1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest October-November Short Story Contest, Reading and Voting Thread (Votes close December 7th)

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Nov 17, 2022.

?

Which story or stories did you like best (You may choose up to TWO)

Poll closed Dec 7, 2022.
  1. Story One: "Hear My Words and Kneel"

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Story Two: "The World of Skink Chief McBragg: The Siege of Hexoatl"

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Story Three: "Everyone is Here!"

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Story Four: "Captured in Stone"

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Story Five: "The Biggest Baddest Lizard"

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  6. Story Six: "A Debate"

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. Story Seven: "The Deliverer of Itza"

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Don't waste your time as you'll find nothing. I need to take some pics and post them.

Imrahil, Bowser and Y'ttar Scaletail like this.
  2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Imrahil and Killer Angel like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Never been a huge fan of Nekaph. If you'd have gone with someoneKhalida, then a NIGHTBRINGER vote might have been earned (assuming that another entry did not feature/mention Chaos Dwarfs).

;)

Imrahil likes this.
  4. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

I originally thought about writing a humorous twist ending involving chai tea and cathayan settlers. Koma was supposed to rant about these settlers at the beginning, and at the end, Koma discovers Nakai's true reasons for his arrival was ironically for some Chai Tea. But I scrapped this idea because the novelty of it wore off when I began writing, and I decided on something else for the ending.

I never thought much about the rat's and minotaur's reasoning for coming, so idk. I just wanted to write funny cute shit for Nakai, even if it didn't make any sense!

Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

You should join the contest, win it and then impose "Chaos Dwarfs" as contest's theme. :p

As promised, here my self-made Nekaph model.

Torso and armor: Necron immortal
    Head, arms, legs, weapons: Necropolis knight rider / Tomb Guard
    Banner: Royal Banner from a War Sphynx

i wanted to give it a look of "covered in gold, as if it was a precious possession of the King", but today i'm not satisfied by the overall result. If the Old World will be a reality, i could revisit the painting and modify a couple of details.

20221229_075814.jpg 20221229_075916.jpg 20221229_080023.jpg

6. Scalenex
    Slann

@NIGHTBRINGER

Bowser and Imrahil like this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That seems like awfully large amount of work. It's more fun leveraging my vote to get others to do it for me. :cool:

Bowser likes this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

I've never pretended it would have been easy. :D
    But the satisfaction... the pleasure in imposing your choice... unlimited power!

Imrahil, NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Sometimes you got to do things the hard way and other times the fun way. In this case, a Loki-esque (or maybe my brother star god... the DECEIVER) approach seems most appealing.

Besides, even if my potential story were good enough (which I'm not saying it would be), I'd still be behind the proverbial eight ball as they say...

• @Scalenex has many times admitted that he loves to disagree with (or oppose) me. As he is not blind to the entrant identities, I would stand little chance of ever garnering his vote. I'd have to enter under a newly created secondary account, but even still, he is a clever man and might pick up on my writing style regardless.
    • @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl and I have the exact opposite tastes/beliefs/viewpoints on virtually everything. Even without knowing which entry was mine, he would be diametrically opposed to anything I would submit.

With the limited pool of voters that typically take part, being down 2-0 is essentially insurmountable. Underestimate static combat resolution at your peril. And that is assuming that my entry is strong enough to begin with (which I'm not saying it would be).

One must never allow pride to compel oneself to fight a battle which cannot be won. The wiser path is to concede that Obi-Wan has the high ground.

Imrahil likes this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

@Killer Angel , I will take your silence as confirmation of my musings. :cool:

11. Scalenex
    Slann

I do not like the accusation that I am controlled by biases with something I view as important as this.

If anything, I tend to be favorably biased towards new entrants, and I have no idea what your writing style is unless you write entirely in memes.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You're human aren't you? Every single human being is influenced by bias, whether consciously or subconsciously. There is no escape from it. You, me and everyone else, we're all guided by its persuasive caress. Even those of us masquerading as undead lizard things or narcissistic star gods are still vulnerable to it. :D

That would be against the rules, would it not? No pictures allowed.. right? :p

Take it as a compliment. I've seen others mention that they can identify anonymous authors by way of their writing style. You're the undisputed king of fluff and you have read countless posts of mine over the years; so I just put two and two together. Although they weren't short stories, I'm fairly certain that some of my writing tendencies and preferences would carry over. As such, I'm assuming that you might be able to pick off some of those markers and recognize me in disguise. Maybe I'm wrong though.

P.S. By now you should probably assume that most things I post on here (except my rants against wokeness) are a bit tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't read too much into it. Just having a bit of fun! :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

No, it's just that i know you are not going to join the competition and me poking you was just a little fun for both of us.
    If i continue it would be fun no more. :p

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I like my theory better! :joyful:

Imrahil likes this.