1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. The Best Monstrous Infantry unit in all of Warhammer

Discussion in 'Other Armies Discussion' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

What's that? You wanted more? Well, I have another one up and ready!

@Killer Angel this time both units have great weapons, so neither has the ASL disadvantage. A roving band of Ironguts are pillaging an ancient temple, when out of some jungle pools burst a regiment of Kroxigors aiming to stop the desecration of the Old Ones' shrine. There's only one thing left to do... FIIIIIIIIGHT!

Key rules in play:
    Kroxigors: Great Weapons, Cold-blooded, Predatory Fighter, Scaly Skin (4+)
    Ironguts: Great Weapons, Standard of Discipline (+1 Leadership)
    Kroxigors vs Ironguts.PNG

A close win for the Ogres here! The Ironguts' cheaper points cost helped them out greatly here, as they were able to fit in an extra model to tip the balance in the numbers game - even if they hadn't had their Magic Standard they would have won this fight. However, this bout was won by a pretty close margin, with only a single healthy Ogre and one on a single wound remaining left standing - these could easily be swamped by a Saurus unit and butchered in the following turn in an actual game. Nevertheless, a victory is still a victory, no matter how small.

Another update to the scoreboard is required:
    Round 12.PNG

Things get a bit more entertaining when one or more of the combatants have high Leadership, Unbreakable and/or some special rule that helps them stay in the fight, I wonder how long we can keep this up?

Thoughts? Concerns? Discussion!!!

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Would the Minotaurs have struck first if the Ushabti had AHW?

Otherwise, the clincher here is whoever goes second dies. Good example of the pros and cons of the GW option.

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

They'd strike at the same time, as both have Initative 3. The Ushabti would outnumber the Minotaurs, but the Minotaurs have Strength 5. Let's give that a run in fact:
    Minotaurs vs Ushabti 2.PNG

The Minotaurs still win, but the Ushabti manage to inflict a few more wounds in the second round due to preserving their extra attacks in the front rank, allowing them to kill 2 Minotaurs at once in that round and reduce their attacks in the third round even with Bloodgreed. In the final round they also manage to get a round of attacks off before the Minotaurs wipe them out, meaning the Minotaurs end up having one less model at the end. Nevertheless, it's still a victory for them.

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I cannot be happy when kroxigors die.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

GWs are wasted on units without significant armour.

Kroxigors have to pay a points premium for their S7 attacks, which end up being no better than the Ironguts S6. The Ironguts had the perfect strength to wound the Kroxigors on 2's and fully negate their armour. The Kroxigors' strength 7 was overkill against T4 and heavy armour... hence wasted points... hence a model disadvantage... hence losing the contest.

6. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

So, after a half year of no battle analysis you managed to kill both Ushabtis and Kroxigors one after the other.
    Not good, not good. :p

What are the benefits of the Great Weapon? higher Strength? +n to hit? something else..
    Right now I can't see any reason why you would ever pick a GW.

Help out the noob of the 8th

Grrr, Imrahil

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

GW gives +2 strenght. That alone pushes a 4+ save to a 6+.
    However, to afford ASL, you need good protection (or abysmal initiative to start with)

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Or, in the case of Elves, Always Strikes First to counter Always Strikes Last, and a good base Initiative to make sure you still strike before most foes :rolleyes:

Anyway, let's have another fight! This time around, a load of Ogre Bulls pillaging the frozen north are ambushed by horrifying Skin Wolves...

Key rules in play:
    Skin Wolves: Mark of Slaanesh (Always Strikes First), Regeneration (5+), Frenzy
    Ogre Bulls: Additional Hand Weapons
    upload_2022-5-5_17-16-49.png

Aaand our streak of long fights comes to a close, with the Skin Wolves' higher Initiative and Always Strikes First knocking the Ogres for six, killing two and badly mauling a third, and their Regeneration helping weather the storm of returning blows from the Bull unit. The Ogres' greater numbers keeps them in the fight for an extra round thanks to Steadfast, but a similarly brutal second round takes out the rest of their back rank, sending them packing despite standard and redeeming the Skin Wolves for their silly loss against the Crypt Horrors.

Let's add this to the scoreboard:
    Round 13.PNG

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Where are the Skin Wolves from again? They're not actually 8th Edition right?

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I describe the source of the more "unusual" entries here:

Monstrous Arcanum was released by Forge World during 8th edition and designed for play in 8th edition.

