1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog So, My Painting Blog, The Journey Starts....

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Christopher, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Nice Astrolith!

Warden likes this.
  2. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

top of astrolith, first skull from the right, tooth. touch up needed

Christopher likes this.
  3. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

I've let this blog get dusty! My online presence dropped off for a couple of weeks there as I tried to keep up with normal life AND get stuff painted for my first tournament. I'm more or less back to normal, now, and will post a tournament report soon, along with some pictures of both models I've painted (quickly! to bare minimums!) and the tables and so on from Nashville.

4. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

and don't forget that astrolith! and voting in the monster mash!

Christopher likes this.
  5. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

Needed shades to look at the models ;P nice work, for someone who hasn’t been painting that long you have done a very good job. Just like everything, practise and experiments will increase your skill (you already have more than the basics) so you will only ever get better :)

Carno looks real nice

Aginor likes this.
  6. Christopher
    Terradon

IMG_4649.jpg

*blows dust off forum log-in credentials*

Is this thing still on?

Hello! So I kind of dropped out of the hobby for a year or so there, completely missing the start of AoS 2.0 and GHB 2018, but I've been lured back to the hobby by contrast paints (which I'm 50/50 on so far) and the Corvus Cabal models for Warcry. But I find I'm still mainly interested in Seraphon, and today opened up my cases and did a grand survey of my models. There are 257 of them (well, 96 are still unbuilt and in the box) and well under half of them are painted. About 6,300 points.

Actually, three of them don't count, because two of them are blot toads, and one of them is this guy. I have absolutely no memory of building or priming this model and I can't even tell what he's supposed to be. Looks like he's lost his tail, though, maybe--I'll have to dig around for that. Can anybody clue me in? He's a hero of some kind, but I'm not sure which. Square base! Whaaat?!?

7. Christopher
    Terradon

Oh, and for grins, here's the first model I painted from that warband. There's more to the corvidae than rooks, ravens, and crows, y'know.

familiar.jpg

8. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Welcome back! I’m liking the look of that Cabalite!

In the response to your question, I do believe that is a Saurus Oldblood, but the one you can buy individually rather than the one you make from the Troglodon set. He’s still completely legal to use in play though - he’s on sale on the website and is the version of he Oldblood that features in the Battletome pictures!

image.jpg

F62D409A-66B7-406D-B99D-F44CDB5AD0EF.jpeg

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Lizardmen-Saurus-Oldblood

Aginor, Warden and Crowsfoot like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome back ;)

10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice looking blue jay!

11. Christopher
    Terradon

Dreaming the impossible dream here. I have a one-on-one "get to know the system" Age of Sigmar 3.0 game with a friend on July 18th then I'm hosting a game day for AoS 3.0 on August 8th. I have an army to get ready and terrain to get ready. Here's the list I've prepared for myself, and no, I don't even remotely think I'll even get far into this list before the 18th, much less August 8th. But as the game day will be monthly, this is what I'm going for. The biggest thing to do before the 18th is to get everything on my army list built.
    • Repair Bastilodon (laser), Stegadon (little dudes), Troglodon (tongue) and Oldblood on Carnosaur (throne spike)
    • Build remaining Knights (two Drummers, two Bannermen, eight Spears)
    • Pop the extra Knight left arm on the Scar-Vet on Cold One (if original can’t be located)
    • Build Skink Priest
    • Build Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
    • Build Realmshaper Engine
    • Prime everything
    • Finish painting Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
    • Paint Skink Priest
    • Paint Knights (15)
    • Paint Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
    • Paint Bastilodon
    • Paint Stegadon
    • Paint Realmshaper Engine
    • Build Wyldwood of Ghyran, Dominion of Sigmar: Shattered Temple, Skull Altar, and Azyrite Shattered Plaza terrain
    • Paint Warcry starter box terrain
    • Prime other terrain
    • Paint other terrain

Warden, Imrahil, Tyranitar and 2 others like this.
  12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Holy Unpainted Army Batman!

This is quite a task you have set yourself!!!!

Warden likes this.
  13. Christopher
    Terradon

No doubt! If I can just get the army built and primed by the 18th I'll be more or less satisfied. All of it together may well take me 'til winter.

Warden and Lizards of Renown like this.
  14. Christopher
    Terradon

I am now just concentrating on getting everything built for my game Sunday. I still need to build two Saurus Knight icon bearers and seven Saurus Knights with Celestite Lances, a Scar-Vet on Carnosaur (!), and a Skink Priest, which of course is just a matter of cleaning up the model and popping it on a base. And tomorrow I have five pieces of terrain being delivered to the local Warhammer store (one the Realmshaper Engine). I'll be using a lot of glue over the next few days!

15. Christopher
    Terradon

Well, I did this this morning. First model I've painted in over three years. Tried out contrast paints for the first time. I'm not really satisfied with the results, but it's kind of growing on me. At first I thought the colors looked garish and cartoonish, but then I remembered I like cartoons. I'll probably continue to experiment with contrasts and dry paints because it takes so much less time and looks almost as good as my base/shade/layer/dry stuff. Needs cleaning up but I probably won't go back and do that until I have the other fourteen painted up to this level!
    first knight contrast.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  16. Christopher
    Terradon

This is interesting. On the left, a Skink Priest I painted using the "traditional" method of spray painting primer, adding in base paints, washing with shades, going in with multiple layer paints, dry brushing, and even using some technical paints (in the eyes). This probably took me about four hours over multiple sessions (keep in mind I'm a very slow painter). On the right, a Skink Priest I painted with contrast paints and dry brushed in about 45 minutes. I like the blue one a lot better, but I don't like it three hours better.
    blue and orange 1 (1).jpeg blue and orange 2 (1).jpeg

Warden, Imrahil, Walters and 3 others like this.
  17. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Both are pretty good (I like the blue one a bit more) but yeah, a factor of four... even if you clean up some details on the contrast one it will be less than half the time and look pretty good.

Christopher likes this.
  18. Christopher
    Terradon

Thanks!

Is the contrast range completely absent any metallic shades?

19. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yes, as far as I know. I doubt that metallic colors would work with that kind of color.

Warden and Christopher like this.
  20. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Both good looking models. The blue one definitely more than standard tabletop ready.
    If, as you say, you do not like it 3 hours better it is good to go more down the contrast route.

Grrr, Imrahil

Christopher likes this.