1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

The glove, if I’m correct, is called the Infinity Gauntlet, which is from Avengers: Infinity War, and can somehow wreck the universe if used right (I’ve never seen Infinity War, so that’s all I know). In the image Rian Johnson, who directed Episode VIII, is wearing the Infinity Gauntlet, and I’m assuming is paraphrasing Thanos, the main villain from Infinity War, to represent how he divided the fan base when his film was released in a satirical fashion.

pendrake likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

The joke hinges on the fact that in Avengers Infinity War (and the comics), Thanos uses the Infinity Gauntlet to "balance" the universe by wiping out half the life in it. As such, Rian Johnson is being made fun of for wiping out half the Star Wars fan base (because so many people disliked The Last Jedi movie).

@Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl : how exactly have you not gotten around to seeing Infinity War?

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Mainly because I’ve been too busy with various things but also because I’m not really a fan of any of the Avengers except Thor, and I’m mainly a fan of Thor due to the mythological connotations.

pendrake likes this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Well Thor has a significant amount of quality screen time in it, so go and watch it.

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Well, he didn’t get me... :shifty: ...I am immune to the gauntlet.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It's not about immunity. Thanos' goal is not to wipe out all life, only half of it. Who lives and dies is random.

7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I meant Rian whassis-whoever...

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's how I feel about him as well. :D

9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Reminds me that I should watch Infinity War at some point.
    Might just get the BluRay or so. *checks Amazon*.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You definitely should. It is a fun movie!

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Re-edit trailer...

Killer Angel likes this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

No comments on the re-edit trailer? In my opinion TLJ would have been radically improved if it went in that direction.

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Sorry, only just had time to watch it ;)

Having Admiral Ackbar there in front of everyone is the best thing in it - it was needless to kill him off and introduce Holdo when you could have just kept Ackbar and developed his character more. How did the creator of the video do that?

Shame to see that the creator didn't decide to just delete the Superman Leia scene and keep the scene with her killed off by being blown out of the bridge with the TIE Fighter blast (in the trailer she still survives to Crait) - that would have been a great opportunity for some hero mortality (killing Leia for good) and to have Admiral Ackbar get his chance to be the overall leader of the fleet. If Leia doesn't get shot out of the bridge, there's no need to have the immediate junior officer become the commander-in-chief and it makes the whole scene, whether with Ackbar or Holdo, worthless.

I like the idea of Luke handing the Lightsaber to Rey not the other way around, as if he's giving her the opportunity to train as his Padawan learner - he decides "OK, I've had enough of this stuff, let's get you trained up a bit", and I also like the Lightsaber change from the holographic version of Anakin's one to his green one, as if he's actually fighting Kylo not the mental projection, but that doesn't explain his younger appearance. The reason he looks younger in the scene is because it's the Force projection, so if you were to have him actually fight Kylo, you would have to make him look as old as he was on Ach-To.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

It would have been a massive improvement.

But no, that would have been too good… :banghead:

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It's funny what difference a few small tweaks (made by one guy) can make!

I have no idea how he made the Ackbar scene. In regards to Luke looking younger, that is a tough one. The guy only has so much to work with; he has to make best use of the material that is available to him.

I just love how one person can fix the blunders of an entire company.

16. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

With the exception of the reverse lightsaber, Ackbar and a different coloured blade, I honestly don’t see how that couldn’t be a trailer for movie as it is. It’s not exactly changing much. I do agree though that it’s a shame they didn’t get Ackbar to take the role that Holdo did. It would have been the perfect end to his character. However, I can see why they didn’t. In today’s political climate, you can’t have a character called Ackbar perform a suicide attack. Also, his voice actor passed away before the film was made. If it wasn’t for those two things, I would say that’s what they likely would have done in the first place

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Obviously the guy making the trailer has to use existing footage, so he is limited in what he can do. However, his re-edited trailer essentially tells a different story, it changes EVERYTHING...
    • Rey needs to train (no more Mary Sue character)
    • Luke wants to train her (evidenced by what he says and by handing her back the lightsaber); the Luke that most fans wanted
    • There is no sign of Rose or the Canto Bight Scene
    • Setting up a Rey + Luke versus Kylo + Snoke showdown
    • No Holdo.... no "I'm not telling you my plan" nonsense
    • a traitor in among the rebellion crew sets up a completely different story arc
    No, they still never would have let Ackbar take the spotlight. They want to bury the old characters and promote the new ones (that people don't like nearly as much). Plus...

[​IMG]

18. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

Frankly I think that trailer was very similar to the actual trailer for the film, and I still think it could more or less be used for the original film.

Also, why do you hate that picture so much?

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Fair enough. I disagree, but to each their own.

I don't hate the film itself as a whole (although there are many aspects of it that I do hate), but I think it could have been so much more. I do hate the identity politics that surrounds the film and the franchise now that Disney owns it.

20. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

I don’t mean the film, I mean the picture of Kathleen Kennedy and co. (and don’t say because Kathleen Kennedy is in it)