1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Suds 2022 Paint & Kitbash Blog

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Ive had this idea in my head for awhile for my Deepkin for whenever I started them. The idea was for an underwater chariot as a Leviadon Conversion of sorts

Enter the Gra’psus Enclave War Chariot!

Or the very very basic idea of it lol. I'll need a second howdah or Leviadon kit to do it (maybe I'll get one for my birthday coming up ). The other option is to have the Karapiti Howdah-less for now and use this howdah for the Chariot idea.

We'll see but for now just fiddling with the idea and enjoying seeing it mocked up. Would need to add reins and a few other things of course :) 20220308_100940.jpg 20220308_100913.jpg

EFHILT 167, Noxolotl, Vedras and 4 others like this.
  2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

:wideyed::woot::woot::woot:
    Insanely good idea. I instantly see the chariot of the Little Mermaid in my head :angelic:

This looks promising.
    It will need a lot of interesting base filling though...

Grrr, Imrahil

Noxolotl, Sudsinabucket and Bowser like this.
  3. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Haha, yes! I had to go rewatch the scene with it, but I can totally see it. And thank you, have wanted to do this for awhile but wasn't quite ready, still not sure how to do the reins:rolleyes: but I have one idea I'm gonna try out

Oh totally! I have some cork plans and gonna look for some kelp and other things, may look a bit more diorama when done. Will be quite the project itself

Vedras, Noxolotl, Imrahil and 2 others like this.
  4. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

After some feedback I decided to hunt down a few more shorter flight stands to see how the model would look with the chariot more level with the steeds. I definitely like it and it was worth looking at, but I think I'm going to cut the difference and have the chariot slightly above the steeds. I am thinking of having the bottom of the "command post" being level with the tops of the mounts, I think that will be best of both worlds :) 20220309_085632.jpg 20220309_085540.jpg

5. Imrahil
    Slann

I agree with the chariot it self being a little higher than the 'steeds'. It will look a bit more dramatic.
    What will you use for the reins?
    I have ones used two pieces of small gauge iron wire twisted around each other.

Looking forward to your solution

Grrr, Imrahil

6. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I have a few ideas for reins after looking at many chariot pictures. My first idea that I am testing out (pictured below) is using a spare bit from the Keeper of Secrets kit (part of its flowy fabric) and using it as a central hub of sorts. It'll go around top of the central steed and then have connection points to the two side steeds. I am also going to make a mold of a spear shaft (I think) to use as poles to alsp go on wither aide of the central steed (again, I think). Other ideas are actual necklace chain (possibly superglued to keep it in pace) and possibly the wire you and others have mentioned.

This is by far the most complicated conversion I have attempted and is definitely pushing me. I still need to finish the seahorses themselves also 20220310_142544.jpg 20220310_142627.jpg 20220310_142642.jpg

7. Imrahil
    Slann

Nice use of parts!
    This is definitly more stylish than chain or rope :cigar:

I can see how it will look together: Very good!

The cork gives more life to the base already

Grrr, Imrahil

8. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Suds, your conversion work is really inspiring. I have nothing to add, other than I agree that the cork gives the base a lot of life.

I think it should be chipped away at all over to take away the angular aspect and then it could be painted as coral, which would be awesome.

9. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! Definitely having to get creative with this one haha. I have finished the lead steed, so now I need to figure out how I'm gonna have it connected to that "arm" of the chariot. I may cut/file down the ends of the "arms" so they come down to a smaller part to make it look more natural when it connects to the steed.

And agreed, still figuring out the base for sure, I wanna get some plastic kelp or somehow make some with maybe greenstuff?

10. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I really appreciate those kind words man, I hope to inspire so it feels good to know that I am :) You know me - Just wanna show ppl what you can do when you try a little out of the comfort zone! Thank you :)

That is actually a really good idea about the cork! I may do just that if I decide my region has coral... does coral grow in colder waters such as on the western US coast? Or is that more warmer waters?

11. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Speaking of Seahorses.....

First Kelp Steed for the Chariot, as they are commonly known, is done! Added small "wings" (fins) towards the front of the torso along with the larger back fins.

Species name might be the Kelp Sea Dragon/ Kelp Dragon. Loosely based off the Weedy Sea Dragon of the seahorse family

Parts used:

Blissbarb Seeker Mount- Body
    Large Fins - Ripperdactyl Tail (End)
    Small Fins - Small membrane part of Ripperdactyl Tail (front)
    20220312_173923.jpg 20220312_173946.jpg Screenshot_20220312-173302_Google.jpg

EFHILT 167, Noxolotl, Vedras and 3 others like this.
  12. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Working idea for the chariot, will need to make adjustments on spacing (originally the steeds weren't all in a line next to each other), but very happy with the general look and progress of the building and theory meshing together so far. I still plan to have the lead steed infront to be clear.

I have one other idea id like to try for the harnesses on the side steeds which connect them to the central, but misplaced some bits so trying to hunt them down somewhere in the house lol

The idea is that the arms "hook" into the saddles so they can be unhooked during battle if needed or for after battle. Trying to make it look as natural as possible 20220314_115220.jpg 20220314_115253.jpg 20220314_115305.jpg 20220314_114734.jpg 20220314_103810.jpg

Still much work to do

13. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

And some actual painting :)

A lot of base paint work + washes and dry brushing, its still a hot mess but its my hot mess, the Karapiti lives!

Using Terradon Turquoise over Celestra Grey & White Scar I decided to go after a more emerald look for the side view of my beast. I still want to "blue up" the purple on the shell area, but generally I'm happy with its progress. I love the tail, even if it feels weird to just have this super bright spot at the end lol

All in all as I said... its a hot mess still but I atill think in the end itll be great.

Also! Skalglum Priestsnatcha & Rakkadak the Snoutless will be making a return soon!

20220316_132016.jpg 20220316_131947.jpg 20220316_131848.jpg 20220316_131819.jpg 20220316_131745.jpg 20220316_131641.jpg

JTSleep, Noxolotl, Imrahil and 3 others like this.
  14. Vedras
    Chameleon Skink

Vedras Well-Known Member

Really loving how this is coming along. I get that this is a work in progress but that purple works so well. Im bot entirely sure of the green but you clearly have a game plan in mind so just keep forging ahead @Sudsinabucket

15. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Looks incredible! Really digging these deep sea colors. This is coming along brilliantly.

16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

This is really awesome Suds. The Karapiti looks amazing.

17. Imrahil
    Slann

:woot::woot:
    I very much approve of this!!

Grrr, Imrahil

18. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. It is a nice purple, I am fiddling with the idea if instead of "bluing it up" adding small bits of orange into the shell where there are natural spots for it, I think that would help tie in the flukes a bit. And yeah, the green is growing on me, but unsure of it still a little bit. I think once the claws are their more purple color the green will begin to look more natural. I really didn't like the grey I originally had, so I thought green would be a good color; I think in the end it'll pay off. I am still planning to build the green up even more though.

Thanks again!

19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! Very much appreciated, there is so much color in the oceans its crazy! Definitely want to capture that if I'm able

20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank ya! It means a lot :) definitely progressing! Im excited to see her evolve into however she comes out