1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start on a new lizardmen army - Army Painter being used.

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Kaughnor, Mar 2, 2012.

1. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Looking good, can't wait to see how the skinks turn out. I'm always jealous of people who can paint nice looking models fast. Even my "speed painting" still takes my prolly close to an hour per model from sprue to complete!

2. Kaughnor
    Saurus

Kaughnor Member

Thanks for all the feed back so far. I've nearly finished my first unit of skinks and decided to dip one last night to get a preview of how the unit will turn out. I like it over all, though the dip really mellows out the yellow. I do need to change up my method for my second unit of skinks. I gobbed the yellow primer on which resulted in a noticeable loss of detail on the models. For my next ten I'll apply a couple of light coats of yellow allowing time to dry between sprays. Here's a photo any way. Sorry its low res. Tonight after I apply a mat spray I'll take a better photo.

March+9+055.JPG

3. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Looking good. How long is it taking you to paint a regiment like that?

With the spray paint thing, I usually find the best is to put on thin coats, applying each new coat while the previous one is still tacky. So give it a light dusting, wait a few seconds, give it another. With GW sprays that dry quite quickly I find I spray one side of maybe 10-15 models, flip them over, spray the other side, and by the time I'm done with that the first side is tacky and I flip them back around and spray the first side again, repeating 3 or 4 times.

I've screwed myself a couple of time, though, when going to spray only a one or a handful of models and I finish spraying one side too quickly because there's not a lot of models and go back for the second coat too soon. Its also tricky when the weather is cold and the paint doesn't dry as fast.

4. Kaughnor
    Saurus

Kaughnor Member

I've got about 4 hours in on the skinks. I want to finish the unit tonight and I figure it will take me about 2 hours then the 24 hour wait while the dip dries. The Saurus warriors I'm not too sure how much time I put into them. Over 2 weeks perhaps 15-20 hours? I'll try spraying my next batch of skinks as you described. Hopefully no detail will be lost on the second batch.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  5. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

Although you say the detail and brightness of the yellow disapeared on your skinks, I like how they match with your SW (their shield). See on the pictures that you have a lot more to paint. Hope you finish your skinks tonight.

6. tankrothchild
    Skink

tankrothchild New Member

Your army is going to look amazing on the table.

7. Kaughnor
    Saurus

Kaughnor Member

Thanks again for the positive feedback. I finished painting the skink skirmishers last night. I've got to say I'm not intirely happy with the way they turned out. I'm fairly sure its because I screwed up my yellow primer coat that robbed the models of detail or it might be that the army painter dip itself does not work well with a yellow undercoat. I'm going to paint up a second unit of skinks to see how they turn out with more care givin to the primer spray. I also took a better photo of the two dipped models with a mat spray applied:

march10+002.JPG

I thought I could take a shortcut with the eyes but it has not turned out well (part of the problem again is the loss of detail and natural curves and crevaces of the model). So I'm debating to pre-paint the eyes or paint them after the dip. I have not actually dipped the bulk of my painted mini's yet as I'm thinking I will base them first with fine sand. That way the dip will shade the sand saving me a wash of devlin mud and leaving me only flocking left to do. The army is taking shape and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now (at least for a 1000 points painted and based).

Going to take a week off though. It St. Patrick's on Saturday and I play in a Pogues cover band. My focus has shifted to get ready for a couple of gigs coming up at the end of the week. Thanks again for all the positive feedback. And I would welcome any criticism to help me nail down my paint schemes.

8. Kaughnor
    Saurus

Kaughnor Member

It's been a long while but I'm back on board the dinosaur train. Just a couple of pictures showing where I'm at. Focusing on finishing up painting a 1500 point army then will build another 1000 points to bring me up to a full army size.

20140119_001036.jpg

The above is currently where the 1500 points are at (except for the test model for the temple guard).

