1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Choose your favourite Dwarf army. There can be only one!

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Dec 11, 2019.

?

Which is your favourite Dwarf army/faction?

1. Chaos Dwarfs / Legion of Azgorh

2. WFB Dwarfs / Dispossessed

3. Kharadron Overlords

4. Fyreslayers

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Screenshot_20220223-072609_Instagram.jpg

Grrr, Imrahil

4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Bowser, Imrahil and Just A Skink like this.
  5. Imrahil
    Slann

Screenshot_20220301-120354_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20220301-120439_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20220301-120455_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20220301-120553_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20220301-120631_Instagram.jpg

Models by Greebo games, painted by lefthand_painting

Grrr, Imrahil

6. Imrahil
    Slann

Screenshot_20220301-115708_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20220301-115649_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20220301-115627_Instagram.jpg

Grrr, Imrahil

7. Imrahil
    Slann

Screenshot_20220301-091937_Instagram.jpg

Lord of the Rings Dwarfs:)

Grrr, Imrahil

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Alright, now that I am caught up on over 2 years of Dwarf discussion, I will weigh in. I have a very special relationship with the dwarves, as the mortal enemies to my Lizards. I haven't voted, so no real idea what the numbers look like, and I won't vote but will break it down for you. Of course, we must queue the proper song for this thread. https://open.spotify.com/track/14Qcrx6Dfjvcj0H8oV8oUW?si=WlGKTH2ASzuzQcrZIYhANQ&utm_source=copy-link

So let's start at the beginning. In the Noughties, I paid a bunch of money for some space marines, including a box set with Dark Eldar. The Dark Eldar had cool hair pieces. I played exactly one game of 40k, as the city I was in I could not find anyone who was willing to play against a partially painted army, and was strict WYSIWYG. Those got boxed up. Fast Forward a decade or so and my friend and I play the D&D board game "Castle Ravenloft." My friend chose the dwarf character, and this sparked something deep inside his short and bearded self. He brought out his old warhammer fantasy dwarfs. We looked them over, and he decided it was time to go all in and begin playing again. We built a few, and they had solid bits. Pipes, kegs, horns for the helmets. I said I had no extra money for hobbies right now, I had gotten Castle Ravenloft for half price about a year before that. He said don't you worry, what army would you pick, and I of course said Orks and Goblins. Well about a week later, he had been through facebook groups, Kijiji, and Craigslist to find cheap armies, and called me up. I came over and there before me was a Lizardman army, some painted, some not, some on sprue, and some still in box. It cost him $200. 2 bastiladon, 3 stegadon, 2 carnosaur, 1 old metal, 1 new in box. I saw the bastiladon, remembered the dwarf helmet horns and the dark eldar hair. I could make this work.

So we learned the 8th edition rules together, we figured out the strategies, and had some pretty even matches. Then we went to the local game shop, and found the league. They laughed when he brought out dwarves, and quite incorrectly told us that they were good in 7th, but now they're crap. We shrugged and found some people to play against, and when he pulled out his gyrocopters, they laughed and informed us, quite incorrectly that gyrocopters weren't viable. I laughed at that, having been harassed by those bastards for months, and having a specific strategy just for gyrocopters. They doubled down and sold him more gyrocopters for $5 a piece. Couldn't say no. An old metal one, a brand new one pre-painted. Hell yeah. They had no defense against his not so useless gyros, and he soundly beat these experts who had been playing for many editions. I lost my game, but getting ogres out of a building is much harder than one would assume.

The next time we went back, 2 more people were using dwarf armies, and they proudly told us the benefits of gyrocopters. Sigh.

Classic/Disposessed- Amazing lore (old world.) Book of grudges, king being carried into battle, subtle steampunk, yearly white dwarf with awesome themes, Vampire Hunter, Pirate, Movie Director, etc. Amazing heroes, best of all being Bugman, just for how funny he actually is.

Fyreslayers- If I met a jerkass genie, this is what I would get. Naked Red Heads riding around on huge fire breathing lizards weilding battle axes. That's what I get for not specifying that I prefer women. Ah well. This is one of those times that GW did not fail upwards. The models are cool, dwarves with monster, so cool. Then, at least when they first came out, overpriced everything that did nothing better than other armies. Ouch. Well, now I don't know if they are better, but put them with Dispossessed and KO, and you have the expanded version of the greatness of the old world dwarves.

Kharadron Overlords- More steampunk, sweet ships, Bugmansson still bringing that XXXXXXX dwarven ale to the game. If I was still playing warhammer, I would absolutely have a bunch of these guys.