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

This. Though the Skin Wolves aren’t usable in normal games, they can be taken by any army in a Storm of Magic game that allows the Monstrous Arcanum rules, which is why I have included them in this tournament. The Fimir Warriors, Bile Trolls and K’daai Fireborn can be found there too, and the Fenbeasts are from Storm of Magic. I wanted to compare every single official Monstrous Infantry unit usable in the game, whether from specific army books or not.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I'll find a copy of this. It's missing from my 8th edition paraphernalia.

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Hope your wallet will survive the ridiculous EBay prices offered for copies of them :inpain:

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

@Lizards of Renown owns a large amount of pdf material

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

As do I, that's how I found a copy of it. I assumed he was going to get a physical copy, but PDFs are great, in large part because they're free

16. Charlemagne
    Skink

Charlemagne Member

I don’t know if you’re in the states but I’ve seen copies pop up at half price books for about $30 from time to time.

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

[​IMG]

After an inexcusably long period of absence, I felt the time was right to have another session of Monstrous Infantry beating the crap out of each other.

Today, some Maneaters on their travels encounter some stinking Bile Trolls emerging from the swamp dead ahead of them...

Key Rules in play:
    Maneaters: Poisoned Attacks, Stubborn (both from Been There, Done That), Additional Hand Weapons, War Banner (+1 Combat Res)
    Bile Trolls: Mark of Nurgle, Poisoned Attacks, Regeneration (5+), Infected Vomit
    upload_2022-3-28_10-48-17.png

And once again we have a short but decisive fight, which will please our resident Ogre Tyrants @Lizards of Renown and @Charlemagne immensely! Funnily enough the combatants in this bout were roughly equal in damage output, both being able to inflict 5 wounds on the other and killing off a model, but the Ogres were able to swing the combat into their favour with their Magic Banner, and if there's one thing that Trolls of any kind are awful at, it's Leadership tests. The Infected Vomit could have been of use to the Bile Trolls here, as it has the Multiple Wounds (D3) special rule, but the number of wounds inflicted for each of the two successful wounds inflicted would have averaged out at 2, slightly less damage than what they were able to inflict in close combat. If the two units had been fighting in a line of 1 rank, this would have been a potent weapon to bring out against the Ogres, and would have inflicted 6 wounds on average which would have won the combat even with the Ogres' combat res bonus, but fielding a Monstrous Infantry unit in that manner would make the unit very unwieldy to manoeuvre and is rarely seen on Warhammer battlefields, whereas the 3-wide configuration is standard practice for fielding Monstrous Infantry. Thus I'm handing the win to the Maneaters.

Let us update the scoreboard:
    upload_2022-3-28_10-49-28.png
    That bumps the Maneaters up to joint First Place with the Chaos Trolls on 4 points apiece, while the Bile Trolls join the Ogre Bulls in joint Last Place at -4 points each.

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Makes the time I took to create my Lore of Metal deep dive look like a speed run! ;)

Welcome back!

Bile Trolls stink when compared to ordinary trolls. I had never previously noticed how screwed up their Vomit attacks were, not being able to make use of supporting attacks like ordinary trolls can. Can't believe they cost nearly twice as much as regular trolls.

Curious to see how they end up faring in the tourney.

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Thank you good sir, I should be able to make more regular contributions to this thread now, so hold on to your top hat :D

Did you mean to include a Nurgle pun there? :p

They do have an extra wound apiece, +1 Toughness and Mark of Nurgle, but as you say, inferior vomit attacks, a reduced Weapon Skill and a reduced Regeneration save. That along with the existing disadvantages of standard Trolls - terrible Initiative, below-average Leadership, reliance on Regeneration and, in non-combat situations, Stupidity - all for almost double the points cost, certainly stops their advantages from really counting. I'll be interested to see if the other current losers - Kroxigors, Ushabti and Ogre Bulls - can use them to get a win and stop themselves from falling to last place.

20. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Welcome back.

Glad to see the Maneaters coming out on stop. They are a real funny unit, as they can have different weapons per model and the additional abilities makes them very interesting. (Not the least of which is my favourite with Scouts! I always imagine them pretending to be trees and shuffling slowly into position.)

AHW, Stubborn and Poisoned attacks is a good loadout for large, low-armour enemies which, on a cursory look, is what we have on the Monstruous infantry loadout so I'm predicting they will do quite well for themselves until they hit a high initiative opponent and then there will be trouble.