1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Learn how to sculpt here

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Rikard, Jan 28, 2022.

?

What should we do? (read first post for more info)

1. Sculpting contest

2. A series of mini challenges

3. Something else (please say)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I am good to wait until you can get an entry in. Looking forward to seeing the sculpts.

2. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, sorry about delays, I finally caught Covid and it knocked the stuffing out of me, I've started doing a single piece in a similar style to one mentioned (Raised edges).

3. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, sorry about delays, I finally caught Covid and it knocked the stuffing out of me, I've started doing a single piece in a similar style to one mentioned (Raised edges).

4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Brilliant time for a double post. Hope you're doing well.

5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

@Rikard Hope you are doing well.

Your work continues to inspire me to keep working on my personal sculpting project, the nurgle slaves to darkness I've been working on.

6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

@Rikard ,

May I have your thoughts on using Vaseline/petroleum jelly instead of water as a release agent to keep sculpting tools from sticking to greenstuff?

My first thought is it would work but be hard to remove any traces from the model before priming.

7. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

This is a tricky one, I think I've done more of a disservice in the past to people because I've always given my opinion and the things I've found worked for me, that doesn't however make me right.

I've heard of people using both, but never used either myself. Water I like to caution people on because too much and the green stuff comes apart and refuses to stick to anything.

8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Then what do you use? I promise to take it as your opinion and not scripture

9. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I don't use any water or gels, I use wooden tools on occasion (organic shapes like Lizards and monsters) I get better results with wooden tools because the green stuff sticks to it far more easily than it does metallic ones. Silicon tipped clay shapers are seriously good investment wise, all human faces I sculpt using these, you get far better curvature without any kind of warping or rippling. Sharp tools like scalpels are needed for mouths or any kind of sharp/crisp detailing.

10. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

@Rikard

Continuing to teach myself how to do sculpting one model at a time. Continuing on here with chungus lardfist, a demon Prince of nergal made from a base body of a mordor troll.

I'm letting this stage of milliput dry before adding more. I'm also then going to probably add some details with green stuff as well. So he is nowhere close to being finished in terms of sculpting.

PXL_20220902_114813883~2.jpg PXL_20220902_114844415~2.jpg PXL_20220902_114901486~2.jpg

11. Noxolotl
    Cold One

Noxolotl Well-Known Member

In terms of improving my sculpting skills here's my attempt at making Saurus warriors that I wouldn't mind owning

received_619240182921748.jpeg received_567683131812009.jpeg

12. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

This all looks SERIOUSLY promising, I'll get a proper reply and critiques sorted for this tomorrow.

13. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

14. Slannta's Little Helper
    Kroxigor

Slannta's Little Helper Well-Known Member

@Rikard Whilst I've voted for and love a good competition...as someone who is in and out of these forums as life allows (Mostly out of late) what about a timeless challenge series. Not saying don't do competitions, but a series of specific challenges that people can submit entries to at any time. Instead of winners per sey you could pick out highlighted entries attach them to a main post. I think structurally this would help if;

- They've just found the forum for example.
    - They did the challenge before and want to go back and see how they've improved and try again.
    - You wanted to do a series of interlinked challenges that lead to a final project.

Then slap competitions mostly on known dates as annual events etc so that people/lizards can prep both materials and mentally for the challenges.

15. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Tonight's sculpting practice and inspiration.

PXL_20230217_052622476~2.jpg PXL_20230217_052633279~2.jpg a19593bced57591bb5c33ac4814e9722.jpg

Noxolotl, JTSleep and Imrahil like this.
  16. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Lord-Marcus and Noxolotl like this.
  17. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Thanks imrahil. Sorry I missed this.

@Rikard , I'm having a massive amount of fun playing around with sculpting.

I made a cloak for an ogre captain and turned a spear into a banner.

How do you get smoother consistency when you mix greenstuff? I'm occasionally getting chunks of yellow kneadite that won't incorporate.

PXL_20230224_210245729.PORTRAIT~2.jpg PXL_20230224_205926233.PORTRAIT~2.jpg PXL_20230224_204741622.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Noxolotl and Imrahil like this.