1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Suds Painting & Kitbashes of 2020

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Thank you! I really enjoy the Iliatha twin lore, so just running with it. Twin Mountain Spirits just sounds cool to me, so here we are lol Lumineth lore is also big imon balance... Ying & Yang type stuff, so Destruction & Rebirth fits pretty well.

Here's the progress update before i go to bed

20201007_001240.jpg IMG_20201007_001953_297.jpg
    Head is dry fitted

2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Ha, probably not! But that's ok, it may be more of a display piece, unless I can find ppl to let me use it as a stand in. We shall see!

But will be fun to finish this regardless, I was also eyeing the Thunder Lizard...

Imrahil likes this.
  3. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

So, I wanted to share the newst member to my Coatl Collection :) after being shown to me by a friend (she thought it was the original citadel coatl, as it was labeled by the company selling it) and doing some research I found that its a rather rarer sculpt, it is the OOP AD&D Couatl (Coatl). TSR (company who made said mini) was nearly backrupt and was sold off to Wizards of the Coast, a few years later D&D 3e would be released, saving the franchise (To my knowledge, could be wrong)

Its awesome to add this piece of Miniature Hostory to my collection, I'm not one to normally buy already painted minis, but this one really spoke to me.

Need to build my Original Citadel Coatl at some point and do a family shot

May at some point strip it and paint it my own way 20201007_092806.jpg 20201007_092828.jpg 20201007_092849.jpg 20201007_092916.jpg

4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Nice to have :cool:
    This one isn't in a to bad state of painting, great colors.

Grrr, Imrahil

5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Definitely, the paint job is what ultimately sold me on it along with its possible rarity. Very nice colors for sure. This one is smaller thabln the Citadel one it looks like lol

Imrahil likes this.
  6. Imrahil
    Slann

Even smaller o_O wow

Grrr, Imrahil

7. Ryanj4043
    Cold One

Ryanj4043 Well-Known Member

TTRPG history, rare models, good painting. This thread is getting better ever post. Out of curiousity did this come with a base, if so what size. I wonder if it would have matched DnD Monster sizes which, atleast the modern battlematts are 5ft square to 1 inch square.

Imrahil and Sudsinabucket like this.
  8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I really appreciate that :) I try to keep it interesting lol I've also discovered that although I will eventually have a full army to show off in all its glory... Ive discovered I really enjoy painting individual models rather than batches/large armies. I think my armies will look awesome when done, but finding the cool, rare, odd or just whatever model and painting it is much more enjoyable to me. So my hunt for cool, rare and otherwise miniatures begins/continues!

Later this month I will be showing off my scientifically accurate Allosaurus F. Sculpt by AK Rex who is based in the UK, so that's going to be exciting... though not strictly a miniature!

As for the Coatl, it did not come with a traditional base, it is on some sort of base as a natural part of the model, but no game base. Could put it on some sort of smaller base and use it as a marker or something? Not sure what else to use it as other than a show piece/ maybe combining it with my Citadel coatl and make a "Jungle Swarm" or "Wrath of Sotek" Seraphon spell with all my extra small snakes on the base

Imrahil and Ryanj4043 like this.
  9. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Said Allo when it was still in the WIP stage Screenshot_20201007-122405_Instagram.jpg
    Definitely excited to paint my own

Going to be hard to not use as a Dread Saurian, however I will not be adding anything other than paint to it

EFHILT 167, Ryanj4043 and Imrahil like this.
  10. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

Pfft I’ll believe it once I see it..... I don’t give it a month before it’s got gold all over it!!! Hehehe

Man every time I look at this thread there’s something bigger or better coming along!! Keep it up

Cheers

Sudsinabucket and Imrahil like this.
  11. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! Its not totally intended lol but I keep finding cool stuff! I now understand the Back Log problem *looks over shoulder and cries a little*

And, lol we'll see, its a $200+ model to somehow mess up as its one of a kind, limited run type thing.

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  12. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

A small update on my Spirit of the Mountain :)

I'm really taking the Rebirth theme seriously with this one, trying to have it look like there's life energy just coursing through her. Mot sure if thats being conveyed yet, but I definitely think im getting there. Hoping my Teseract Glow will be here soon, thst will be used on more the center areas.

They definitely look good so far next to one another, any C&C is welcome of course!
    20201008_005603.jpg 20201008_005630.jpg 20201008_005539.jpg IMG_20201008_011302_625.jpg

13. Imrahil
    Slann

Very nice colors. He would fit right in with your monster Terratrice ;)

Just now If figured that his head crest-crown-thingy is from the lady carrying the scale of nightmares.
    It fits him rather well:cool:

Grrr, Imrahil

14. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

She would indeed, and perhaps in my homebrew they do somehow ;) lol

And thank you, I thino the colors are definitely coming along nicely, debating if its too much green and yellow and if I need or should add something... but so far I'm happy :)

And yep! I took the crown off of the Scinari Cathallar for 2 reasons:

1. I hate how it looks on the Cathallar

2. Wanted to give this Spirit of the Mountain a more feminine feel as that is her intended gender

All in all, I think I succeeded lol if even just in my own head haha

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  15. Imrahil
    Slann

You definitely have!

Somehow now I can only see a badass dude with his vegan girlfriend :hilarious::hilarious:

Grrr, Imrahil

16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

We really need a laughing emoji lol

That's too funny haha

She is going to look badass with her base and....

Modified weapon:
    20201008_023701.jpg

EFHILT 167 and Imrahil like this.
  17. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Almost done with all these lines...

But wow oh wow! Is it paying off! I love how it is coming together, I also started working on the head a bit, but that's for a different post :p

I added some blue grey (Russ Grey) and browns onto the mountains, breaking up the greens and yellows a bit. I'm still waiting on Teseract Glow & Warp Lightning Green among a few others to be able to do the central sections and the crotch cloth.

Still undecided on the shoulder tips and other still black metal areas and if I'll contine them as yellow (like the thin lines) or a green? Any thoughts are most welcome

Still WIP obviously
    20201008_232428.jpg

18. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Update for the night, time for bed

Did a lot of work on the mountains today along with most of the lines, also worked on her head a bit, but not a lot.

C&C welcome
    20201008_234458.jpg 20201008_234524.jpg 20201008_234626.jpg 20201008_234708.jpg

19. Imrahil
    Slann

Very lovely.
    I like the addition of the blue and brown tones to the mountains. This makes it stand out from the armor, it is not one color-ish anymore.
    Those lines make the leg armor pop nicely.

Great work.

For the Shouldertips it is hard to say... there is a fair bit of yellow already there, but green makes it feel weird because it is part of the outer lines of the armor. Difficult!
    I would rather go with yellow then green. And then maybe make the gems a different color to both so it stands out more.

Grrr, Imrahil

Sudsinabucket likes this.
  20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I was beginning to think Red for Gems, like the first one?

I do think the blues/greys and browns have helped break it up for sure, adds some depth too. Glad I decided to bring those colors back out from the first layers.

Also here is the second waterfall I built:

IMG_20201008_183331_998.jpg 20201008_182425.jpg