1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Learn how to sculpt here

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Rikard, Jan 28, 2022.

?

What should we do? (read first post for more info)

1. Sculpting contest

2. A series of mini challenges

3. Something else (please say)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I am good to wait until you can get an entry in. Looking forward to seeing the sculpts.

2. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, sorry about delays, I finally caught Covid and it knocked the stuffing out of me, I've started doing a single piece in a similar style to one mentioned (Raised edges).

Noxolotl and Bowser like this.
  3. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, sorry about delays, I finally caught Covid and it knocked the stuffing out of me, I've started doing a single piece in a similar style to one mentioned (Raised edges).

4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Brilliant time for a double post. Hope you're doing well.

Noxolotl, Lord-Marcus and Imrahil like this.
  5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

@Rikard Hope you are doing well.

Your work continues to inspire me to keep working on my personal sculpting project, the nurgle slaves to darkness I've been working on.

Noxolotl, Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

@Rikard ,

May I have your thoughts on using Vaseline/petroleum jelly instead of water as a release agent to keep sculpting tools from sticking to greenstuff?

My first thought is it would work but be hard to remove any traces from the model before priming.

7. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

This is a tricky one, I think I've done more of a disservice in the past to people because I've always given my opinion and the things I've found worked for me, that doesn't however make me right.

I've heard of people using both, but never used either myself. Water I like to caution people on because too much and the green stuff comes apart and refuses to stick to anything.

8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Then what do you use? I promise to take it as your opinion and not scripture

Noxolotl likes this.
  9. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I don't use any water or gels, I use wooden tools on occasion (organic shapes like Lizards and monsters) I get better results with wooden tools because the green stuff sticks to it far more easily than it does metallic ones. Silicon tipped clay shapers are seriously good investment wise, all human faces I sculpt using these, you get far better curvature without any kind of warping or rippling. Sharp tools like scalpels are needed for mouths or any kind of sharp/crisp detailing.

Noxolotl likes this.