1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lizardmen's Inspiration/Origin

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by ASSASSIN_NR_1, Apr 7, 2023.

1. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering what inspiration/origin our different units have, not in terms of say mayan/inkan inspiration but rather the species. We know the Lizardmen were created by the Old Ones and that the different species we have, are probably all bio-engineered from lifeforms that were already on the warhammer world when the Old Ones arrived.
    I'll list what I think and I bet most will agree on the majority, but I am wondering what the origin of some of them are, and I'd like to know what you guys think - so here goes:

Skink - Well obviously the Origin here are Skinks, don't think there is a specific species of Skink, but a Skink it is.

Saurus - Here I'm not sure... maybe a lizard of some kind, given the name it could be a dinosaur or if we think of it as a clade (if I get the word right) it is a common ancestor to reptiles and dinosaurs, though if this is the case, then I'm not sure we can find exactly what species the inspiration is taken from.
    With this in mind, it just occured to me, that sacred spawnings might not just be only different markings, but for all we know, it could be that the Saurus get DNA or something from a different species or are more evolved in a specific area or some such.

Kroxigor - Either a Crocodile or Alligator or possibly both, who knows if the Old Ones mixed species.

Slann - Likely some kind of Toad, or it could be a frog, but toad seems more appropriate.

And while I'm at it, why not take a look at our bigger dinos, that probably have not been tampered with by the Old Ones, but who really knows.

Carnosaur - I think the inspiration is a T-rex, but the visual representation seems to me more like an Allosaurus or similar.

Stegadon - Definately a Triceratops but there is some Stegosaurus in there as well.

Bastiladon - Ankylosaurus without a doubt, and I don't think there is anything else.

Troglodon - A mix between a Spinosaurus and some other reptile or amphibian... any ideas?

Cold One - A raptor, plain and simple, though which one might then be the question.

Terradon - A Pterodactyl, not much else I think.

Ripperdactyl - Also a Pterodactyl but with a pinch of Piranha - so non-reptiles are definitely a go in terms of inspiration.

Salamander - A cross between a salamander and a Dimetrodon.

Razardon - I'm not sure about this one, perhaps a comodo dragon and a porcupine or perhaps an armored dinosaur say like a Yuxisaurus

Imrahil likes this.