1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Batman: Pics, Videos, and Other Awesomeness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bowser, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

6. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

This is actually a really good idea.

[LoR starts searching for bargain Batman suit replicas]

Tk'ya'pyk, Imrahil and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  13. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

HC-BAS-FigureShot.png

I sometimes miss playing heroclix. Super simple, lots of great sculpts, even if a repaint was required sometimes. I mostly went for Batman and DC stuff, but undeniably Marvel stuff was super cool too. May have to figure out which castle mine are in and convert them to a Blood Bowl team.

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

c51.jpg 5aba3640086c6e938b8fdf3d7cc59eb8.png 4567146975_6549944e5c_o.jpg I always wanted this to be read out by Mark Hamill! Cracked me up the first time I read this.

15. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I have finally watched Constantine: City of Demons which was the last animated movie made based on the New 52 series of comic books that I had yet to watch.

I can officially say I liked all of them but I don't like them all equally.

I was expecting it to be campy but it was not. The trailer was misleading. The trailer made it look like Constantine was going to leap into Hell to battle demons and pull an innocent soul out.

The actual movie was about Constantine fighting demons that clawed their way to Earth, specifically Los Angeles. City of Demons is a play on Los Angeles nickname the City of Angels.

It was an R rated cartoon. For the most part I have not have liked R-rated DC cartoons. The first few attempts at this were a little hamfisted but in this case the writers/directors/etc managed to use the gritty violence, swearing, and "adult situations" to enhance the story rather than distract from it.

It was in my wheel house anyway. I like dark and gritty urban fantasy with an animistic cosmology.

This is my rating from best to worst. Just my opinion.

I guess I'm a DC fanboy and I'll watch almost anything they put out (unless it has Amber Heard in it or panders to the CCP).

I would recommend S Tier for even casual DC fans, except maybe Apocalypse War. Apocalypse is the equivalent of Avengers Endgame and it more or less successfully wraps up all the loose ends. If you are a super fan, you should watch the movies in chronological order.

S Tier
    The Flashpoint Paradox,
    Justice League: War
    Justice League vs. Teen Titans
    Justice League Dark
    Justice League Dark: Apocalypse War

A Tier
    Teen Titans the Judas Contract
    Constantine City of Demons
    Batman vs. Robin
    The Death and Return of Superman

B Tier:
    Wonderwoman Bloodlines
    Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

C Tier:
    Son of Batman
    Batman Bad Blood
    Suicide Squad Hell to Pay

EDIT: I'm on the fence whether the bottom three should be low B-Tier or high C-Tier. There are no stinkers in this lot, but these three have no re-watch value in my opinion.

In theory, Throne of Atlantis could be A-Tier but a lot of this treads the same ground of an episode ("The Enemy Below) of Justice League that came out in 2002.

Constantine: City of Demons
    made me think, "This is how you do an expanded universe!"

Warner Brothers is doing a major restructure of the company, I'm betting they are going to hit the reset button on the DC film universe soon. It looks like the Arrowverse TV universe is going to be retired or soft rebooted soon. They may or may not try to tie DC films in with DC shows.

Disney is stubborn. They aren't going to reset the Marvel film universe until they get three or four flops in a row.

City of Demons was unclear chronologically if this movie happened before or after John Constantine joins the Justice League, but it really doesn't matter. Except for maybe Zatanna. It would have made very little difference if other Justice Leaguers were present. With all their might they cannot fight spirits they cannot see.

A hypothetical Marvel expanded universe with Scalenex in charge would have three sub-genres, Street, Global, and Space, the examples below are non-exhaustive.

Street: Spiderman, Daredevil, Blade, Luke Cage

Global: X-Men, Hulk, Captain America, Ironman, Nick Fury, Black Widow, Black Panther

Space: Guardians of the Galaxy, (conditionally) Captain Marvel, Fantastic Four, Thor

Once in a while, characters and plots from the three genres would bleed together, but not often and it should feel like a cameo.

The DC comics are kind of set up this way.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  16. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

I'll have to check those DC movies out. I was always a bigger fan of DC comics than Marvel, but Marvel has been making better movies for a while. It would be nice if their (DCs) quality starts going up, though I do have to say three words: Howard the Duck. Don't get me wrong, it is a cult classic and if you watch it for what it was, the movie is hilarious, but even the Marvel Universe has made some bad movies (albeit the current Universe isn't doing too bad, and Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome).

That said, the first Wonder Woman movie was good, and while others mock it, I actually liked the first Suicide Squad movie. Don't know why, but it amused me for some reason.

Bowser likes this.
  17. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The first suicide squad was okay, and if you went in with low expectations, it was pretty alright. Once I had found out that Will Smith was going to be Deadshot, my expectations were through the floor. So yeah it wasn't too bad. With the second one my friend kept hyping it up. It was slightly better than the first, but still awful. The difference was thay I had a higher expectation, which made it feel worse.

Agreed First Wonder Woman was pretty decent, 1984 however was back to terrible. Batman vs Superman, meh. Justice League, ugh. Haven't bothered with Aquaman.

If the DC Cinematic universe got the same level of care, and no studio interference like they have with the DC animated universe, they could have made a ton of money and had a decent franchise.

Most of the animated series and movies are solid. Young Justice, is amazing. Teen titans was a great cartoon. Titans the tv show? Awful.

Tk'ya'pyk and Scalenex like this.
  18. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Wouldn't know, haven't seen most of those, or the second Suicide Squad movie. I kind of want to see the Harley Quinn movie one of these days, but I'm not in a hurry. I am a little bummed that Doom Patrol got locked to only one streaming service though. That was my favorite comic book series when I was in college - I still have a pile of old issues and compilation volumes.

Bowser likes this.
  19. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I agree with most of what Bowser said. I liked Aquaman 1 a fair bit. I never bothered to watched either Suicide Squad live action movie. I just cannot get invested in the bad guys.

I trudged through all of season 1 of Titans, but I quit two or three episodes into season 2. I just couldn't take it anymore. Seriously, what is with the blue noir tint? The exotic green noir tint worked for the Matrix movies, but there is zero reason for a blue tint unless you are under the sea. Either make the coloration bright and cheery or go with an old school shadowy noir filter, but blue is a mahrlect eye sore.

In college I took a couple electives in film. Not enough to give me any real expertise, but enough to make very opinionated about unusual cinematic choices.

Young Justice is pretty much the sole reason I subscribe to HBO max. The current season in progress, season 4, is taking a somewhat annoying woke turn, but the wokeness is not interfering with the story. And in all the woke cases, they are altering the sexuality of minor side characters. I guess, Atlantis is very liberated sexually. If a fish dude wants to be in a thruple, I guess I don't have a problem.

One of the characters chose a new pronoun BUT she/they is literally a formerly sexless alien robot consciousness now residing in a dead woman's human body, so it kind of makes that she/they is going through a period of confusion.

Still, I wish they wouldn't have any SJW bullcrap at all.

I will give them credit that they made Earth actually better than New Genesis, Apocalips, and Mars all of which have institutionalized racism of sorts that Earth has largely outgrown.

Bowser likes this.
  20. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Young Justice is fantastic. I haven't seen any of the new season as of yet, as you said one streaming service, but it's always been about inclusion, and dealing with issues. I have no reason to care about a character's sexuality or preferences as long as the characters is written well, and not a one note pony. For the most part the characters in Young Justice have been written incredibly well.

I am glad they haven't tried to do live action with this, or Batman Beyond, because until the studio figures out that they need a good script, the right actors, and producers who care about the project, it will absolutely be terrible.