1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My return to painting and converting

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Krox_v.2, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

Been a bit since I've done any painting. Had to get a new computer plus I had some serious burnout to deal with. But I recently finished 3 Chaos ogres of Nurgle. I used a mixture of GW, P3, Army Painter and Vallejo. Skin was base coat Catachan skin/Rakarth fles, 1st layer Rakarth flesh, 2nd layer Rakarth/Ionrach mix, final just Ionrach. Army Painter Dragon Red was mixed with Rakarth to paint the skin where the spikes poke through to make it look inflamed. Rusty weapons/metal were painted with Catachan skin base, Catachan/Army Painter Dry Rust mix stippled over, then Dry Rust then GW Leadbelcher drybushed and edge highlighted. I painted some bits of metal here and there as oxidized bronze which was Retributer armor with watered down Vallejo Verdigris over it. Pants were layered from a P3 Ordic Olive/Abaddon Black mix on up to Ordic as final layer. Boots were Catachan skin with gradually increasing amounts of Army Painter Castle Grey added. I painted Vallejo Vomit around the mouth and over the chest for more Nurgle-y "goodness". I'll try and get better pictures in the next couple days.

Attached Files:

2. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Painted up 3 of the chaos ogres of Khorne. Skin: base coat of 50/50 Rakarth/Catachan flesh mix, next Rakarth on it's own, Rakarth/Army painter elf flesh, then rakarth/AP Elf/AP corpse pale and then corpse pale for final highlights. Red pants were AP Crusted sore base, AP Crusted Sore/Dragon Red mix and then Dragon Red. Brass of AP Rough Iron base, wash of AP Dark tone, then AP Green tone, then drybush/highlight of AP Weapon Bronze. Iron was GW Leadbelcher, wash of AP Dark Tone then AP Gun Metal. GW Blood For The Blood God technical for the blood effects. I still need to finish the bases.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Noxolotl, Warden, Imrahil and 2 others like this.
  3. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

I went back and added verdigris effects to the brass/bronze on the Khorne ogres to add some contrast. I also finished them all, except for the bases. This one is the most extensively converted one and my favorite out of the unit. I cut and scraped down the neck and back of one of the 6th edition chaos mutation heads, cut and scraped part of the ogre's chest, glued it on with plastic glue and then sculpted green stuff around it to look more warped and mutated.

Attached Files:

4. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

I recently painted a mini as a gift for my dentist.

Attached Files:

5. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Painted a second one as part of that gift. Same time, I just took a bit longer to upload the pics for this one. She was very excited and impressed by the paint job on the minis.

Attached Files:

6. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

I bought this thinking to use it as a Bruiser in my Ogre Kingdoms army, but I have since come up with a different vision for said army. As such I'm probably going to gift this guy to a friend. I do see where it needs a touch up or 2. I also used it to experiment with coming up with a Burgundy color for the chaos dwarf.

Attached Files:

Warden, Noxolotl, Imrahil and 3 others like this.
  7. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

3rd edition Chaos dwarf. If I play TOW, I think I'll be starting either Kislev, Cathay(if they're actually a faction) and/or Chaos Dwarfs. This was a test mini for a color scheme.

Attached Files:

Warden, Noxolotl, Imrahil and 3 others like this.
  8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice work on the corroded metal effect on his shoulder.

Nice looking chaos dwarf! I like the red too.

9. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Skaven warlord I painted up for my buddy's Skaven. The plastic this thing is made of is ridiculously fragile. Had to reattach the helmet crest/blade and the back banner 1 or 2 times each. I haphazardly applied a green ink wash on the armor and sword to give the impression that warpstone was used in the alloy or in the oils used on the armor and blade.

Attached Files:

10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Good looking Skaven, I like his flag!

11. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

My new converted Oldblood. I still need to add static grass but beyond that he's done. I had assembled the model before thinking of an idea to convert it to represent the Fencing Blades. so I had to cut off the left arm around the elbow, pin a spear head trimmed down to resemble a dagger and a pommel from a Cold One Rider weapon to the left hand after some shaving and cutting. Beyond that, it's just a standard Oldblood on foot from the Carnosaur kit with shoulder plates from the Saurus Warrior set added.

Attached Files:

12. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

I took some pictures of a Sabertusk proxy for my Ogre Kingdoms army plus some pictures of chaos monoliths I made

Attached Files: