1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*SPOILERS* - The Mandalorian Thread - *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I refer to the True Mandalorians as a Mandalorian splinter group that attempted to free Mandalore from the tyranny of the Death Watch quite a time before Episodes I-III, until the Death Watch triggered an insurrection on the planet Galidraan to grab their attention and then luring a Jedi taskforce to the same planet, so that the two factions would destroy each other. All the True Mandalorians except one and a lot of the Jedi perished. One of the Jedi survivors was a younger Dooku, who witnessed the fighting skills of the one True Mandalorian to survive, and he later recruited that True Mandalorian to compete alongside myriad other bounty hunters and scum to find the best template for the Clone Army he was working on alongside Master Sifo-dyas. That True Mandalorian was Jango.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Imrahil and ravagekitteh like this.
  2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

That music is almost too good.

3. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

After rewatching the Mandalorian with my wife, we decided we enjoyed the first three episodes and the last two. We did not enjoy that one episode on the farming-planet where he has a love interest for five minutes then ATST happens and he leaves; we did not enjoy the acting in the bounty-hunter chase-episode on Tatooine, and we did not really care for the prison break episode though that was the best out of the weak three in the middle of the series. The main arc of the series was what was most entertaining about the show; the rest of the filler was boring and flat for us.

ravagekitteh and Imrahil like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

That's weird, to my wife and me the AT-ST episode is one of the high points of the series.
    But hey, different tastes I guess. :)

I do agree with the Tatooine and prison break episodes though. They were...OK to watch but not that good.

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I liked them both. Mandalorian basically tried to combine two styles of television. Long story arcs and episodic stand alone stories.

Firefly did the same thing but they did it better.

Anyway, I generally prefer the stand alone episodes. Basically because after seeing Kennedy's team screw up longer plots I longed for something simplicity. And I like Westerns with short simple plots, especially if I'm watching them a week apart between episodes instead of binging.

I watch a lot of Youtube videos on writing stories. I watched a few such videos on television and movie writing, something I'm not planning to to do but find interesting none the less. Weekly serials and binge worthy dramas have very different story needs. When writers/producers try to combine the two it gets messy.

I enjoyed the Mandalorian but I do not think it's a great show. I think it's a decent show. And that's the best Star Wars has presented to me since Disney commenced Order 66 on the expanded universe post Endor novels.

Imrahil and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

During the dark reign of that abysmal human being Kathleen Kennedy, being labeled "decent" is extremely high praise indeed!

Imrahil likes this.
  7. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

*ahem*

246E94F4-3533-4F1C-8FC1-A91AD3004CFF.jpeg

Imrahil likes this.
  8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

He's specifically talking about any Star Wars media set after Episode VI, which incorporates the Mandalorian, Resistance, the Sequel Trilogy e.t.c in the Disney universe and a whole host of novels in the original EU, so the last Clone Wars series, Rogue One e.t.c don't count in this case as they're set before Episode VI.

Given that everything else Disney has made set after Episode VI is genuinely awful, I can get on board with @Scalenex's comment even though I haven't yet watched the Mandalorian, because it isn't too hard to make something superior to such bilge. Unless something really stupid happens, chances are I'll still find it better than Episodes VII-IX.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning