1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samurai Jack is back!!! - ... And with that the series concludes.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Dec 5, 2015.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Spoilers (for the entire series)...

Just A Skink likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

And a different version...

samurai_jack_alignment_chart_by_negan1994_dchzgdg-fullview.jpg

13. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I like the top six, but I disagree with the bottom three.

Aku is Neutral Evil in my opinion. He is a bit random and petty but he still created a moderately stable evil government.

The bug robots don't have personalities or free will. They cannot be good or evil, they just are. I'm not sure if the shadow version of Jack had any mind of it's own either.

Jack's father would be Lawful Good just like Jack. He is a little more formal than Jack but he still has the compassion and desire for justice in his heart. I don't think Mad Jack was Chaotic Neutral. He was pretty consistently evil. Chaotic Neutral does not equal madness.

Jujunga and Boris are probably Chaotic Evil but they are not very memorable characters. Zeke and his ex-wife Josephine might be Chaotic Evil. The Celtic Demon that tried to eat the Scottsman's wife might qualify as Chaotic Evil. The problem is apart of the Scottsmen, very few memorable or recurring characters were particularly Chaotic. That is the major flaw of the D&D 9 alignment system. Very few real world people are Chaotic with a capital "C" and since art imitates life, relatively few fictional characters are Chaotic.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I disagree.

Looking at this description of Chaotic Evil , it seems to describe Aku pretty well. Here are a few notable quotes that fit Aku...

"A chaotic evil character does whatever his greed, hatred, and lust for destruction drive him to do. He is hot-tempered, vicious, arbitrarily violent, and unpredictable."

"Chaotic evil is sometimes called "demonic" because demons are the epitome of chaotic evil."

"By promoting chaos and evil, those of this alignment hope to bring themselves to positions of power, glory, and prestige in a system ruled by individual caprice and their own whim."

" They see absolutely nothing wrong with taking whatever they want by whatever means possible."

"To a chaotic-evil being, the lives of others have no value and are incidental in the pursuit of ultimate freedom and personal power."

Personally, I don't think Aku had much to do in the creating of a stable evil government. He just sits atop everything and takes what he wants. I don't really see any governance at play in the show (not counting the past). Good people just try to get by and evil ones try to exploit them.

I agree. Like father, like son. They both follow the same code.

Scalenex likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

And another...

samurai 1JcCsMVVP4vZpU8iCGg4lKmNInMjwMuE7iqMYpzUc0A.jpg

16. Scalenex
    Slann

Your arguments are valid. I can accept that the label of Chaotic Evil applies to Aku.

I guess I put too much weight on a single episode where Aku acted very Lawful Evil but the overall trend is towards Chaotic Evil. It just so happens that the episode where Aku embodies Lawful Evil-ness is probably my all time favorite episode. Episode 13, "Aku's Fairy Tales."

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's a fun episode.

I have quite a few favourite episodes, including:
    • Jack and the Scotsman
    • Jack and the Scotsman II
    • The Scotsman Saves Jack (parts 1 & 2)
    • Jack and the Three Blind Archers
    • Jack and the Zombies
    • Jack and the Scarabs
    • Jack vs. the Ninja
    • The Princess and the Bounty Hunters
    • pretty much the entirety of season 5

Other notable episodes include:
    • The Premiere
    • Jack Learns to Jump Good
    • Jack vs. the Five Hunters
    • Jack and the Spartans
    • Couple on a Train
    • Jack and the Traveling Creatures
    • Jack and the Swamp Wizard
    • The Birth of Evil
    • Jack and the Labyrinth
    • Samurai vs. Samurai
    • Jack vs. Aku
    • The Four Seasons of Death
    • Tale of X-49

There are so many other great episodes. There really is something for everyone.

Warden likes this.
  18. Scalenex
    Slann

There were 62 episodes and 30 of them were your favorites...

Samurai Jack consistently made great episodes, no doubt there. I still like Aku's Fairy Tales best no matter how you slice it.

Looking back at the episode guide, the only one I did not like was Jack and the Baby. That was a really lousy season finale that didn't advance the main plot or establish much character we didn't know already. To add insult to injury, at the time we didn't know that a season 5 was coming so it looked like a very lackluster series finale.

I guess I was not a huge fan of "Chicken Jack" or "Jack and the Train," but they had their funny moments so I'll give them a pass.

I really enjoyed the follow up episodes that covered more details on Jack's training in Africa and Tibet. I feel like it was a missed opportunity that we didn't have similar episodes adding details to his episode one training montage.

I also feel like it was a missed opportunity that the series never followed up on the loose end from "Jack and the Travelers" in season 5, it was begging for it.

Warden likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

The first list is a collection of my favourites, of which there are 8, plus season five (which is essentially one really long episode/movie). The second list represents honorable mentions. If I really had to narrow it down further, the Scotsman episodes are at the very top of my list... followed very closely by Jack and the Zombies.

There are stronger and weaker episodes in season five as well, but I was being lazy so I didn't break it down further.

No surprise that I have a lot of favourites considering that Samurai Jack is my second favourite TV show off all time (and it does at times trade places with #1).

I never liked that one either. It is a weak episode overall, and as you pointed out, it was a terrible way to end the series (until season five swooped in over a decade later).

They did pay homage to the guardian in the second to last episode of season 5. It was subtle, but a nice Easter egg for fans.

Warden likes this.
  20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning