1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Revered Guardians

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Conar, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

The TG are the the LAST guys you want to get frenzied. They're supposed to be an anvil.

2. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Only the RG would benefit from frenzy. The whole unit would have to feel the penalties(getting flank/rear charged, being led aroung by the nose, etc.)
    Right?

3. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

The RG gets the 'benefit' of the frenzy (if you want to call it a benefit). The whole unit will have to charge if it has a valid target in front of it. Frenzy can be beneficial, but I can see opponents really taking advantage of this, especially if they know the RG has the pendant. However, you might be able to get away with it, because the RG has to inflict a wound before he gets the frenzy.

Still, bad choice of items.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

And once again, the weakness of a unit champion having a magic item, all an opponent needs to do is target a few attacks, maybe from his own unit champion, onto the revered guardian who is just as easy to kill as the rest of the unit and all the 'benefits' are gone as well as a bunch of points. It is an interesting idea, but I don't think its worth it.

5. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

very interisting thought i can't find anything on that the only thing i have come up with is that he is part of the unit not a character so they could very well become frenzied if he makes a kill you would have to roll for his attacks seperate to see if he gets a kill to make him frenzied which would make the unit frenzied? i would have to say yes they become frenzied and i think i just found a new favorite item for the unit but it is very touchy

6. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

I try not to give him magic items any more, a magic banner is good enough for me(harder to hit, causes fear... lots of choices too!)

7. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

They could very well become frenzied? The armybook specifically states that the bearer becomes frenzied once he has inflicted a wound. How does this equate to making the entire unit frenied? They are not the bearer.

Giving the RG a Carnosaur Pendant would make him subject to frenzy once he inflicted his first wound. Just like a character with the same item, he is the only one that benefits from it. However, because a frenzied unit champion must charge any viable target, he tows the entire unit with him. Unlike a character that can charge out of a unit, the champion must remain with his troops and so you end up getting towed around the board due to a unit champion? An item choice like this doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm not sure why you're stretching the rules so much to say that the entire unit becomes frenzied, but I am willing to bet that very few of your opponents will be willing to see it that way.

8. thesecondman
    Temple Guard

thesecondman New Member

The unit becomes subject to frenzy in every way. OTHER THAN GETTING ONE ATTACK, which only the dude does. In other words, the item is really really dire and you don't want it.

9. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

Thanks for saying what I was trying to say in 1/5 the words. ;)

10. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

I'm refraining from taking a champion for my TG these days...
    I'm almost refraining from putting a magical banner on them... Given their past records...

Or I could simply change...
    Sun standard, plaque of dominion or blessed totem of +d6" charge on TG? o_O
    Given that my Cold one riders also wants a banner... I'm refraining from giving the few bodyguards I have anything except a regular standard and a musician... A very expensive bodyguard for a simple champion... So not worth it...
    (I don't have 2k points, so no slann)

Cheers!

11. outsider
    Jungle Swarm

outsider New Member

Yust to reactivate a frozen topic.

How about the following:
    Give your Reverred Guardian a Charm of the Jaguar warrior.

Why:

The spell, steed of shadows doesn't say anything about the model leaving the unit.
    ( seen it happen on several ocasions ) Yust move your TG forward in turn 1. Then, in the magic phase, cast the steed of shadows.
    This will launch your RG forward ( preferably between enemy lines / or charge a war machine crew ).

Effect:
    For 55 points ( total of TG, guardian upgrade, charm ) you marchblock 3 to 4 of the enemy's units.
    Take out a war machine, or a lone wizard.

With his "acceptable" combat prowes, you could even charge into a full unit.
    With his 3 attacks, you can target a wizard in the front rank, and stand a good chance of slaying him.
    Afterwards, your RG wil die ( or flee ( who cares )).

Fire away

12. strewart
    OldBlood

Hmmm nope, I'm pretty sure that is not how the item was intended to be used. It says 'the model' may move, not the unit. It is specifically cast on the model, not on a unit. If a spell effects whatever unit the target character/model is in, it will say so.