20140119_185407.jpg

A pre dip temple guard model

20140120_233207.jpg

After the dip. Waiting another 12 hours or so before I apply anti mat spray. I went with the orange shields to tie the army together and still differentiate the temple guard from the saurus. Not sure if I like it as much as the yellow shields but I think the end product will look good. I'm thinking when I get to the slann I will prime white, then a light coat of demonic yellow from army painter. From there I will paint the slann orange to go with the orange shields of the temple guard.

Attached Files:

9. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Looking good! I've been using quickshade a lot myself and have pretty good results. Which tone are you using? I've been using the darkest shade to cover and shade red/metal colours well but I think it might be too dark for yellow.

As a side note - make sure you close the lid properly! I left the lid of mine open a crack for a week and now it's rock solid. Wasted 2/3 of the tin!

Warden likes this.
  10. Kaughnor
    Saurus

Kaughnor Member

20140121_194217.jpg

So here he is after the mat spray. I think I may need a new can of dip (dark quick shade). Looking at this thread I forgot that I bought that can 2 years ago. The dip seems to be congealing on the model in recessed areas (most notably the weapon). Also, I need to get a system down to start painting on the dip rather than dipping and shaking. I suppose I should invest in some paint thinner to clean the brushes. Also, I think I should have given the dip another few hours or so before I applied the mat spray. There was some cracking I noticed after the fact that likely was caused by the varnish not being completely dry. Still though, I like the colours and will plow ahead with the rest of the squad.

11. Gorgosaurus
    Saurus

Gorgosaurus New Member

If you need more points I suggest either a Bastiladon with an Ark of Sotek or a Troglodon/Carnosaur

Love it, keep it up!

12. Kaughnor
    Saurus

Kaughnor Member

I've been busy this last weekend. Dipped another test model for the temple guard. This time went with only gold for the metallics, I think it turned out much better and will copy it for the rest of the block. Also, nearly finished building models up to 2k (just need to add bits and bobs after painting takes place). I've dropped my salamanders for now and put in a bastilidon and carnosaur. Also built and primed another skink unit, this time equipped with javelins and shields.

20140126_214344.jpg

For the bastilidon I'm going to paint the body the same as the steg but for the armour plates which I will paint orange. Not sure then how to tackle the carnosaur. It will probably be the last model I paint for the 2k army giving me some time to dwell on a paint scheme that fits the rest of the army.

13. Kaughnor
    Saurus

Kaughnor Member

I think I've settled on my 2k list to paint. Built a couple of models and also worked on my temple guard. Not the best photo below, but I'm working on getting the front rank of the temple guard painted. Dropped the chameleons because I bought them used. I just cannot get behind the other dudes paint job that I bought them off of. In their place I'm going to paint up a skink chief on terradon and the new skink priest model from last summer. I love that model. I've changed my list to grab two dispel scrolls so I can use that model. Anyway, terradon to be painted same colour as saurus and the skink heroes will be primed yellow. I still have no idea what to paint the carnosaur. Another great model release from last summer. Got to make sure its included in my list. If anyone reading has some good suggestions what to paint it: I would love to hear about it. Anyway here's my latest photo:

20140129_231644.jpg

14. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

Carnosaur belly (basically anything non scaley)

XV88
    Tallarn sand
    Zandri dust - roughly over the tallarn sand (almost the same color, but gives some effect)
    Drybrush Ushtabi bone.

That'll gibe you a leathery bright boney brown.

I love it for my monsters hide.

The scales you can do however you like, i find most colors match that basic layer, for a carno, i'm in the red wagon though.

15. sillyduck123
    Saurus

sillyduck123 Member

Wow :D very nicely done i'll be taking notes

Warden likes this.
  16. King's Pawn
    Skink

King's Pawn Member

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but your models look really good! I found your thread on converting bases and that's what led me here, top notch stuff you're definitely making me consider dip/wash for my own army.

Warden likes this.
  17. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Excellent use of batch painting, my good sir.

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Awesome work. Your army looks awesome already!

19. Sauros
    Saurus

Sauros Active Member

Your color scheme looks very nice, congrats !