1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Suds Paint Blog of Conquest: The Last Arguments of Kings

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, May 2, 2021.

1. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

They really are gorgeous, have built a few things the last couple of nights

2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

What has been built

Some Blooded, the Matriarch Queen (kitbashed to have a shield), and some raptor Riders (again kitbashed to have shields).

This week is raptor week! So i am starting with Raptor Riders and trying to get through as many as I can, I have 6 at the moment total that can be painted, 9 total to do. I started the first one early this morning (3am or so) and going a different direction than the first raptors who were a black/grey skin.

My W'adrhŭn will be Red-Brown skin tones, and using African Tribes and Native American tribes for inspiration for their armor, shields, feathers and possible mount warpaint.

All in all I'm excited for Orctober

20211003_050908.jpg 20211002_091323.jpg 20211001_201018.jpg 20211001_201033.jpg 20211001_201238.jpg 20210930_162948.jpg 20210930_163440.jpg 20210930_163503.jpg 20211002_005803.jpg 20211002_005819.jpg

Aginor, Warden, EFHILT 167 and 5 others like this.
  3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Can’t wait to see what you do with them Suds! :D

4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

This is a really great start! Those layers go very nice together:artist:

Grrr, Imrahil

5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks everyone! I too am excited to see where these will go, I really do enjoy painting these Conquest models.

With being back in school my time is *slightly* more restricted so I wasn't able to work on the Raptor as much as I wanted this weekend, bit going full steam during the week. So far I have just base colors on, but I have also began adding some stripes to the skin and some color to the feathers. The inspiration is Fall and all the changing colors from greens to yellows to oranges and all the inbetweens. For the feathers ill be lightening them up from a darker orange to a more amber/light yellow on top.

Slowly but surely! Going to start the rider today 20211004_012801.jpg 20211004_012819.jpg 20211004_012832.jpg

EFHILT 167, Aginor, Warden and 4 others like this.
  6. Imrahil
    Slann

He is looking awesome. The thin stripes look incredible on him!
    It makes him look even more dynamic and cool :cool:

Great thematic point of view. Transition to Yellow will look amazing.

Keep up the good work
    (and great to see that school is back again for you)

Grrr, Imrahil

Warden, Sudsinabucket and Noxolotl like this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Love the detail, you continue to bring them to life with your excellent painting! :artist::artist::artist:

Sudsinabucket likes this.
  8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! i do definitely think he came out real well, I too love the stripes. the feathers with the dark in between them also looks cool to me.

school is so bizarre, especially doing it online lol

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  9. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you :) These models are a lot of fun to paint, though also frustrating at times haha. though I suppose that's a lot of miniatures, fun but frustrating at times. i appreciate the kind words, still learning and hoping to improve!

Lizards of Renown and Warden like this.
  10. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Raptor Week

I’m really enjoying Orctober and getting back to my Wadrun. Raptor week, although I did not finish all three as hoped, was a real big success! I got through all the Raptors themselves, minus some details, bases, and final look over. As for the Riders, I got one of the three done, but I did get the last two started. The plan is to hopefully finish them in the last week of Orctober, along with whatever else doesn’t get finished throughout the month. I kept the base color of the skin the same (dark green) and then the feathers I had a little more liberty with, but still kept them semi-like.

For the first raptor I wanted to add stripes, as I think with its dynamic pose of charging with mouth open that the stripes would add to the ferocious look. The second Raptor I was trying to imagine what a male raptor might look like, colorful face with vibrant feathers to impress mates with. As for the third, the markings were originally meant to be natural, loosely based off Blue from JW. However, the more I look at it the more it looks like WarPaint to me (others have also said this, which is awesome), which I love. I was already planning on attempting war paint on mounts, inspired by native american tribes and their horses, so this just plays into that really well. I am calling the War Paint, “Teeth of the River”, as to me it kinda looks like a river with jagged teeth. I’ll be sharing the colors once they’re done or at the end of the month with the final post.

The riders I went with my traditional red-brown skin tone, which i think really goes well with the rest of the colors of the raptors themselves. Garments I was going for lighter leather-type clothing, using ochre as a base color.

Infantry Week

With Raptor Week ended on Saturday at 11:59am EST, Infantry Week has marched in with full strength! I am beginning this week with my Matriarch, as she is primed and the weather hasn’t been great for priming my Blooded Yet.

