1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Let's talk about nerfs and buffs from 3.0

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by The Tipsy Dragon, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

This may have already been addressed upthread but if so, I over-read it so apologies for the repetition.

The errata says:

Page 95 – Engine of the Gods, Description
    Change the Description to:
    ‘SKINK PRIEST: An Engine of the Gods is commanded by a Skink Priest.​

But it does not say to add the PRIEST keyword to the warscroll and does not add a prayer. So does that mean it can't use the generic prayers, and if that is the case, what's the point of this change?

PabloTho and Carnikang like this.
  2. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

It's actually more because of the saurus guard for kroak

3. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

No it is a priest now. It can do priest spells

Christopher likes this.
  4. Christopher
    Terradon

That makes perfect sense to me. I'm just worried about running into someone who will cite the first sentence of 20.0:

A unit with the PRIEST keyword on its warscroll is a PRIEST.
    I'm envisioning a situation, I mean, where such an opponent might make the argument that that sentence means that units without the PRIEST keyword are not PRIESTS.

I suppose that would be a classic rules-as-written/rules-as-intended situation. I've put in a question about it to the provided email address, but maybe there's something in the Core Rules that clears this up?

5. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

With Guard (100) it becomes 800. Trog is 270 and Kroak is 430. That's a huge chunk for a limp noodle slapper of a monster and a really good frog that has a very slim chance to kill himself whenever he casts a spell. (Like .002 percent or something)

Dread Saurian likes this.
  6. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Tell those troglodons that FAQ errata>rules

7. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Are you telling me what a huge investment is? Because while I get that 800 is a lot(and for kroaks warscroll thi do not believe it is worthwhile) I literally use up 1020 points for 2 behemoths in my army and I am beyond happy with my results every time I play

8. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

Just want to clarify this, the EotG is NOT a priest and does not get prayers etc. The reason for the clarification is that it distinguishes it from the mount. @Putzfrau clarified this in the new rumor thread as well, it was in one of our earlier faqs too. Unfortunately the EotG is the same as it always was, however since it's points didn't really change it might see more use in the coming months

9. Christopher
    Terradon

The points thing is an excellent point. Why would the points bump be so low if they're adding a significant amount of power to the unit?

10. NecridHydra
    Temple Guard

NecridHydra Well-Known Member

With that way of thinking of yours, a Starpriest, is still a priest because it's on his name.

The counterargument of your opponent is perfectly valid. I could argue that Varanguards are Demons because the lore states X but as long as the keyword doesn't appear on the warscroll, that unit is not that. Otherwise we could use wound bonuses on Skinks or Kroxigors.

Christopher likes this.
  11. Christopher
    Terradon

Yeah, I'm convinced that the only unit we have able to chant prayers is the Skink Priest. I didn't say anything about Starpriests, I don't think?

12. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

even more clarification keywords are keywords.
    your statement would also apply to the dread saurian's totem keyword so what? it cant buff itself? also it is specifically treated as 1 unit not 2 separate units. if they did treat em as 2 separate units there would be a hp numeral for both the skink and the stegadon eotg.(oh i miss that lovely thing about old whfb)

yeah no thanks im still gonna enjoy the game
    so until they(GW) specifically address it (which they havent still in the last 2 faqs) i will treat it as a priest. and continue to until the gw guy at the store i play at tells me otherwise. And besides its not like you would take anything other than heal with eotg to keep on the hp gains

I GOT TROGLODON NEXT TO MY PIC YEET!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It has to do with general traits and artifacts and such. Originally the stegadon was the hero, and not a mount.

14. exwhyzero
    Saurus

exwhyzero Member

After looking at the old FaQ as well, that also said '
    SKINK PRIEST: An Engine of the Gods is commanded
    by a Skink Priest'

So unless the EotG gains the skinkpreists stats/ abilities then I would say it does not count as a priest for abilities.

Tyranitar likes this.
  15. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Well, they didn't add power to it as it is not a priest for the purposes of chanting prayers, banishing invocations, etc

Canas likes this.
  16. Christopher
    Terradon

That's...the entire point of this discussion.

17. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Right, I understand now. I read your initial statement as questioning why the points adjustment was low since they added power, not as an affirmation that they didn't adjust the points much since they didn't add power. We're on the same page now :D

Christopher likes this.
  18. Christopher
    Terradon

Somebody on another site pointed out that the Bonesplitterz Wardokk already had the Priest and Wizard keywords and only went up 5 points (to 85!).

Canas likes this.
  19. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

How does that unit work out in crunch? My nephew wants to make an army of orruks and I'm trying to give him some ideas on it

20. Christopher
    Terradon

I don’t know about crunch but I would be astonished if they don’t raise the points cost significantly or eliminate one or the other of the keywords in the next errata drop.