deepkin wanted to try out that specific battle plan. It was definitely fun! I'm looking forward to getting more experience with larger battles, different battle plans, and facing off against different armies. I expect I'll have more Seraphon vs. Deepkin battle reports though, as the Deepkin player is a friend of mine.

4. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Here's my most recent battle report, I have a couple others to write up as well.

Seraphon vs. Skaventide, 2000 points.

My list:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Thunder Lizard
    Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Arcane Might
    - Spell: Celestial Equilibrium
    Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Engine of the Gods (260)
    - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)

Battleline
    20 x Skinks (120)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers

Units
    4 x Salamander Hunting Pack (80)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (220)
    - Weapon: Solar Engine
    Bastiladon (220)

Battalions
    Thunderquake Temple-host (150)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (70)
    Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 98

My opponent's list:

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
    Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Master of Rot and Ruin
    - Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
    Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
    - Artefact: Liber Bubonicus
    Plague Priest (80)

Battleline
    40 x Plague Monks (280)
    - Woe-stave
    - 1x Standard Bearers
    - 1x Plague Harbingers
    40 x Plague Monks (280)
    - Woe-stave
    - 1x Standard Bearers
    - 1x Plague Harbingers
    40 x Plague Monks (280)
    - Woe-stave
    - 1x Standard Bearers
    - 1x Plague Harbingers

Artillery
    Plagueclaw (160)
    Plagueclaw (160)
    Plagueclaw (160)

Battalions
    Congregation of Filth (160)

Wounds: 169

Battleplan: Blood and Glory

Turn 1: Skaven had fewer drops than me, so he picked going first. He let me chose the side, so I got the side with my Realmshaper engine, but he also placed two out of his three Gnawholes near my backline. The Engine was right in the middle of my territory, positioned so that my Slann and 10 Skinks could garrison it and be within range to shoot at either objective on my side. I went full defense, placing 10 skinks and the Slann behind the Engine, 10 skinks up front to screen the left-hand side of the board where he had placed two of this three Plague Monk blocks, the Plague Furnace, and the Screaming Bell. I then placed Kroak, the Engine of the Gods, Astrolith Bearer, 1 Bastiladon, and the Salamander all clumped reasonably close together on that side of the field, with the Salamander preventing the use of 1 Gnawhole. On the right-hand side, I just had 1 Bastiladon and the 20 Skinks with boltsiptters. He placed his Plague Priest on foot and the third block of Monks by the Gnawhole in his backline, but the Skinks on my left side of the field also prevented the use of the Gnawhole.

He got to go first due to fewer drops. My magical superiority was immediately clear, as I unbound both of his spells. Then he fired all of the catapults into Kroak, who only ended up taking 2 damage thanks to a combination of one of the catapults missing, and the other two either failing to wound or Kroak's two layers of save-after-save thanks to his ability and the Astrolith Bearer. He did end up making all of his charges thanks to the Blood and Glory battleplan having no middle-ground, and he deployed most of his army right up at the border. However, my noble unit of 10 Skinks was able to block all the charges from getting into full melee range with Lord Kroak. The Furnace and the Bell did have some range on some of their attacks, but Kroak only ended up taking one more damage from that. One group of monks was able to make it around the other side and get into combat with my Engine of the Gods and Astrolith Bearer. Even after the nerf, Plague Monks are still devastating on the charge and they knocked the Engine down to 2 wounds left. They did nothing to the Astrolith Bearer, though.

When I got activations, I first had the Engine go (before it got bracketed hard) and put some nice damage into the Bell with his horns, then the rest of the melee attacks went into the block of Monks. Next, the Astrolith Bearer got to smack down a couple more rats, and then the Skinks piled in just enough to keep the leftmost group of Monks from being able to pile in close enough to reach Kroak. They did no damage, though, and all but two of them died to the Monks' woe staves when their turn to fight came up.

My turn:

Kroaknado: Activate! This is where I can truly see what a beast Lord Kroak is in the new battletome. I had my Slann cast Celestial Equilibrium for the additional +1 to casting, then Celestial Apotheosis which healed the EotG for 2 wounds, bringing him back up to a slightly better bracket, then Bound Geminids which immediately went into the nearby Plague Monks and Furnace, applying their debuffs. Then Kroak got busy! First, I had him use Balewind Vortex for the extra spell and defense, and proceeded to hit all three times with Celestial Deliverance, dealing severe damage to both groups of Monks, killing the Bell, and nearly killing the Furnace. While the +4 casting made Comet's Call get 1d6 targets, I still rolled a 1, lol! But that magic bombardment was enough to weaken both hero units to the point where I was able to finish them off in the shooting phase.

During the movement phase I had the Slann and his 10 Skinks move into the Realmshaper, and moved the Bastiladon on the left side of the field into shooting range of the Plague Priest and his accompanying Plague Monks.

The EotG rolled the MW bolt, which did some damage to both groups of Plague Monks and the Furnace. I used the Thunder Lizard command ability to roll again, and rolled 10 Saurus! A shot from the Salamander and the Bastiladon brought the Furnace to near death. Then I used the command ability again to finish off the Furnace with another shot from the Bastiladon.

(Please let me know if that's wrong, everything I could find at the moment seemed to indicate that unless there's a limit indicated, you can use the same command ability twice, as long as it affects different units.)

The Skinks with boltspitters and the Bastiladon were able to take out the Plague Priest, thus preventing the remaining block of Monks from using the Gnawhole.

During the combat phase the EotG managed to take out a few more Plague Monks, and then went down to their retaliation. My Astrolith Bearer took out a couple more, and my Bastiladon in the main group got into combat with the other group of Monks. While neither group was taken out, I won the roll-off for round 2, and my opponent decided to concede since there was no way the remaining Plague Monks would survive another round, and the third group could no longer use the Gnawhole, and was too far away to be of any use for a couple of turns.

I definitely learned that even the small units of troops are extremely useful for screening, even though they won't do anything in combat. I really liked the combination of Kroak and the shooting from the dinosaurs. I haven't been able to really use Lord Kroak to his full potential yet, and it definitely felt really good to see what he can do. The Bastiladons both performed really well, especially in the Thunder Lizard and Thunderquake combination. The EotG seems like it would actually do really well also, if my opponents didn't always focus it down before everything else. The 1+ save rule for the Bastiladons seems a lot more useful than we were thinking at first, especially if we have the means to shut down the enemy trying to MW them down with spells.