I have begun first with her shield, which she does not come with officially. I took one of the shields from the Braves kit and combined pieces from the Matriarchs kit to create what I call the “Apex Shield''. The shield has an arm brace that has two arms that stick out with two large Apex teeth at the end, used to impale foes in close quarters or to balance her halberd in a defensive pose. Feathers upon the shield are from the tail of an Apex, and the Matriarch herself drew an Apex upon the shield's face to represent her and the shield’s strength. I am still debating between bone or like a grey bark for her armor, may go with bone but still up in the air about it. My Wadrun tend to have a lot of earth tones.

For the Matriarch herself i am going a Silver Birch/Ash tree type look for the armor she wears coupled with bone pieces (notably on her shoulders). I’ll likely match her feathers in her headdress to those on her shield, while making her spear a bit colorful to pop against the high amount of earth tones being used. The leather color i usually go with is really close to her skin ton, so i may go with a more black leather for her in the end.

(Part Two of the Post has the Matriarch photos)

20211006_004259.jpg 20211006_004240.jpg 20211006_004318.jpg 20211006_004148.jpg 20211006_004118.jpg 20211007_000820.jpg 20211007_000803.jpg 20211008_180208.jpg 20211009_052412.jpg 20211009_060350.jpg

EFHILT 167, Aginor, kroxh and 5 others like this.
  11. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Part two! The Progress so far on the Matriarch Queen.

Lore bit about the shield:

Called the Apex Shield, for attached to it two Apex teeth stick out, used to impale foes at close range b the Matriarch. The two teeth come from an Apex which would not concede to the Matriarch and it came to a fight to the death. Painted upon the shields face is that of the fallen Apex, symbolizing the Matriarch's own ferocity and status among the Tribe.

Hope you enjoyed all the progress so far on my Wadrun! Also you can check out a video of the three raptors together on my Instagram at the link below

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU0aqJ2Lj_a/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

20211011_214802.jpg 20211011_214817.jpg 20211011_214745.jpg IMG_20211011_184449_551.jpg IMG_20211011_184449_587.jpg

12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Awesome work! Love the chief lady, she looks intense.

Favorite part is definitely the stripes on the feathery raptors :vamp:

Sudsinabucket, Noxolotl and Imrahil like this.
  13. Imrahil
    Slann

Great work.
    Those raptors are sublime!!

The shield of the Matriarch looks awesome.

Keep up the good work

Grrr, Imrahil

Sudsinabucket and Noxolotl like this.
  14. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

She is intense! You can't see it yet, but she us holding a human heart in her shield hand lol I'm thinking of making a pool of blood under her.

Yeah, the raptors came out great, especially the stripes. I have a few more raptors to do after this also lol

EFHILT 167 and Lizards of Renown like this.
  15. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks man! I really love the shield, going to have to use it for my Apex Matriarch whenever I can get one! Just keep blue tacing it hahahaha

And yeah, raptors came out great... I have 3 unbuilt left ;)

Imrahil likes this.
  16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Apex is now on pre order! I am so stoked! I am hoping to get one, just not sure when.

The Predator is shown here, the Matriarch comes seperate but kit can use both. It has a second head option of it roaring, I personally prefer this head.
    FB_IMG_1634151427096.jpg FB_IMG_1634151431867.jpg

Slow week, lots going on, but slowly working in my Matriarch + I got 4 blooded primed! So hoping to get through some of those as well by Saturday.

Hope you all are having a great day/night!

Noxolotl, Warden, Aginor and 6 others like this.
  17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

That is an awesome model!

Looking forwards to what you do with it Suds!!!

18. Imrahil
    Slann

Wowzers what a magnificent beast is that!

How does it compare size-wise? It looks bigger than a Carno, but smaller than a Dread.
    I hope, for you (and our joy of seeing your work), that you are able to get one :angelic:

Keep up the good work

Grrr, Imrahil

19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Really is a magnificent beast.

So, definitely bigger than a Carno, but ive heard not large enough (height) for a Dread? But then I hear it is around 8 inches tall... which is half an inch taller than a dread, so not sure on the Dread, but I intend to measure/compare when I get mine.

And... me too, me too

20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I have an idea of a color scheme! Just not totally sure yet

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.