Chaos Dwarves- I was aware they existed when we played 8th Edition, but I never saw them on the field, and outside of one league that was basically Mordheim, I don't think I ever thought about them, other than centaurs sound awesome. Wouldn't even think of them until we started playing blood bowl. I started with lizards, and my friend started with dwarves. It was a boring and slow game. So I changed to Necromantics, and our other friends outright banned dwarves, because they aren't fun to play against I guess. So he brought out the chaos dwarves. They are a ton of fun to play with, and against. I had created a tournament template, no highlander rules, and we both got to use Skrull Halfheight, undead plus Dwarf. The best game I had ever had.

TLDR, 4 way tie, they along with Skaven are my mortal enemies, and are all amazing.

Here is my Scar-vet laughing at how many times his name appears in the book of grudges.

20151013_132509.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  10. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

First off, love that Scar-Vet on cold one with the book. Inspired. :D

This is the kind of thing we love to see on this board. A proper review of all of the options and why they're all awesome. I had dwarf units in my Dogs of War army back in 5th edition. Never ran an entire army of them. (Owned one that I bought secondhand in a bulk lot of stuff in 2004 or so, but never ran it as a complete army). I liked the look of the army, but didn't like painting them. Still, dwarf armies have a really good, solid core of nostalgia for many players.
    and I'm still jealous of the pile of big-hat Chaos Dwarves the guy who got me into this hobby still has. :D

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

One of the many reasons why it is nice to have @Bowser back. We need someone to counterbalance... well...
    333.jpg

The light and dark sides of the force. The Jedi and the Sith.

Lizards of Renown, Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Finally someone who shares my overall viewpoint (that all the Dwarf factions are great in their own way)!

[​IMG]
    That's what you get for underestimating the Sons of Grungni! :oldman:

I cannot honestly understand how those chaps could have developed that assumption - Dwarfs got an all-round glow-up in 8th Edition, and of all the 8th Ed books I have the Dwarf one is the one I am definitely happiest with. A few more units (airships and steam-walkers anyone?) would have made it all the more fantastic, but we did need some more named characters as we were previously running a 6th Edition book that had only three.

Don't mind the fact that I've been counterbalancing your posts throughout the time that our plumber-fighting, princess-kidnapping friend was sadly absent, and beyond :cool:

But yes, it's great to have him back with us at last!
    [​IMG]

Tk'ya'pyk, Bowser and Imrahil like this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You and I, we're just a couple of Sith duking it out! ;)

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Perhaps you and I are not so very different after all. Both of us have our likes and dislikes, with our fervent desires to destroy that which we despise and uphold that which we cherish, with a small Venn-diagram-style niche featuring the few things we both respect (Warhammer Fantasy as a whole) and the few things we both hate (the Left-Wing and all its crimes, GW shitting on our favourite factions).

However, I do not believe in the Sith Code, as it embodies the passion-oriented mentality of much of modern society and is what is pulling the world into chaos. That cannot be tolerated.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    NIGHTBRINGER, Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This is true. We disagree 99% of the time, but there is that 1% of the time where we share surprisingly similar views. Interestingly, I'd say we usually agree on the "big stuff" and vehemently disagree on all the smaller nuances. That said, I was surprised when you didn't come to defend Episode III when I called on you :p. Never thought I'd see the day where I was left defending the prequels and you would not come fight by my side.

Also, it should be noted, that while I often find my opinion in opposition to yours, I do appreciate reading your thoughts on things. In a sense, you're my favourite forumite to disagree with. You're seemingly the one forum member who I can consistently disagree with in a discussion/debate without having that "kill or be killed" switch activated in my sith-like debate driven brain. If I were an emperor in the Warhammer world and I was assembling a trusted council from among all of our forum members, you'd easily make my top 5. I'd need someone with an opposing view point... a different way of seeing things.

17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Good speech here!

I'm interested to know who the other members of your council would be and what functions they would perform ;)

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Funny you should mention that, I did at one point have the idea of setting up a thread on that very topic. The only reason I didn't was because those 5 spots fill up pretty quickly and people would be left out. I don't want to break any hearts among those wishing to take part in the glorious NIGHTBRINGER empire! :p;):D

That said, I do have a top 5 in my mind. Even a pair of honourable mentions (so a top 7).

19. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I make a pretty good sycophantic yes-man.

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I was certainly limbering up with a big response to your and @Erta Wanderer's posts, but I got sidetracked at the time and have lost my entire post content. Don't give up on me just yet, pal, I may well surprise you :p

Perhaps we've just got so used to disagreeing with each other that each of us knows it's fruitless to try to change the other or force the other to back down entirely, so we just resort to a (more) relaxed discussion about our various viewpoints as opposed to an eternal fight to the death ;)

A different Council to the Knights of Eight I presume?

Regardless, I would be happy to contribute that opposing viewpoint for the greater good of a combined alliance on this forum.
    [​IMG]

Perhaps sending out PMs to the other favoured Council members is the way to do it? That way, there would be no explicit signs of people being rejected and thus less chance of upset?