1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

rupture, its considerably more reliable and doesnt involve throwing points away. You really don't have a bunch left after that, as you said. so its basically just min battleline.

Kroak
    slann
    astro
    starseer x2 (to fill necessary battalions)
    skinksx2
    guard
    incarnate
    maelstrom
    gravetide

warlord + acolyte battalion.

Think ultimately it just comes down to the summoning in starborne being pretty broken. It lets you get away with these ultra elite armies while still have decent board control just because of the summoning. It desperately needs a fix, the starborne side of the book is really quite problematic from a balance/playstyle perspective.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    Just A Skink likes this.
  2. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I know it's "pilot error," but I've lost practically EVERY time I've played Starborne. My friend is a very good player, that's part of it. I just don't seem to have the bodies most of the time, and the summons are just a speed bump to either his Soulblight or Skaven armies. My magic phases tend to be "good, not great" as he manages to dispel a moderate amount.

I guess I'm saying for those of us AoS idiots out there, even a "broken" list isn't a guaranteed success.

3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

that was true for WHFB, 40k, Magic and so on... there's always a substantial difference between playing with a strong list and playing with a strong list that you have assembled

4. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Lambs and Lions Well-Known Member

There is also just playing a list that complements your play style. Starborne is not for everyone, especially if you like to play tanky coalesced lists. Going from a list of suarus with 3+ save and minus -damage to a list of skinks with a 5+ save an no bravery is a completely different play style and might just not suit you.

5. Doons
    Saurus

Doons Member

My dabbling into starborne has always been a mixed bag of glorious godlike victories and utterly humiliating defeats. I eventually settled into coalesced because of my awesome rolling capabilities and it seems to have a more stable damage output for me . When your opponent starts cheering for you, you really know how awesome your rolls are!! "You got this dude no way your rolling ones again" me "Snake eyes miscast awesome" Roflmao As much as i love the flash bangs of magic i have no magical consistency and limited redundancies available.

6. Nathan Weeres
    Saurus

Nathan Weeres Active Member

My experience with starborne has pretty much been I win to the point where it isn't fun for my opponent or I get completely destroyed the best game I had was when I left kroak behind and brought aggrodons and 20x warriors it was one of the closest games I've ever had.

Just A Skink likes this.
  7. SauriDragon
    Jungle Swarm

SauriDragon New Member

so what im gathering is that running starborne is superior.

well shit, there goes my colorscheme plans.

8. Togetic
    Temple Guard

Togetic Well-Known Member

I think i said the same thing back in July, but I don't think Coalesced is weak as much as Starborne just has a lot more synergy between your units and is compounded by the current season being magic focused. You can definitely win with koatl's claw blocks of saurus (and honestly probably also win with monster mash thunder lizards, if you're playing them as koatl's claw with a strategic amount of extra monsters to make use of the extra rampages) but there's just so much flexibility in starborne and everything slots together so well that it's easier to go in with a decent understanding of your purpose in the game (just keep casting spells until there's nothing left to cast them on) and win with that magical board control. Skinks are just very good units, they work together well, and starborne works with them on top of that to make stuff keep rolling.

Then if you hit a roadblock skinks or spells can't climb over, you're kind of screwed and you just lose

SauriDragon likes this.
  9. Nathan Weeres
    Saurus

Nathan Weeres Active Member

I primarily play coalesced and I definitely prefer it I don't think that starborne is wildly more powerful I read a woehammer from a week or 2 before the new season that did a subfaction winrate break down and fangs of sotek had 53% and koatls had 45% but there was a lot more representation for fangs of sotek because of meta chasers. I've thought of running kroak in coalesced for the casting power.with the new season but I think him and some defense for him is pretty expensive for the other stuff I like to bring.

10. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

why?

11. SauriDragon
    Jungle Swarm

SauriDragon New Member

dont you have to paint with the starborne scheme to field it?

i actually have no idea, im new to all this

12. Togetic
    Temple Guard

Togetic Well-Known Member

I don’t think starborne has a set scheme other than the cool studio example with the black and blue, but AoS doesn’t restrict your subfaction choices based on paint scheme at all

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yep, that's 40k, and only for official gw tournaments

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Wasn't that only if you use the colours of an official faction so as not to confuse an opponent?
    I thought that as long as you avoid the whole "yes I know they look like Ultramarines, but really they're salamanders" you could use whatever subfaction you wanted by just claiming it's your own custom chapter/forge world/whatever.

15. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

That held true in 9th ed, but 10th ed is a different beast altogether.
    GW functionally gutted the very idea of subfactions in 10th to merely be a special character/unit restriction aide. Beyond that, appearances don't matter beyond WYSIWYG and play-style is instead determined by what detachment you choose for your army. Insofar as I can tell, this is basically GW saying, "Go ahead and play your Salamanders as if they were Raven Guard."

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yep, exactly.
    Only limited to gw tournaments AND official chapters / whatever, with a distinctive and well known color scheme

Canas likes this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Ah, could be, the switch to 10th is fairly recent I guess. Just remember a white dwarf article where they expressed frustration at people playing with "confusing" paint schemes (so you know, the well known ones)

18. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Hey if GW wants me to play my ultramarines as actual ultramarines make them better. :D

19. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

I'd just say reject 10th Ed and embrace Horus Heresy. LOL

20. Killer Angel
    Slann

I will pick the best of both worlds, playing 40k most of the time and let my firstborn SM fight in HH. ;)