The main rulebook says unit champions can never leave their unit, so if he took it then it would just be a waste of points. There is no way a 5+ to cast spell lets a whole unit fly, that would be rediculously powerful.

13. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

*Gathers general opinion gained through this thread*

RG's are useless.
    We should get to upgrade our TG's to Strewart instead.

Cheers!

14. strewart
    OldBlood

Wow this thread has basically made me, thats going in the sig too. :p

I think that I cost too many points to use in just a TG unit though, it'd have to be a really large battle.

15. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

Um... no. You're using the rules to say that just because the rules don't say that you can't do this, you can. The magic item is useless because the RG may never leave the unit.

I wonder how many times this topic is going to be resurrected.

16. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

I'm going to say 5. Remember that now. Here's the first. If the RG was the only model left, you COULD do it, because its a single model. Am I right...? (Maybe not)

17. strewart
    OldBlood

I guess you could.... But you are relying on the case where the entire unit except for 1 model is dead and that last model is not either fleeing or about to be dead. Doesn't happen very often at all. And what good is a lone flying TG in turn 4+ or so? If your TG unit is basically dead, everything is in combat and things probably aren't looking that great for the LM.

Also, you will have to check the dates on a few posts, I am pretty sure this thread has already been resurrected several times, this isn't the first.

18. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

I laughed a little when I read about the charm and waiting until the whole unit was dead. The only possible way for this work would be in a small unit of TG without a Slann. A big unit of TG w/ a Slann basically means that for him to be the only one left, the Slann must be dead. At that point, if your unit of TG was wiped out (save the champ), your Slann was dead, things are looking pretty bad for you as the LM player. No doubt, you opponent has some form of magical defense against this charm since he doesn't have to worry about dispelling your Slann's spells.

In a small unit of TG (say 10?), this seems like it could work. It would be a long shot because you'd have to have enough magic available to prevent your opponent from dispelling the move, after the TG rallied and was able to use this move. Keep in mind that your magic must come from skink priests because using a Slann means that he has to join the unit of TG. Once your magic phase allows this move to go off, you'll have to figure out a way whittle 9 temple guard off the unit without getting the champion killed (a proverbial moonshot). Remember, that your magic must remain viable throughout this process so that you can burn your opponents DD. Now, after all that you're ready to fly your lone TG into something and smash it. At this point though, all the warmachines and casters should be dead. If they're not, then chances are, you're not looking like your going to get a win anyways.

In theory, this idea sounds pretty good. I don't think its a good gamble to spend points on, because the payoff in game is not very beneficial (Lone, flying TG?) as compared to the work and luck needed to pull it off. It's a very entertaining idea though.

****This is the tread that won't die****

19. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

The vampires are watching us.
    *shifty eyes*

Funny idea about the lone champ, utterly useless and stupid, but funny nonetheless.

Cheers!

20. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

And then of course you realize that the RG is not a character, and so cannot be effected by Steed of Shadows. A champion will follow some of the rules for characters, but you cannot assume it DOES follow specific rules if it is not expressly stated. So while yes, you may take the Jag Charm on a RG, taking the item does not suddenly make him a character in all respects. Steed of Shadows can only be cast upon a character of US1, and champions are not characters.

In my opinion, the absolute best thing to put on him is the Venom of the Firefly Frog. He now has poisoned and magical attacks (3 of them) and he still retains his 2+ armor save with the HW and shield bonus. The other great thing about this setup is he has a good shot at wounding high toughness things as well as having the magic attacks to hit non-corporeals and cancel wood-elf wards etc. He also has the halberd option, though now it is even less necessary to use the halberd as poison will help you wound even more frequently. All of that and it is dirt cheap. I like the setup so much that my RG model will have magical looking poison vials strapped to him.

Jag Charm goes to the scar-vet with great weapon as per the tradition.