1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog The Jade Host: Mayan Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Warden, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

It has been sometime since I have last been in this blog... but that being said I painted some lizardmen-adjacent models this week in the form of some warbeasts for my Gatormen army! (Privateer Press- Hordes)

warden20220517_gatormen warbeasts.jpg

Paintjob was suuuuper easy, just basecoats and a wash. Might do a matte-varnish on the turtle as he is a bit too shiny.

The Bull-Snapper gatorbeast:

warden20220517_gatormen bull snapper.jpg

The Ironback Spitter (snapping turtle with attitude):

warden20220517_gatormen ironback spitter 1.jpg

warden20220517_gatormen ironback spitter 2.jpg

Going through this blog again makes me want to do more terrain... so many projects!

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

These are great paint jobs @Warden

3. VikingRage
    Razordon

VikingRage Well-Known Member

Seeing this picture reminds me so much of playing Tekumel: Empire of the Petal Throne. Happy memories!

Warden likes this.
  4. VikingRage
    Razordon

Do you know who the artist is who sculpted the Ironback Spitter? I feel like I recognize the style.

Warden likes this.
  5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Never heard of this game before; looks like it had a lot of inspiration taken from Mayan and other ancient cultural history?

I am not sure who the specific sculptor is sadly, but the company is Privateer Press, from their Hordes line.

VikingRage and Imrahil like this.
  6. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

The time has come!

warden20230501_dilo WIP.jpg

This mini has been sitting in my pile of unpainted minis for too long, and I am going to use the Feathered Serpent friendly competition posted by @Killer Angel as inspiration to finally get this dude complete.

He was primed black and painted some sloppy ugly green prior to this, with no base and an even worse painted rider. I am starting over, so far with some blue primer and two more layers of drybrush-esque paint he is edging closer to the green I am looking for.

Only got 10 more days, and with only 3 days set aside for paint nights, time is limited! o_O

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I approve :D

Imrahil, Warden and Explodingzeb like this.
  8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

The work continues... the dino's skin is nearly complete. More details are needed... but I love the color!

warden20230503_dilo WIP.jpg

9. VikingRage
    Razordon

Warden, where did you get that Dilophosaurus!? (Looking great btw!)

Warden likes this.
  10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I bought the 3D print from a seller on Etsy. Not sure what the seller's name was anymore, but according to my notes the model is called "Ezocamtl on Dilophosaurus." It is from Lost Kingdom Miniatures (link to their STLs) and their array of epic Lizardmen designs, a lot of it is very Mayan/Mesoamerican in style. I like their chameleon skinks too, and I have one with a bow I haven't finished painting yet either. I will probably get a few more things from their line in the future, a lot of their stuff is really tempting.

And thanks!

11. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

The dilophasaurus and his rider are complete!

warden20230509_dilo WIP.jpg

I need to take some better pictures in the morning after I add some foilage to his base, but he is done. Need to decide on a good Mayan name for him too.

12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

My entry for the April/May Feathered Serpent Competition is complete!

warden20230510_dilo 05.jpg

I have decided to name him Chan K'awiil, scar-veteran of the city state of Mutal.

I wanted to add shrubbery to his base... however all of my jungle stuff is in storage, to include my terrain collection. So no fancy backdrops today :(

warden20230510_dilo 04.jpg

I am happy how he turned out, way brighter than I intended.

The 3D print I received had a lot of defections, to include the dilo's teeth, the entire rider's face, and both of their neck braces and a few other spots there should be Mesoamerican-esque details present on the model. The entire spear was a terrible print too, so I added a metal rod and a leftover bit from the temple guard.

warden20230510_dilo 01.jpg
    I have decided to name his steel Hunraqan

warden20230510_dilo 06.jpg

Neck frill!

warden20230510_dilo 07.jpg

warden20230510_dilo 08.jpg
    It was interesting taking a different approach to my past Lizardmen. The sculpt did me no favors, and neither did my lumbering painting style, but I like how he turned out.

warden20230510_dilo 10.jpg

warden20230510_dilo 11.jpg

Magnetized for easier storage!

warden20230510_dilo 12.jpg

I hope to revisit him at a future date to add better jungle plants to his base, but now he will have to be satisfied trudging through the mud.