Lizerd, Aginor, Imrahil and 1 other person like this.
  5. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

If you only learned that Tarpits are amazing for strategy then you still learned one of the best lessons of this game.

as to your question about the TL command usage, you did it correctly. unless the command ability specifies otherwise the only limit to a command abilities number of uses is your limit of command points. since the TL CA specifically states only once per unit per turn, and you used it on two different units once, you are using it exactly as it is supposed to be used.

6. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Having our troops go in first and keeping our dinosaurs in reserve seems like a very good strategy from what I can tell. Our infantry can hold off enemy units long enough for the dinosaurs to deal damage with shooting and get into position for maximum melee damage with charges. Our monsters all seem to hit much harder after the update, but are still somewhat lacking in the survivability Department (except for the bastiladon) so having them get to fight first seems to be very important.

Lizerd, LizardWizard and ILKAIN like this.
  7. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Quick addition, don't really have a turn-by-turn as these happened a few weeks ago. But I wanted to report on the bad as well as the good, lol!

I played four games with my brother who's more into Chaos and Destruction, as he likes to play Orruks and Skaven vs. my Seraphon and Idoneth on TTS.

I have to say, if nothing else I learned that sometimes you have to deploy more defensively and be willing to concede objective points early on if you are facing a "smash your face" army like the Orruks. Two out of three games vs. Ironjawz I got utterly annihilated. Each time it was because I underestimated the huge amounts of extra movement they get. With enough command points, they can essentially cannon blast their entire army across the board and right into your lines. And you don't want that to happen, lol! I'd prepared all of the strategies and buffs we've been theorycrafting since the new release, and I felt that I could handle the Orruks, especially since Scaly Skin is supposed to counter them pretty effectively. I learned that it didn't matter if I took a bit less damage if an entire army focused on dealing damage was able to crash into your lines all at once :p

Gordrakk will one-shot any of our monsters or heroes, except maybe the Dread Saurian. With him being able to move 24" then charge with a +2 or +3 bonus to charging he *will* get to you unless you're far behind screens. I did not screen well enough, and he was able to take out Lord Kroak in turn 1 in the first battle, and my Oldblood on Carnosaur in turn 1 in the second battle. Oh, I forgot to mention. He out-dropped me every time, so he always got to go first. I conceded turn 2 in each battle because there was literally nothing I could do after losing my general and 1/3 to 1/2 of my army in turns 1 and 2 each time. Brutes and 'Ardboys aren't impossible to deal with, but Gore-Gruntas and all of their heroes are really scary. Also, even though it's a spell, Orruks getting 1-2 teleports per turn is not something I was used to dealing with, lol!

The third time I faced him I was better prepared, but still got hit a little too hard turn 1. I was able to focus down his Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (he didn't bring Gordrakk that time) with Lord Kroak spellcasting and a Carnosaur attack, but only after he and a group of Gore-Gruntas took out my Sunblood and most of his block of 30 Saurus. I took out his Megaboss on foot as well, leaving me short on troops and him short on heroes. It was after 1am at that point, so we called it a draw and went to sleep.

I had far better results against the Skaven, winning 1 game against them with the Seraphon and 1 with the Idoneth.

1st game: He brought a different list this time, featuring Clanrats, a unit of Stormvermin, two Ratling Guns, two Warp Lightning Cannons, and the invincible Verminlord Warpseer, along with a couple other heroes I don't remember. I was trying out Idoneth Deepkin, and had a Morrsarr Guard list led by an Akhelian King and supplemented with 3 Allopexes and a Leviadon! I used the Akhelian Corps battalion, as the re-rolls seemed like a good idea. Turn 1, I actually got to go first and moved up the field to take objectives and get some shooting off. That was about it.

Then, a major mistake was made. He rolled a 1 for his power roll with a fully-buffed and overcharged Warp Lightning Cannon. He mistakenly believed that the Warp Lightning Cannon would deal a maximum of 24 mortal wounds fully-buffed, but we later confirmed it to be 12 max. But these things happen, lol! My whole unit of Allopexes was taken down and did not get to see melee. This put me at a disadvantage, but I was able to make up for it when my Morrsarr Guard made it into charging range the next turn. They certainly do quite a bit of damage, and I can see why they were OP when released. I personally don't think they're as good as our Knights are now, but they're still a very solid unit. My Leviadon cut through 40 Clanrats and a Screaming Bell! But I can see why it's considered over-costed. Definitely a tough beast to take down, however, as he managed to survive the entire battle.

It was a very close fight though. Things were swinging back in my favor when my eels managed to chew through a large number of his rats, my Akhelian King took out two of his lesser heroes, and my Leviadon held down the center of the battlefield, preventing him from ever getting the center objective. But on his next turn he got lucky again and his ratling guns and remaining Stormvermin took out most of my eels. The entire game came down to the last turn and depended on who won the roll-off. I won, and he conceded. The reason being that we were fighting over a single objective at that point, as neither of us could have knocked the other off any others. I held it with a Tidecaster, but he had around 6 Stormvermin left that could get to it. However, since I got to go first, I would have been able to move my Leviadon into a position where it could charge the Stormvermin, preventing them from getting to the objective even if they weren't all killed. Very fun and close game that came down to the wire!

And for the 2nd game, I went back to Seraphon!

This time, I wanted to run Thunder Lizards. This was the list I used:

Leaders
    Stegadon with Skink Chief (270)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Prime Warbeast
    - Artefact: Cloak of Feathers
    Lord Kroak (320)
    Skink Priest (70)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Hand of Glory

Battleline
    40 x Skinks (240)
    - Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
    Stegadon (240)
    - Weapon: Sunfire Throwers
    Stegadon (240)
    - Weapon: Sunfire Throwers

Units
    12 x Salamander Hunting Pack (240)

Battalions

Bound Purple Sun of Shyish (60)
    Bound Quicksilver Swords (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
    Wounds: 103

This list performed admirable against the Skaven. He was running a Clanrat horde list backed up by 2 Warp Lightning Cannons, 2 Screaming Bells, and Lord Skreech the Verminking.

My Chief Stegaon took some damage from the cannons turn 1, but on turn 2 I was able to get him into flamethrower range and he killed a lot of Clanrats. Then he charged the Verminking and killed him! My other two Stegadons sniped out the Warplock Bombadier and damaged one of the Cannons. While he managed to kill the Stegadon Chief the next round, I was able to finish off both of his Warp Lightning Cannons and one of his Screaming Bells. This was all done from range with Lord Kroak and the Stegadon bows. He wasn't able to move his Clanrats down far enough to charge my Stegadons, so was able to weaken them even further with more shooting and charge the Stegadons into two of his Clanrat hordes. One Stegadon fell, but both hordes were severely damaged. He conceded turn 4 when my Skinks and Salamanders finished off the two hordes, leaving him with just one block of 40 Clanrats and one Screaming bell left, which weren't enough to claim enough objectives to win.

8. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Last weekend I had a very casual game against the dreaded Orruks. 1k list, no objectives other than to wipe the enemy. If we were both still on the table at the end of turn 5 the winner would be decided by the point total of models killed..

My list:

Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (230)
    - General
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (110)

Battleline
    10 x Saurus Knights (200)
    - Lances
    Stegadon (240)
    - Weapon: Skystreak Bow

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (220)

Total: 1000 / 1000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 200
    Wounds: 59

My opponent's list:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
    - Warclan: Ironjawz

Leaders
    Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
    - General
    - Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
    - Command Trait: Ironclad
    - Artefact: Daubing of Mork
    - Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
    Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
    - Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Battleline
    5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
    - Pair of Brute Choppas
    - 1x Gore Choppas
    3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
    - Pig-iron Choppas

Units
    5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
    - 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
    - 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers

Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (30)

Total: 1000 / 1000
    Allies: 0 / 200
    Wounds: 61

Turn 1:

Orruks went first and moved up the field. Surprisingly, this time I was able to keep my army far back enough to avoid getting charged turn 1, so that was nice for a change.

On my turn I did some shooting and was able to charge his Maw-Krusha with my Knights. However, due to poor rolls and the Megaboss being on a 2+ save re-rolling 1s due to Mystic Shield from the Weirdknob Shaman *and* a 6+ ward save, I only got a couple wounds through. And this is with both command buffs from the Oldblood and Scar-Vet! My Bastiladon and Stegadon managed to shoot down one of his Gore-Gruntas, though.

Turn 2:

I get the double-turn, and I'm able to get my Scar-Vet and Oldblood to surround the Maw-Krusha. I think he's going to go down for sure, but the Knights and Scar-Vet deal absolutely no damage to him, and the Oldblood only got a couple of wounds through due once again to the insane saves of the Maw-Krusha. I charge his Gore-Gruntas with my Stegadon and take out one of them. The dice seem to be hating me so far. My shooting did nothing this round. My Oldblood loses over half his HP from the Maw-Krusha's counterattack.

The Orruks hit back hard, getting the Brutes into combat with the Knights and start chewing through them. I lose more health on my Oldblood from the Maw-Krusha's bellow, and he dies when the Maw-Krusha activates first in the combat phase. He kills a couple Knights as well, having allocated his mount's attacks to them. Of course, because he died, the Brutes get to go next and take out 3 of my Knights. The Gore-Gruntas do a bit of damage to my Stegadon, and he takes out another one in his turn. My Knights got a little bit of damage in on the Maw-Krusha when they fought, but lose the rest of the unit to the Brutes.

Turn 3:

I win the roll-off once again, thankfully. I am able to actually finish off the Maw-Krusha with two very lucky Bastiladon shots and finally some 1s rolled on his saves! My Stegadon fails to kill the last Gore-Grunta, however. My Scar-Vet dies to the Brutes after taking out one of them.

The Orruks get the Ardboys into combat with the Stegadon and Bastiladon, but now it's my turn to be the tank! :D The Bastiladon's 1+ save really comes in clutch here, and I only take 2 wounds. The Brutes and Shaman move toward my remaining Dinosaurs.

Turn 4:

The Orruks get the double-turn this time, and the Gore-Grunta has an epic last stand battle but finally dies to my Stegadon. The Ardboys fail to do any damage to my Bastiladon, and the Brutes move into cover since they're still too far away to charge, surprisingly.

On my turn I'm able to shoot the Weirdknob down and finish the Ardboys in close combat with both dinosaurs. Things are looking pretty good for me at this point.

Turn 5:

The Orruks win the roll-off and charge my Stegadon. He lives on just a couple wounds left. However, he and the Bastiladon fail to wipe the Brutes on my turn, two of them left alive at the end of the battle.

Result: Victory for the Seraphon!

Two dinosaurs vs two Brutes definitely leaves more points on my side. This is actually only the second battle I've won against the Orruks, and I would say it's entirely because I focused on shooting over melee for the most part. Everything I had in melee with their tougher units died quickly while dealing very little damage. Of course, we were playing around with an ultra-defensive Maw-Krusha so that made things very difficult. His mount trait the Weird'un would have also made it difficult for me to hit him with spells, but I didn't bother bringing any casters this battle so it didn't matter.

In smaller-scale battles, I definitely feel like monsters perform better. With less volume of attacks that can be focused on them they can actually get into combat and wreck face. Someday I will get a fully-buffed Carnosaur to one-shot a Maw-Krusha, I swear! :D

While his Maw-Krusha tied down most of my army and eventually killed it off, the shooting from my two other dinos was what ended up winning the battle for me. Also, Bastiladons are definitely worth taking if your opponent doesn't have a ton of MW output. Stegadons are also very solid units, but Carnosaurs just don't deal out much damage if the enemy is able to avoid or save vs their jaw attacks. I'm still going to keep using them, probably going to focus on getting them to mulch infantry rather than always launching them at enemy monsters.

Lizerd, Imrahil and LizardWizard like this.
  9. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Gratz on the win! Thanks for posting the battle report. I enjoyed reading it. Love that your Bastiladon held on for so long.

10. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Today I had another Idoneth Deepkin game, this time vs the Blades of Khorne. It was very close, came down to the very last turn.

Battle Plan: Border Wars

My list:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
    - Enclave: Fuethan

Leaders
    Akhelian King (230)
    - General
    - Bladed Polearm
    - Command Trait: Unstoppable Fury
    - Artefact: Potion of Hateful Frenzy

Isharann Tidecaster (100)
    - Lore of the Deeps: Vorpal Maelstrom

Battleline
    6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)
    6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)
    3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (170)

Units
    4 x Akhelian Allopexes (400)
    - Razorshell Harpoon

Behemoths
    Akhelian Leviadon (310)

Battalions
    Akhelian Corps (100)

Wounds: 120

Blades of Khorne:

Unfortunately I don't have my opponent's exact list, we were playing over TTS. But he had a Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage, a couple Bloodstokers, a Bloodsecrator, a Slaughterpriest, three units of Bloodreavers and two units of Wrathmongers, and a Chaos Warshrine. He was going for a mostly mortal list and I think he had the Dark Feast battalion, because any of his Bloodreavers anywhere near his heroes were getting a ton of extra attacks.

