1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Magic Season will coalesced participate or hibernate?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Doons, Jun 12, 2023.

1. Doons
    Saurus

Doons Member

Magic Season will coalesced participate or hibernate?

Kilvakar likes this.
  2. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Lambs and Lions Well-Known Member

I don't know why people think coalesced can't cast spells. All the competitive coalesced lists last season has a Slann in it. The new frost spell looks very tasty on Saurus Warriors. You could get them to rend -4 or -5 with the right combo of spells.

Imrahil and Kilvakar like this.
  3. Doons
    Saurus

Doons Member

Very happy to hear you are pro coalesced. I am a coalesced player and probably always will be. I am just curious as to how people who maybe don't have the same deep love of coalesced I do (dino combat heavy since 94") will be influenced by the new season as the meta already seemed to be leaning in favour of starborne before this announcement. Our army gets to choose between supreme magical with a little crunch(presummons starting army), and above average magic with lots of crunchy, in a magic heavy realm. Yes Hoarfrost is dynamite on saurus warriors, basti looks like a good choice also. Yes I am planning a magic anti-magic coalesced list hoping we get some good counter magic/ magic defence enhancements in the release to make it possible.

4. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Coalesced fan here :) I think the new wizard buffing season will be just fine for that side of our army. Trog bomb is a strong combo, but it will get hard-countered and crushed by certain lists. A Coalesced list with a Slann or Kroak and a Starpriest or two will still be able to benefit from the new rules while still having the bodies on the field and defense to help weather early assaults, something that Trog bomb doesn't do well.

Imrahil likes this.
  5. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

I agree. Coalesced benefits from magic buffing, and the new Hoarfrost spell will be really good in Coalesced to remove the weaknesses of some of our melee units. Skink wizards will benefit too.

Meanwhile, the all-in Trog Bomb lists will gradually get weaker over the season as people learn to counter it. They will start to fill the space around their key units so the Oracle can't easily get in range of juicy targets, and then be ready with a counter to try to kill Oracles and Slann, and take out our cosmic nodes. Starborne will remain very good, but I think we'll start to see less Trog Bombs and more balanced lists that can Trog Bomb a bit, but can also use enhanced movement with skinks and Raptadons to control the battlefield.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I have a soft spot for coalesced

Kilvakar likes this.
  7. Doons
    Saurus

Doons Member

so if behemoths are capped at 3 per 2000pt , is this tempting enough to rethink thunder lizards stegadons role? it could be a monstrous advantage? lol pun intended

Kilvakar likes this.
  8. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

Stegadons are good units. They're just overpriced a bit. The fact that they count as battleline and not behemoths in Thunder Lizards means Thunder Lizards has some interesting options. If Stegadons come down in price, the subfaction could be pretty good.

That said, I don't think it will ever take the form it used to. I could easily see it have a Slann and a Troglodon (for it's -1 to hit aura, unlimited range vassal casting and skink spells), and some Saurus Warriors to keep it balanced. But bringing 4 to 6 monsters is a real possibility.

Diversifying the kinds of monsters will maximize the number of Monstrous Rampages you can do. Bring one of each and you can potentially use all four standard monstrous rampages and all four Coalesced monstrous rampages in the same charge phase.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    Doons and Kilvakar like this.
  9. Doons
    Saurus

Doons Member

max monster you can squeeze 7 monsters, one of each type plus 4 steggs battle line. You are right though the better choice is to run 2 steg battleline and allocate the 600 points to ground troops/slann. there's several points variants given the bastiladon and carnasaur options

10. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Behemoths have always been capped at 3, so no big change there. Stegadons aren't bad, just way overcosted for what they do.10 Saurus Warriors have more wounds, better saves most of the time, and better damage most of the time, for 100 fewer points.