1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Painting of Renown! (Just kidding... but this is my blog)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Lizards of Renown, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

As @NIGHTBRINGER says, the only difference should be that it is thinner so may need 1 or 2 more coats. It may actually be helpful, the fluorescent paints tend to have a thicker more gel like consistency to begin with so being thinner may not be a bad thing.

Bowser, Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

That makes me real happy its working out for you

And dude, stop that, it looks amazing! I even zoomed in super close and they look crisp! None of this compliment sandwich nonsense (i.E. "it doesnt stand up to close inspection" with nice things on eithe side), no playing yourself short. Its looking great and excited to see the rest. Keep it up! I think the colors youve chosen are going to look stellar

Bowser, Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Wow! Tough love! :D Just kidding, thanks for the encouragement!

4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Lol, Give it to him @Sudsinabucket :D
    But seriously @Lizards of Renown , you paint good, this is going to be the star of your TK army ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Okay, thanks @Imrahil!

And thanks everyone who has been encouraging me. Really helps!

- Q -, Bowser and Sudsinabucket like this.
  6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

So last night I did the first coat of bone on the main body and two coats of fluorescent blue on the eyes/flames. The eyes will be tidied up when I paint the face with bone.

The fluorescent blue still shows a lot of the white undercoat. How many layers do I need to do?

IMG_20210604_015623.jpg

IMG_20210604_015724.jpg

IMG_20210604_015705.jpg

IMG_20210604_015652.jpg

7. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Don't worry, ill friendly beat the positivity into him!

8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

It's looking good, really enjoying the blue tbh. Bone is looking great also, a very polished bone look.

How many layers of blue so far? Might be the pic but i dont see much white? Depending on the blue, thickness of paint, etc... i can do like 3-5 layers, but i do tend to have my paints a little more watery

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Thanks!

So I did one watered down layer of bone and will do one more.

I think I will do one more layer of blue (making total of three) as when I looked again the next morning it looked almost great.

Couple of questions:

1) I only did one layer of blue on the eyes, so will do two more. Then I think paint around them with bone (2 watered down layers) to handle the spills of blue. Any particular advice for handling the eyes? They are the only bit sloppy right now, but I was always going to do them first and then handle spills by painting over with bone.

2) Originally, my concept was to do white sections of the body over the bone. This would end up with gold sections, white sections, basic color throughout bone and then the fluorescent blue for eyes and the flames. When I think about it, I believe it will be too monotone with the gold/white/bone. I was thinking of having red sections of the "armour." What do you think? Will it clash with the fluorescent blue?

Bowser, Explodingzeb and Imrahil like this.
  10. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

With the eyes you've got the right idea, tidying up around them with the bone colour is the easiest way I think. With regards to the blue, not having full coverage can be helpful as if you want a glow effect the middle of the glowing area should be brighter than the outer areas. So for glowing blue eyes the very middle of the eye could be pure white still, with gradually more blue radiating outwards.

For the armour, a coral red could look nice without clashing too much with the blue.

Keep up the good work :)

11. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

Red could work well, you just want to use a desaturated red on some parts so it doesn't clash with the blue. As blue and red are both primary colors they will fight for attention so to speak if they're both fully saturated and in present in similar amounts on the model.

Alternatively, you could use something like reikland fleshade or a similar red tone wash or contrast paint in the recesses of the gold to add some color variance. I've recently experimented adding Volupus Pink contrast to the shaded areas of gold on my hero models and I love how it looks.

12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Thanks guys :)

So, either a pinkish-red (meaning unsaturated so more whitish) or an orange-ish-red?

I'll take a look at what I have... don't really want to buy any more paint at this stage.

I've got a bright red, but I agree that this would be too much in contrast with the fluorescent blue.

Bowser likes this.
  13. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Yeah either mix the red you have with black or white to desaturate it and make it darker or lighter depending on what you like. Or you could mix in small amounts of green to get a reddish brown which could look good. You might have to experiment a bit :artist:

Bowser and Lizards of Renown like this.
  14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Did second coat of bone, third coat of fluorescent blue onflames and second and third coats of same on the eyes.

I'm going to make several parts of his armour reddish-brown, then highlight wash and be done with it.

Oh, and basing. Need to get some sand from somewhere.

IMG_20210607_013343.jpg

IMG_20210607_013401.jpg

What shade do i use for bone?

And @Explodingzeb how do you do yourweathering?

Any words of wisdom @Sudsinabucket?

15. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

This is looking really brilliant I think so far, the eyes look dope!

For bone I usually go with Seraphim Sepia or Skeleton Horde, if you want to keep the more polished look, maybe Apothecary White (though it leans more grey-white, so youd need to highlight with white scar or another bright white)

What reddish brown and wash are you going to use for the armor?

Bowser, Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  16. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Looks good so far. Suds is right about the bone wash, a sepia would look great. You could maybe use a dark brown like Agrax Earthshade if you wanted a grungier look to it. I'm also interested to hear which reds you're going to use.

With regards to weathering. For chipping effects I usually use a stiff brush or a ripped up piece of sponge to dab a dark colour (brown or black usually) onto the areas that need scuffs. I make sure to dab most of the paint off of the brush/sponge onto some paper towel before dabbing the model. Because I'm usually painted these on Droids I then carefully paint silver inside the bigger areas of black to show the exposed metal beneath.

For scratches is use a normal small brush to paint them on with the same colours, then paint a small highlight line on the underside of the black line using whatever colour you've highlighted the armour with to show the light catching the scratch.

For stains and grime I've been using Typhus Corrosion for dark gritty textures, plus a few contrast colours and shades to paint streaks (Skeleton Horde, Wyldwood, Black Templar, Agrax Earthshade etc.).

For basing, there are some good sand basing pastes out there on the market.

17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Thanks guys!

For the wash for the bone areas, I'll go with Agrax earthshade: 1) I have it and 2y the statue is supposed to be super-old so I think will be fine.

On the washes, the videos I've seen say put them all over the color and then it will run into the cracks. My experience so far is that it doesn't fully and changes the colours completely. Should I just put this on cracks and not all over?

@Sudsinabucket I was planning to do red-brown areas of the armour to give a bit of variety as my original plan of white areas I think will look too monotone.

So I'll experiment tonight with making a mix of red and black and see how it looks.

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Cheers! I'll do some experimenting tonight.

Bowser likes this.
  19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

@Explodingzeb your explanation on the weathering sounds a bit like dry brushing, but instead of brushing you just kind of dab?

Like the brush/sponge is basically almost dry?

Bowser likes this.
  20. Tyranitar
    Terradon

I think it would look better if you just wash the recesses, but it will take more time