Turn 1:

He goes first his Slaughterpriest moves into the Altar of Khorne and from there basically does Blood Sacrifice every turn, whittling down his small unit of Bloodreavers for extra Bloot Tithe points. Even with the extra movement, none of his troops are able to get into combat with mine, although he's able to grab both of the border objectives.

On my turn, I go for a full eel rush after some shooting from the sharks and Leviadon. One group of six eels charges the right objective, one group of six charges the middle of the board where his Bloodthirster and some Bloodreavers were stationed near the Altar. My group of three runs up the left side of the board and tries to block a group of Wrathmongers and Bloodreavers from moving into my territory.

My eels do a pretty good amount of damage, taking out a significant number of Bloodreavers on the right objective and the ones in the middle deal a lot of damage to the Bloodthirster, but lose one eel in retaliation. The ones on the left objective deal a small amount of damage to the Chaos Warshrine and tie up the Bloodreavers and Wrathmongers in combat.

Turn 2:

Khorne wins the roll off and goes first again. He continues to sacrifice more of his small unit of Bloodreavers for more points, but thankfully he fails his Bloodboil prayers. He runs his Chaos Warshrine back to the objective in his territory. His counter punch takes out my eels on the left objective, but his large group of Wrathmongers and Bloodreavers aren't able to get into my territory as a result. His Bloodthirster and Bloodreavers take out another eel in the middle engagement, but his Bloodthirster goes down. My eels on the right objective lose all but 2 to the massive output of attacks from the Wrathmongers and Bloodreavers on that objective. All but 1 of the Bloodreavers goes down to their counter-attacks, though.

On my turn my Tidecaster manages to take out the last Bloodreaver on the right objective with an Arcane Bolt that he fails to deny. Then I retreat with the eels in the middle and right side of the board, moving them deeper into enemy territory and preparing for another charge. This opens up a straight line for my Allopexes and Leviadon to charge the right flank, and they are able to claim the objective after wiping the Wrathmongers. They both take mortals from killing them, though.

Turn 3:

I get the double-turn, and it's High Tide! He denies my casting, and I don't get any more spells off the rest of the game. My Allopexes pull back toward my undefended rear objective, because his main remaining horde is now free to move towards it. My Akhelian King dives on and easily kills the Bloodstoker remaining near the right objective, allowing my Leviadon to charge the center of the board. My eels that had retreated charge the group in the center as well, and since all my units get to fight first this round it's a slaughter. We clear the center of the board, leaving only his Slaughterpriest and the Chaos Warshrine and a couple of Bloodreavers left. I also temporarily claim his territory's objective.

On his turn he summons his Bloodthirster back near the middle and also a unit of 15 Bloodletters, which he drops near the left side of the board where most of his forces remain. He runs his Chaos Warshrine to his back objective, contesting it. Because it's high tide, though, even though he's able to charge my Leviadon with his Bloodthirster, my war turtle deals a significant amount of damage to him before he gets to attack. My Leviadon ends the round with 6 wounds left.

Turn 4:

Khorne wins the roll and gets to go first. He absolutely nukes my eels with Bloodboil. D6 damage on a spell/prayer is crazy! He runs his Bloodletters, Wrathmongers and Bloodreavers towards my backline objective, managing to get close enough to take it.

Here is where I'm not 100% sure if I made a mistake or not. But from what I can see, taking the Fuethán enclave means that instead of going to Ebb Tide, I remain in High Tide for turn 4. So my units all fought first again, which definitely made a difference. Somebody let me know if that's not how it's supposed to work!

But my last couple eels do some damage before going down to the Bloodreavers, and the Leviadon finishes off the Bloodthirster!

On my turn I shoot the Bloodletters with my Allopexes, and shoot the Chaos Warshrine with the Leviadon. The Allopexes wipe the Bloodletters on the charge and reclaim my back objective. The Leviadon and Akhelian King are able to finish off the Warshrine, taking Khorne's back objective again!

It all comes down to the final turn. If he gets the double-turn then I have no way of stopping him from summoning stuff in again and contesting his back objective, which would allow Khorne to win with Victory Points. However, I win the double turn! My Allopexes finish off the Bloodreavers and deal a little bit of damage to the Wrathmongers, but most importantly are able to block them from getting to my back objective. With me now literally 1 VP head, contesting the rear objective will no longer win him the game. He decides to have his Slaughterpriest charge in defiantly at my King, who lives with 2 wounds after his assault.

Victory for the Sea Elves!

So this was a fun game that came down to the wire. Very intense! I personally don't see why people think that the Allopexes are bad, they performed amazingly well and I only lost 1 of them the entire time while they absolutely mowed down enemy infantry. I can see how the low bravery is a problem, but if you're going to run such an expensive unit I don't see why you wouldn't have a hero nearby to use CP to pass battleshock. The Deepkin are actually pretty lacking magically, as without any bonuses to casting I was only able to get 1 spell off the entire game due to Khorne denying all my casting. Khorne's army seems vaguely similar to the Seraphon in that their heroes give out a lot of buffs, but a lot of them are free instead of costing CP. But still, take out their heroes and their troops aren't as scary anymore with their low saves. I don't know if a more demon based army would be stronger, though. Would love to face them with the Seraphon someday!

*Edit* I realized after reading the IDK tome that I did indeed play the High Tide reversal rule completely wrong. I still probably would have been able to win, as my King would most likely have been able to kill the Bloodthirster after shooting weakened it, or I could have just retreated with the Leviadon and ran the King onto the back objective anyway. But I fought first with the Leviadon vs the summoned Bloodthirster in round 4 when I definitely should not have. I misunderstood the rules as Fuethán getting to reverse the tide order whenever they wanted, when it actually meant it starts in reverse order. My opponent and I both agreed that it might not have made a difference in the end, but Khorne had an even better chance of winning in that case, and it still came down to the wire.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Lizerd, Imrahil and LizardWizard like this.
  11. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Thanks! It was a fun battle. I'm really loving the Bastiladon so far, they've always performed very well for me.

12. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Alright! Another Seraphon vs. Ironjawz battle report! This was the first time I felt that I legitimately won against an experienced opponent while playing vs. the Orks. To clarify, this was against a very experienced AoS player and Ork main, while the last game I played vs. Orruks was against a family member who is still learning the game like I am. This time I was playing a Thunder Lizard list on the Knife to the Heart battleplan.

