1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Suds 2022 Paint & Kitbash Blog

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

My custom Tidecaster using the Drummer from the Leviadon kit:

He carries around both an inscribed drum & a standard, the standard planted firmly into the ground behind him emitting an erie light. Using the magical drum he channels his magic into rhythmic ripples that spread out all around him, bringing the sea to all no matter where they be.

I may add something minor but the base is pretty full as is 20220225_151354.jpg

2. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I think its hilarious that you also have leftover green stuff sausages leftover at the end of your projects :D

I always seem to have leftover milliput at the end of every project that never gets up being used, so I roll them into tiny boulder-sized pebbles to be used for future terrain projects. It comes in handy!

3. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Haha! Absolutely! Everytime lol. Ill end up using these as like Sea Cucumbers and such, but yes, Im always making rocks or pebbles for mine also lol

4. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Current Progress: My Enclave being from a Kelp Forest region I am trying to mimic that with greens and some blues. Free handed some kelp onto the lower fabric portion.
    This guy rides the Karapiti, aka Crabnos 20220226_150641.jpg

5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

So, this is the Deepkin force im starting with, and in my own way heavily Kitbashed. The units represented are: Leviadon, Tidecaster, Soulrender, & Eels. I have plans for more but this should be a good spot to start.

I still have a few things to finish like the Howdah + Crew and Seahorses, very excited.

Also - a side note - Are they Seahorses? My partner after looking at them said, "they looks more like Eels to me than Seahorses"

Thoughts? IMG_20220227_162452_176.jpg

6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

The Seahorses should swim upright, which I think will handle your problem.

7. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

They might look more like seahorses in a rush than the normal positioned seahorse, upright as @Lizards of Renown already mentioned.

Grrr, Imrahil

8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Eh, they're just gonna stay as is, I'm not gonna cut em up to make em "proper", tis a fantasy world afterall! But that is probably why, yes.

And yeah, I can see this as a more natural seahorse in a rush

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Fair enough. Definitely not eels though with that body shape, eels are long and sleek with no real change in their body width. These guys have the basic outline of a seahorse.

10. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah, that's what I said to her, and they swim like a ribbon (eels).

If I had the skill and knowledge, I might attempt "true" sea horses, but i fear id just fuck up these beautiful sculpts (more than I have already) to a point of not being usable and a waste of money. One day maybe though, cause true Seahorses would be badass.

Clearly these are evolved sea horses for faster traveling and agility ;)

Lol

11. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Hey everyone, I hope you are all doing well and if you're not I certainly hope things get better for you soon!

I am nearly done with this first Deepkin model which will be going onto the Karapiti as the Captain, as I have decided that the Direchasm guy shall be my Soulrender model. I'm really pleased with the Skin and metallics especially, they came out real good I think. The metal I feel captures what armor would look like in reflective waters, capturing its essence almost. Just have a few small things left and some washes and then onto the next!
    20220301_122700.jpg 20220301_122613.jpg 20220301_122644.jpg 20220301_122557.jpg

I have also primed the Karapiti! And here is a little look at how well the Texturing came out, I'm super excited! I am thinking this scheme for it

20220301_160123.jpg 0000297_spiny-rock-lobster_870.jpeg

Happy Hobbying everyone! Let me know what you think if you like :)

12. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Very good job!! I love the colorscheme, the skin and metal in particular are done amazing.
    I like the green cloths representing the ocean floor :pompus:

The bottom edge can use a little more depth in color, though

Amazing it comes out so good!! I really can see the resemblance. Great colors to work on.

Grrr, Imrahil

Noxolotl, Sudsinabucket and Bowser like this.
  13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Looks awesome!

Noxolotl, Sudsinabucket and Bowser like this.
  14. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Been working on my Soulrender a little bit, primarily at this point working on the Armor.

(Armor Recipe:

Chaos Black > Runefang Steel > Aethermatic Blue > Silver (watered down) > Coelia Greenshade)

Same as the guy before, I'll likely do green robes with a trim of blue and likely freehand some kelp designs onto the cloth section. Thinking of using Tesseract Glow on the lamp. Definitely more to come :)

20220304_134433.jpg 20220304_135208.jpg

Also have been working on the Karapiti... it is in its... Very...very... Ugly Duckling phase, it'll all come together in the end though. A bit harder to translate the lobster color scheme onto it, but we're managing. Mainly just base colors atm, so still a lot to go

"Although it feeds widely on the large kelp stalks of the forest, the Karapiti has been known to sink ships - one such ship full of Ogres that was hunting one such beast - with a cauldron of Butter -. Stories have been told of a ravage Karapiti that lurks the shipping lanes - sinking many luxury ships of the rich... because it smells butter upon them"
    20220304_003401.jpg 20220304_003343.jpg

EFHILT 167, Noxolotl, Izla and 4 others like this.
  15. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks man! I am definitely really hapoy and proud of both the armor and skin. Agreed thoufh, the cloth portions definitely need some TLC.

16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks man! :)

Lizards of Renown and Bowser like this.
  17. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

My progress for tonight, not as much as I'd like, but looking more "alive" with a good portion of the primer being covered on the actual character. Lighting at my parents house isn't great, but wanted to paint some while I house & dog sit :)

20220306_001126.jpg 20220306_001235.jpg

Worked on the cloak, cloth, net and eel primarily. Mostly base coats with some blending, I'll get better pictures with better lighting when I am home again.

I also primed my Tidecaster conversion! So hoping to begin that soon also.

18. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Hey everyone! Hope you're doing well this morning!

I am almost done with my Soulrender/ Elathain, I have been focusing on the Eel, Weapon and a real first attempt at a glow from the Latern.

The Eel I wanted to be colorful and a warm focal point. Inspiration came from when I was playing Path of Titans when I was playing my Megalania (very large Komodo Dragon species) and one of the skin options is similar to this. I very much enjoy the sudden color change from body to head.

For the weapon I was inspired by those tribes who use whale bone to carve weapons and tools. On the blade of bone I also painted a simple serpent sea monster by highlight the back scales, eyes and belly scales in black.

The latern and glow is a first for me, and still unsure if I'll keep it. I think for a first attempt it is ok, though I may add a bit more "glow" onto the helmet if I decide to keep it. I'm not 100% how I feel about it.

Need to do basecoat to the ruins on the base, but my next focus will be the cloak & cloth areas. I have also been working to improve my pictures a bit and fiddling with a better white background, though I still ideally want a better black background.

Let me know what you think!
    20220308_005541.jpg 20220308_005616.jpg

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Love the lantern and armour.

Noxolotl, Bowser and Sudsinabucket like this.
  20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you, I too love the armor especially - it has come out really well. I am excited to see a whole army / Soul-Raid Party in this armor!