1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The GREAT 40k thread

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Killer Angel, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Tch, Imperial Guard didn't need any of this. These rebooted kits were completely unnecessary, the existing ones were fine. In fact I'm feeling sorry right now for my Uncle who has started collecting them and will likely have to contend with paying an extra £20+ per box when these remade sets come out.

That Warhammer Day preview was pretty crap all in all, just more glorification of pointless remade Guard kits, more World Eaters which nobody should care about, Failbaddon planning another scheme which will likely fall on its face, and what is likely to be Dark Mechanicus which is yet another dull chaosification of an Imperial faction.

The only thing decent was the new Necron Kill Team, and even it I believe is reusing the existing Cryptek with Canoptek Cloak model, though I'm interested in the idea of these new Cryptek retinues, with Immortal and Deathmark bodyguards and the new concept of Apprenteks, like the Royal Courts for Phaetons/Overlords in 5th Edition (I forget whether they made a comeback in 9th).

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yep, that's why i would have like 300% more new sets for different guards regiments. Tallarn, Catachan, Vostroyans... anything else, really.

This is nice looking but boring and pointless

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Not Catachans, they also have decent plastic kits alongside Cadians and don't need revamps, but the other regiments you mentioned are valid

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

5. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

An interesting concept, but it would have to be a Chapter that's not the nancy-boy Blood Angels to appeal to me. A Space Wolf one would be fun.

Though it would be even better if it was a Tyranid monster or Necron vehicle instead ;)

Imrahil likes this.
  7. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

I have to admit, more Death Corps, or perhaps the Armageddon Steel Legions would have been nice as well. That said, while I do not like the new Sentinel sculpt, I am looking forward to converting the Kasrkin (not a fan of the Tempestus Scion minis) and I really want those new artillery pieces. My Skaviir Dominion (totally-not-IG-Skaven-in-space-but-totally-IG) are all about the field artillery.

Killer Angel likes this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Funny how the more interesting thing is the new pieces, isn't it?
    I don't see many people excited about the resculpt of existing cadian models.

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  9. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

It doesn't help that it's been barely a year or two since GW amended the previous Cadian infantry kit to include special weapons and additional heads.

In addition to that, Cadians getting all the attention is a self-fulfilling prophecy for Imperial Guard miniatures, much as it is for 40k in general with Space Marines getting all the miniatures support while other factions were barely fed crumbs until recently. Sales are much higher for Cadian-themed kits than they are for just about everything else in the Imperial Guard range (model pricing and production runs have a lot to do with it, with nearly every other official Regiment type being stuck in metal, finecast, or FW resin limbo), and so GW will continue to put out more Cadian-themed kits knowing that they'll sell well by proxy at the expense of everything else.

And before anyone brings up 3rd-party alternatives, that's a subject that's perhaps more esoteric than a lot of people think, especially since GW isn't particularly fond of advertising the wares of other companies these days. Few people outside of seasoned hobby veterans will go the extra mile anyway, seeing as GW really wants to push themselves as being the one-stop shop for all things Warhammer, and a lot of newcomers and casual players fall for that.

10. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Alas, true. I just convert my IG minis out of Skaven bits and whatever other handy 40K/Necromunda/Warcry/Fantasy/Whatever minis I think will look cool. The Skaviir Dominion does not have specific uniforms, so why should my army? :D

11. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

I have to say something about the new Rogal Dorn tank. It will not be a popular comment. GW made it to sell new kits. I am a certified tread-head. Owned an Armored Company and an Artillery Company (both long since sold to pay bills). The Imperial Guard, which has long been my primary 40K army, DOES NOT NEED A NEW TANK. We have plenty. I would rather have alternate sculpts for normal guardsmen, those new Rough Riders, and updates on older sculpts that actually need to be refreshed.

Oh - and a Command Leviathan model as a Lord of War for the guard. :D

12. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

I don't blame you. As comical as the thing is in resembling a Jumbo M4 Sherman even more than the Leman Russ (complete with the turret heavy stubber mount that I can only presume is the way it is because the Ma Deuce scene from Fury was on the mind of the designer at the time), I'm struggling to think of a role for it that can't just be overridden by a Malcador or Macharius instead.

My own personal take on it is that it's a pointless new vehicle in a game edition where vehicles are little more than glorified infantry at the best of times, and paper thin at worst.

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

ohhh, that would be nice!

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Lately i'm working on a "creations of Bile" project.

I want to go all in into chaos mode, as i don't like the CSM concept as "space marines, but with spikes". I wanna give them a twisted look ( a thing that only death guards have).
    What's better than Fabius Bile, the mad apothecary, the 40k evil dr. Frankenstein?

the project is really going in the right direction.

As shown in another thread, Raptors fly and strike from above, but dorsal reactors is the past.
    Implanted wings are the future.

Raptors WIP 2.jpg

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

And now, another unit. Chosen.

Chosen are basically veteran CSM, so they are glorified marines with better shooting weapons and better combat skills.
    Visually they are nothing exceptional. Well, yes, they are cool, but they are exactly what i don't like about CSM. marines with spikes

[​IMG]

So, mine will be Bile's Chosen, made in Bile's style... and veteran marines that are good and skilled, are gifted by Bile with additional, radical surgery.

6 of these guys were laying in my home since a couple of years (a gift). Outdated models, waiting for something to happen.

Chosen 1.jpg

...and since i also have a lot of sprues and bits...

Chosen 2.jpg

let the surgery begins!!!!

Chosen 3-1.jpg

Chosen 3-2.jpg

Chosen 3-3.jpg

Chosen 3-4.jpg

Chosen 3-5.jpg

Chosen 3.jpg

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Nice to see those great little Easy-to-Build-before-it-was-a-thing boxes getting some love, though I don't see how they differ from Possessed I do, as they have missile weapons when Possessed don't, but just curious as to why you didn't use Possessed, specifically the older, more affordable kit rather than the price-hike new one, and give them spare Chaos Marine weapons.

Also seeing them on the false 32mm bases rather than the proper 25mm ones is saddening.

Also I'm concerned about this:
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/arks-of-omen/

Planned lore changes on this magnitude always herald a new edition of whatever game they are for. Don't say pointless 10th Edition will be coming next year when it should be Warhammer: The Old World...

Killer Angel likes this.
  17. Killer Angel
    Slann

yep, 10th edition is coming.
    There is really no need for it, especially now that the whole scene is coming to a nice balance and the majority of codexes has been (or is going to be) released.

oh wait, that's exactly the reason why GW would want a new edition... :meh:

18. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

...you're not wrong.

19. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Anybody else feel like the new Necromunda vehicle looks like an Admech Scorpius on tracks?

4p1xlXdASrwpvxu8.jpg

99120116023_SkorpiusDistintegrator01.jpg

Or is it just the color that triggered this?

Grrr, !mrahil

20. Killer Angel
    Slann

the color helps, but the design is indeed similar.

I like it, very stubby.