My list:

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
    Engine of the Gods (260)
    - General
    - Artefact: Cloak of Feathers
    Lord Kroak (320)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    Skink Priest (70)
    Terradon Chief (70)

Battleline
    20 x Skinks (120)
    20 x Skinks (120)
    Stegadon (240)

Units
    3 x Kroxigor (140)
    3 x Terradon Riders (90)
    - Sunleech Bolas

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (220)

Battalions

Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (70)

Wounds: 113

My opponent's list:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
    - Warclan: Ironjawz
    Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
    Orruk Megaboss (140)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Brutish Cunning
    Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
    - Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
    Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
    - Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
    Orruk Warchanter (110)
    - Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
    Orruk Warchanter (110)
    - Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Battleline
    10 x Orruk Brutes (260)
    - Pair of Brute Choppas
    - 1x Gore Choppas
    10 x Orruk Brutes (260)
    - Pair of Brute Choppas
    - 1x Gore Choppas
    5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
    - Pair of Brute Choppas
    - 1x Gore Choppas
    3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
    - Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
    Brute Fist (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 2
    Wounds: 131

Turn 1:

I did not get to use my Realmshaper as it ended up on his side and he garrisoned his Shaman in it with a unit of 5 Brutes in front of it. But it didn't end up coming into play at all during the game anyway.

My opponent of course out-dropped me, and picked to go first. This time, I had decided to deploy very defensively with my three dinos in a castle behind a small terrain piece with Kroak right behind them, the Kroxigors in front of the dinos. The Skinks blocked the flank on the corner and the Starpriest and Priest were right behind them, and the Terradon Chief and Riders behind the dinos. So basically I clumped up in the corner knowing that Gordrakk would get to me turn 1 no matter what, and would kill anything he attacked except the Skinks. I also made sure he would be unable to charge behind my Skink line and attack Kroak or my Engine of the Gods. I felt like I really learned my lesson in this situation, having had my key units wiped by Maw-Krushas in most of my battles against this player turn 1 pretty much every game in the past. He charged my Skinks right in the middle, drawing both units into combat, while everything else moved up the board, but was unable to get into charge range.

I fought back with both units, and then on my turn I poured all my spells and shooting into him. So mortal wounds from the Comet's Call and the Engine, shooting from the Bastiladon and Stegadon, the Priest and Starpriest, and the Skinks and he was still up after that. Kroak's Comet's Call also managed to hit the Shaman and Megaboss for 1 and 2 wounds respectively. My Terradons moved up and tried to shoot at Gordrakk but did nothing. I wanted to save their rock drop for later, but never actually used it. My Skinks were able to finish him in the fight phase, though, ending that threat. This is also the first time I've managed to kill Gordrakk in a battle! I cast the Geminids, but his Weird'un mount trait blocked it. I moved the spell past him after tagging him with it to attempt to block the Brutes behind him.

Turn 2:

He won the roll-off for turn 2, so he went first, naturally. He dispelled the Geminids, and I was not able to cast them again for the rest of the battle. He charged my Skinks with a unit of 10 Brutes and got his Gore-Gruntas into my Kroxigors. The Skinks took a lot of casualties, and the Brutes managed to finish off one unit. His Gore-Gruntas only wounded one of my Kroxigors, however. Lucky rolls for the most part, and he only got 1 mortal wound on the charge. I killed two of them on the return fight. Kroxigors can really dish it out with the +1 from Skinks and the rend on all their attacks. Mortal wounds on 6's to hit with their jaw attacks is also pretty nice, especially in Coalesced Thunderquake with Savage mode on. His megaboss and the other two Brute units were still out of range, but he was able to get them just within range of the center objective. So now if I failed to take it from him I would lose by the end of the next turn.

On my turn, I switched the Constellation from the Sage's Staff to the Hunter's Steed, and switched Thunderquake to Swift. I got really, really lucky and rolled 3 extra CP with Kroak and the Starpriest. Kroak got Comet's Call off again, hitting the Shaman and Megaboss, put Mystic Shield on the Bastiladon, did a couple mortal wounds with Stellar Tempest on the Brutes that were fighting the Skinks, and finished off the Gore-Gruntas with Arcane Bolt. I moved everything toward the objective and poured all of my shooting into the unit of Brutes on the objective. This managed to deal quite a bit of damage, but not wipe the unit. Thankfully, they were already within 9" of my Kroxigors and Engine, so they did not get to move for free.
    My two Kroxigors and my flying Engine of the Gods charged the objective and got into combat with the Brutes and Megaboss. I moved and charged the Terradons toward the back of the Brutes, and left the Skinks on the flank to keep the Brutes tied up over there.

My Kroxigors were able to kill the Megaboss since he was already weakened from Kroak's spellcasting, but since the Engine fought first the Megaboss was able to kill a Kroxigor first. But the Engine was able to finish off the Brutes, meaning that I now held the objective. I lost the remaining Skinks.

Like happens in so many of these games, the next turn roll was very important. I won this time, getting a double-turn. We looked things over, and it was clear that barring incredibly bad luck, I was going to take the second objective this turn and he had no way of getting to the one I had just taken. My Kroxigors and Engine were in range of charging the 5 Brutes in front of my Engine, and my Terradons could have ran/flown over that group to claim the objective, especially since my Kroxigors and Engine would at the very least kill enough of the Brutes to ensure that I held the objective. His group of 10 Brutes that killed my Skinks had only lost 1 or 2 models, but would not be able to claim the objective I would be leaving open this turn, so my opponent conceded!

Major victory for the Seraphon!

I really felt that while luck went my way in regards to my Kroxigors surviving a Gore-Grunta charge, thanks to a lot of the advice from you all as well as tips from my opponent who is vastly more experienced than me, I was able to win a legitimate battle against the Orruks playing someone who was definitely above my general skill level. Deploying defensively against Orruks is really important, and none of my dinosaurs even took any damage this time. In my earlier games, I would have lost Kroak or my Engine turn 1, and gotten everything else tied up in combat and been unable to do anything for the rest of the battle. But this time I was able to take a hit from Gordrakk, actually kill him, and keep my dinos and Kroak alive long enough for them to do what they needed to do. It got dicey when he claimed both objectives in turn 2, but Thunder Lizards have to recover objectives, not rush to claim them, and playing safe ended up being the right choice.

13. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Wow! That sounds great. Very exciting and well done!

14. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

It was a lot of fun! I'm loving the Thunder Lizards a lot so far. This was also a real tabletop game and not on TTS, so getting to actually use my models was nice :)

I currently only have about 60 Skinks, so I don't have enough for the full Skink spam lists, but I have plenty of dinosaurs, so I like using them. Also, I've lost to this guy when he's playing Orks four times and gotten a draw once, so getting a real win against the Greenskins was very satisfying!

Lizerd and Just A Skink like this.
  15. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

I had a TTS game today vs the Maggotkin of Nurgle, it was very interesting!

My list:

- Constellation: Koatl's Claw
    Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (210)
    - General
    - War Spear
    - Command Trait: Dominant Predator
    - Artefact: Eviscerating Blade
    Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell: Celestial Equilibrium
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    Skink Starseer (140)
    - Spell: Celestial Harmony

Battleline
    - Lances
    - Lances
    - Lances
    10 x Saurus Guard (200)

Balewind Vortex (40)
    Bound Quicksilver Swords (40)
    Bound Purple Sun of Shyish (60)

Wounds: 118

My opponent's list:

Allegiance: Nurgle
    Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
    Lord of Afflictions (190)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Bloated with Corruption
    - Artefact: Rustfang
    The Glottkin (380)
    - Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
    Great Unclean One (320)
    - Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
    - Artefact: The Endless Gift
    - Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
    2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (190)
    30 x Plaguebearers (300)

Battalions
    Affliction Cyst (140)

Extra Command Point (50)
    Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 3
    Wounds: 114

We decided to roll randomly for the terrain features and battleplan, and we got the Gift from the Heavens. This is one I hadn't done yet, so I was excited to see how it played out.

After deployment, he got to dictate first turn, and he had me go first as there were no objectives and even with his extra speed on his Blightlords he couldn't reach me turn one. I decided to move up and attempt to make an 11-inch charge with on one of my Knight units with the help of the Skink Starseer, but I failed. He got to charge into me on his turn, but failed to do much damage. Here's how things looked at that point:

20210321161833_1.jpg

So as you can see, he got his Plaguebearers into my Knights, dispelled my Balewind Vortex I had Kroak on, and got his Blightlords into my left flank Knights and Kroak. However, with him doing very little damage I was in a good spot to retaliate. My Knights on the left flank killed one Blightlord and wounded the other, and the Knights on the right took out 10 Plaguebearers.

On turn 2, the meteors landed on the exact opposite corners of the battlefield, making it so that his Glottkin held one and my main group of Knights+Carnosaur held mine.

I won the roll-off for turn 2 and went first. I finished off the Blightlord on the left flank with Kroak's magic after he got the Balewind Vortex up again, and he did some really good damage to the GUO and the Lord of Afflictions. With the flies on the left flank gone, I charged the Glottkin and I was able to maneuver my right flank group to get my Carnosaur and 2 of my Knights from the unit with him into combat with the GUO. My Knights already in combat didn't do much, the Plaguebearers rolled well with their ward save. My Carnosaur actually did well, despite not getting any 6's to hit. But the GUO was left on one wound, but thankfully the two Knights next to him were able to deal a single wound with their spears and finish off Big Chonkus.

My Knights on the left were able to pile in around the Glottkin and claim the objective, but most of them died when he fought back. He definitely did the most damage of any of the Nurgle units this battle. The middle where Kroak was became a slugfest of saves and ward saves on both sides. He did managed to take out a couple guard, and even got a couple wounds through on Kroak, but nothing too serious. I didn't do any damage to speak of to the Blightlords, we were both rolling well for saves and rather poorly for attacks. I scored 4 victory points for holding both objectives. Here's the battlefield at the end of my turn

20210321200650_1.jpg

After my opponent's turn:

20210321210107_1.jpg

I won the roll-off again, and I was able to snipe off the Glottkin with magic. Being behind on victory points and without a clear way to claim and hold either objective for long, my opponent conceded and the forces of Nurgle fled the field!

This was a pretty fun game, the Nurgle list was definitely a more casual one. Not that mine was super-competitive, but my Knights did a good job of dealing with the small Blightlord units. They failed, however, to take out the Plaguebearers, and I had rushed my Starseer and Starpriest up to stop them from piling onto the objective by the end. This is probably the first time I've had a Carnosaur do well, as I almost always get them focused down turn one. If Nurgle wasn't so tanky I would have stomped them hard. But as it was it was a relatively well-matched game, even though I felt like I did have the advantage, especially with Kroak nuking them with his flat 3 damage from Celestial Deliverance.

I'm beginning to think that GW doesn't want "slow" armies to actually be slow, lol! So far, every army I've played who's supposedly "slow" on the battlefield always has a bunch of special abilities to give them extra movement. Orruks, Khorne, and now Nurgle all seem slow on paper, but they all have either allegiance, sub-faction or battalion abilities to compensate for it if they want.

But still, victory for the Seraphon!

16. chefofwar
    Chameleon Skink

chefofwar Well-Known Member

I feel like I have been selling myself short. I read that rule as only being able to use 1 spell slot to gain a summoning roll. you can use all of them?

LizardWizard and Kilvakar like this.
  17. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Old battletome. We used to be able to have Slann use all their spell slots for summoning, but now it's just one. On the one hand, everyone used to dislike that they were essentially just used as summoning batteries. But on the other hand, are summoning is not very good anymore.

LizardWizard likes this.
  18. chefofwar
    Chameleon Skink

chefofwar Well-Known Member

ah gotcha, I began with the new tome so have that lens on when I read most things

LizardWizard likes this.
  19. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Quick battle report. One of my brothers has been a Warhammer/AoS player for a lot longer than I have, and I've gotten to play a lot of games with him. However, I had the chance over last weekend to get one of my other brothers to play his first game with me. Since I have Seraphon and Idoneth Deepkin, those are the armies we played with. I picked the Deepkin and he was Seraphon. Since it was his first time and I hadn't actually played any 3e games yet, I decided to try out the new edition rules and see if it was actually simpler than 2e, as they seem to claim.

It went pretty well. Here are the lists we used:

For the Lizards:

- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
    - Triumphs:

Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (270)*
    - General
    - Artefact: Blade of Realities
    Engine of the Gods (265)
    Slann Starmaster (265)
    - Spell: Celestial Apotheosis
    Skink Priest (80)*
    - Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal
    Terradon Chief (80)*

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (115)
    Stegadon (265)*
    Stegadon (265)*

Units
    3 x Terradon Riders (115)
    - Sunleech Bolas
    3 x Kroxigor (150)

Endless Spells & Invocations
    Emerald Lifeswarm (60)
    Chronomantic Cogs (45)
    The Burning Head (20)

Core Battalions
    *Warlord

Additional Enhancements
    Artefact

Total: 1995 / 2000
    Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
    Wounds: 91
    Drops: 10

For the Sea Elves:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
    - Enclave: Dhom-Hain
    - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
    - Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
    Akhelian King (230)*
    - General
    - Bladed Polearm
    - Command Trait: Unstoppable Fury
    - Artefact: Potion of Hateful Frenzy
    - Mount Trait: Savage Ferocity
    Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Sea (355)
    - Lore of the Deeps: Arcane Corrasion
    Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (330)

Battleline
    3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (195)*
    3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (195)*
    3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (155)*

Units
    1 x Akhelian Allopexes (125)*
    - Razorshell Harpoon

Behemoths
    Akhelian Leviadon (380)

Endless Spells & Invocations
    The Burning Head (20)

Core Battalions
    *Battle Regiment

Total: 1985 / 2000
    Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
    Wounds: 91
    Drops: 4

I was trying to test the new Eidolon rules for the Deepkin from the Broken Realms update, and they actually did quite well. However, the lack of shooting meant that I was at a disadvantage at range, and Scaly Skin really seems to work well against Deepkin since they have so many attacks at damage 2 or 3. We used the Battle for the Pass and played on my 6x4ft table because I didn't want to deal with trying to shrink the board down.

So as Deepkin I was able to rush forward and claim the center objective and take an early lead on VP, and the board-wide cover from Tides of Death was quite helpful against the Stegadons on turn 1. However, the Slann dropping Comet's Call each turn really did a lot of damage to my King and was the cause of his death by turn 3. Since he didn't have a Bastiladon, he spent a CP to roll the EotG twice per turn. He rolled the lightning bolt most of the time for extra MW's, and rolled Saurus summons on turn 1, which he was able to deploy in front of the Engine and send forward to contest the center objective against my Turtle and Eels.

However, the Terradons and their Chief were able to get to my King and drop rocks on him, which nearly killed him, and the Slann was able to snipe him off by turn 3, so I never got to use his full "Super Saiyan" mode during High Tide. My Shark also died to Stegadon shooting but he was able to take 2 out of the 3 Terradons first, and I finished off the other one with shooting from my wizard Eidolon afterward. The Carnosaur and one of the Stegadons were able to wipe a unit of Morrsarr Guard, although they did get to do quite of bit of damage to the Stegadon first. However, he was able to heal him up quite a bit with the Slann + Emerald Lifeswarm, and the two of them killed the melee Eidolon turn 3. In the end, I was more focused on teaching him the rules than playing hard. But you always go easy on new players, lol! So the Seraphon won on turn 3 because I only had the Turtle and wizard Eidolon left. It was a fun game, and he enjoyed it so I feel like it was a success!

However, I'm definitely thinking that 3e games aren't going to be shorter or less complicated than 2e. I totally forgot about secondary objectives the entire game, and forgot about heroic and monstrous actions most of the time. Thunder Lizards are definitely still a powerful and fun faction, and I feel like if I was playing more sharks and Eels and not double Eidolon the Deepkin would have done a lot better. But it was a very fun introduction game and I hope that we will get to play many more together!

Just A Skink likes this.
  20. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

It's been a while, but I decided to start up a Path to Glory campaign with my bother to help us get into AoS 3e's rules and try the very involved new PTG rules at the same time. I of course will be representing the Lizards, with my brother choosing to side with the bloodthirsty followers of Khorne! (booo!)

We just had our first game today, and it was definitely an interesting and fun experience! We decided to start small and use the Vanguard army size with a 600 point limit to start off with. We both picked the Wild Lands for our starting territories to allow for an extra monster in our lists.

My army is in the Thunder Lizard subfaction. They are attempting to establish a more permanent hold in the Mortal Realms and try to help rebuild after the devastating losses suffered during the events of the Broken Realms. They are currently comprised of:

Tlak-Khan, a Saurus Oldblood who once served under the mighty Kroq-Gar in defense of Lustria in the Old World.

Ra'Tok, a Skink Starpriest who serves as the loyal advisor and seer to his Saurus commander. Named after a Skink Priest who was rumored to have served alongside Kroq-Gar as well. (Yeah, I used the name of the starting Skink Priest from Kroq=Gar's Total War campaign...)

The Cohort of Itzil, a unit of Saurus Knights toughened by life in the savage lands of Ghur.

And the Bastion of Lustria, a mighty Bastiladon armed with a Solar Engine, crewed and guided by veteran Skink beast handlers.

For our first battleplan, we rolled up Breakthrough. I won the roll-off to decide who was invader and custodian. I decided to take on the role of custodian, defending our small fortress against an incursion of Chaos-worshipping mortals devoted to Khorne. I don't know the names of my brother's units yet, but they were:

A Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut.
    A Bloodsecrator
    A Slaughterpriest
    10 Blood Warriors

According to the battleplan, Khorne set up their forces first, and I deployed by placing Tlak-Khan, Ra'Tok, and the Cohort of Itzil near the Realmshaper Engine on the bottom right corner, while the Bastion of Lustria guarded the left flank alone. The Khornate scouting force was eager to return to their base of operations, having been scouting for new territory and new enemies to slaughter for the Blood God. But they had yet to learn that the territory they had been scouting was already inhabited by the Seraphon, who quickly gathered a small ambush force to drive the enemy away. Upon seeing that they were about to be attacked, the Lord of Khorne ordered his men to hold, and waited to see what my forces did first. (I was given first turn)

So immediately Tlak-Khan ordered his Knights to cautiously move up around a temple structure, knowing that the power of the Astromatrix would aid in their defense in case they suffered a sudden charge by the bloodthirsty invaders. Meanwhile, Ra'Tok climbed to the top of the Realmshaper Engine and activated it's power, turning the very jungle against the invaders and damaging the Bloodsecrator. The Bastion immediately began firing upon the main force of Blood Warriors, managing to kill one as the rest of them rolled very well on their saves.

Seeing their enemy's cowardly hesitation, the Lord of Khorne shouted a battlecry and ordered his Blood Warriors to charge the mighty beast, backed up by the Bloodsecrator and Slaughterpriest, who prayed to Khorne for a blessing but was unanswered. Meanwhile, the Lord would move to take on the advancing Saurus cavalry, confident that his mighty artifact that granted him a 3+ ethereal save combined with his mighty axe and powerful charging Juggernaut would allow him to cleave through the scaly soldiers with ease. Once the troops were dead, he would have no trouble finishing off the puny lizard heroes, who would not be able to outrun his Juggernaut.

The Blood Warriors, bolstered by the Goretide, charged in and immediately rushed the Bastiladon. But they were shocked and frustrated when their axes and glaive were completely unable to pierce the creature's thick armor plates, while the Skinks mounted atop the beast laughed at their puny efforts.

I won the priority roll, so I chose not to get double-turned, naturally. Ra'Tok immediately set about using the Realmshaper to deal more damage to the Blood Warriors, Bloodsecrator and Slaughterpriest, although the Slaughterpriest's Amlet of Destiny protected him from harm. Ra'Tok would focus so intently on controlling the Astromatrix that he would fail to successfully cast any spells for the rest of the battle. The Bastion of Lustria began what would turn out to be a long brawl. The Skink crew fired the Solar Engine into the Blood Warriors, but the Blood God was with them, as they managed to make all their saves. If the Beam of Chotec could not harm these foes, neither would the javelins of the Skinks, although they did their best. The Cohort of Itzil continued their advance, and Tlak-Khan left the safety of the Realmshaper Engine to follow and support his Knights. During combat, the Blood Warriors once again failed to damage the mighty Bastiladon, but they were also able to avoid the dinosaur's club-tail as it swung around angrily at the annoying pests who now surrounded it.

On his turn, the Lord of Khorne charged headlong into the Saurus Knights, dealing a mortal wound just from the impact of his Juggernaut alone. He quickly finished off the wounded Saurus with his axe, and then wounded a second one. But the Saurus were tougher than expected, and their scaly skin repelled much of the damage his blade would have otherwise dealt. And the very stones of the temple structure they stood by seems to emit a foul, sorcerous energy that seemed to add to their protection even more. And when the Saurus Knights fought back, their weapons were bolstered by a powerful venom that even the Lord's armor could not withstand.

On the third round I once again won the priority roll, and went first yet again. This time, Tlak-Khan positioned himself to charge in and help his Knights, while the Bastion of Lustria continued to ponderously wade through his targets. The Lord of Khorne heroically recovered some of his lost stamina, shrugging off a bit of the damage he had taken, but Ra'Tok manipulated the Realmshaper to cause the temple stone to burst with power, dealing more mortal wounds. Tlak-Khan braced himself as he knew that if he was able to engage the enemy in combat, it would be his finest hour for this battle! The Bastion killed off a few more Blood Warriors with the Solar Engine, and even Ra'Tok tried to blast the Lord of Khorne with his venombolt, but was unable to make contact. Then Tlak-Khan charged, and bolstered by the Hunter's Steed he was barely able to make to his foe. He struck hard with his warblade, and the Old Ones guided his claws, allowing him to roll two 6s to hit and scoring even more damage than normally possible! Khorne laughed at his servant as he failed his saves and was cut down by Tlak'Khan! Meanwhile, the Bastion continued to fight on, stomping on another Blood Warrior, leaving only two alive. But those two finally managed to wound the Bastiladon, just once.

Khorne won the roll this time, and decided that it would be better to achieve their goal and escape the battlefield than to continue to bring down a single, stubbornly tough monster. So the Slaughterpriest and Bloodsecrator both ran as fast as they could toward the boundary where, as long as they were not hotly pursued, they would be able to make their escape. They would allow the Blood Warriors to continue to hold off the Bastiladon as long as possible. But Khorne's heroes would not leave without spilling blood themselves, so the Slaughterpriest prayed to Khorne again, and this time the Blood God answered, causing the Bastiladon's blood itself to boil and dealing several mortal wounds to it. Then, the Bastiladon took even more damage just from being near the Bloodsecrator's Banner of Wrath. The mighty beast had gone from being nigh-unstoppable to losing half it's wounds in just a single turn. But the Old Ones blessings were more powerful than the wrath of Khorne, and with another blast of his Solar Engine the Bastion was able to finish off the unit of Blood Warriors.

On my turn, Tlak-Khan and the Cohort of Itzil ran towards the Bastion, knowing that they would most likely not make it there in time to affect the battle, but unwilling to sit by and watch. But the mighty beast was not done yet. Spurred on by the skilled Skink handlers, the beast fired the Solar Engine at the Bloodsecrator, and in a single burst of purging flame the vile servant of Chaos was blown away! The Bastion then moved up and over a low wall that the Slaughterpriest was hoping would provide him cover for his retreat, but to no avail. The Bastion charged the Slaughterpriest, and was able to catch him! He gave him a blow with his tail, but once again the Khornate's amulet protected him.

With another roll-off won by me, the outcome of the battle was already sealed as at least a minor victory for the Seraphon. But the Bastion of Lustria was not content with just winning a minor victory. These intruders had to be taught a lesson! With no hope of catching the Slaughterpriest before he reached the edge of the battlefield, Tlak-Khan shouted to the Bastion's crew to finish him! And finish him they did. His tail swung and rolled three hits, then three wounds, and the Slaughterpriest's amulet failed him at last and he was brought down. With Khorne's forces utterly routed, the Serapon roared triumphantly!

In the aftermatch, Tlak-Khan sent out explorers to search the nearby territory for anything useful, but they only found an abandoned mine used by the warmbloods to make their machines. Such things were useless to the Seraphon, so no effort to annex the mine was made. While most of Khorne's forces were able to fall back and regroup to lick their wounds, including the Lord of Khorne and Bloodsecrator, the Slaughterpriest was slain outright by the Bastiladon's final crushing assault.

Tlak-Khan decided that he would need more mobility and speed to keep up with the fast-moving Goretide, so he recruited a sizeable group of Skinks newly spawned at their fortress, and then reinforced their numbers further. Calling themselves the Cohort of Sotek, these red-crested warriors seemed very eager to prove themselves against the forces of the Great Enemy. He and his solders gained much renown for their battle, and the Bastion of Lustria earned his name for his mighty deeds, and became a veteran.

However, upon seeing the devastation wrought by a single monster, the Lord of Khorne decided to fight fire with fire. He would summon and capture a Slaughterbrute of Khorne, as well as recruiting another Slaughterpriest to replace the one that had fallen. He felt confident that things would not go so easily for the Lizardmen when next they met...

Killer Angel likes this.