1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The never-ending battle against woke Hollywood and SJW infused entertainment media [trigger warning]

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Gina Corano said something far less offensive than what Whoopi Goldberg said. Gina got unpersoned, Whoopi got a slap on the wrist.

Though I guess one really shouldn't look for the View to be fair or consistent.

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

3. Scalenex
    Slann

I don't have a problem with this one. Robin Hood is in the public domain and there are some WEIRD interpretations of Robin Hood out there. Most fail...quite spectacularly. Whether they are woke or not but once in a while you get a gem. The legend of Robin Hood can essentially survive a thousand bad interpretations.

I wish more things were in the public domain, but Disney has it's boot on the throat of the public domain. Nothing younger than Mickey Mouse is entering public domain. Nothing.

But that's not directly related to wokeness other than Disney is being an evil corporation.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

welp R.I.P lord of the rings the rings of power.
    we have an elf
    [​IMG]

a Dwarf Queen
    [​IMG]

Isulduers sister

[​IMG]

Elrond and Galadriel (to be clear Elrond was already married with kids at this point in the story)
    [​IMG]

and a new Elf Human romance. spicy!
    [​IMG]

what ever hope i had for this evaporated. oh well, lets hope this crashes hard enough that we can use it as yet another arrow in our quiver of DON'T DO THIS HOLLYWOOD!

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

At the end of the day, this simply isn't Lord of the Rings. LOTR is and forever will be the work of J.R.R. Tolkien. It is the world and characters that he created. This is not his work. This isn't even trying to due justice to the work whose name it tries to profit off of. They can buy the rights to the LOTR property and stamp the LOTR name on it, but that doesn't make it real LOTR. Just like the ST isn't real Star Wars.

The LOTR trilogy was a masterpiece. Faithful in every way to the source material. The Hobbit trilogy was a cash grab and was a significant drop in quality as compared to the LOTR trilogy that came before it. It was simply stretched out too thin and loaded with filler. This new Amazon series however will be a complete bastardization of Tolkien's work. Your goal is either story telling or political propaganda... they have chosen the later.

6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

on top of that it just looks really really bad/cheap. the wooden breastplate looks like foam board. why is the "dwarf" wearing a muslin night gown in the mountains? why does she look nothing like a dwarf(where is the beard amazon!)? why does she have finger paint on her hands? what the #$%@ is wrong with Elronds hair?!? this version makes Hugo weaving look good.

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yep. This is generic modern fantasy "inspired by LotR". with just some names as only connection to the original material.

I have zero interest in this, if not to see how far they want to dig themselves.

8. Scalenex
    Slann

LOTR not quite the same as Star Wars. George Lucas chose to sell Star Wars to Disney.

JR Tolkien has been long dead. His son died early in 2020 and he faithfully tried to preserve and improve his father's legacy. He had some oversight on Peter Jackson's LOTR movies which is part of the reason they turned out pretty good.

Hypothetically, if Disney had not throttled the public domain, Lord of the Rings would have entered the public domain in the early 1990s. If everyone had a right to slap the LOTR label on things, then the sucky reimagining would sink and the good ones would float.

Also, hypothetically if the original 56 year public domain rule was in place, George Lucas would not have been able to sell the Star Wars IP for the price Disney paid for it, so he probably would have not sold it to Disney and the Disney trilogy would never happen. I believe returning the public domain law to the original (or even boosting it to 70 but never boosting it beyond 70) would mitigate a lot of the problem of shitty remakes.

Back to LOTR. We are talking about Amazon. I am rooting for them to fail. The Amazon brass are CCP collaborators above and beyond the "typical" thing mega corporations do of turning a blind eye to the CCP's sins, Amazon actively helps signal boost the CCP's propaganda.

On a less political note. I haven't seen Amazon Prime create much that I actually liked, except for the live action remake of the Tick which they cancelled early. For a while the Tick was the only reason I was on Amazon Prime.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    Kilvakar and Erta Wanderer like this.
  9. Scalenex
    Slann

What the mahrlect Disney!

As the top comment on the Youtube video says.

"Resurrecting Futurama without John DiMaggio is like resurrecting Star Wars and making Mark Hammil play a whiny loser version of Luke. Oh...wait..."

Futurama had a good finale, more than one good finale, even if DiMaggio was included I would be against Disney trying to reanimate Futurama's corpse. I don't trust Disney with something cool and edgy.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Anyone else see the resemblance to Don Lemon?

Kilvakar and Scalenex like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

well @#$%

Kilvakar likes this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

14. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

lol no it fucking wasn't. aragorn's reluctant king bullshit in the movies is a completely modern, hollywood trope that didn't exist in the books at all.

It's okay to modernize something as long as it doesnt involve making black dwarves. Dont worry, i can read between the lines hahahaha.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You'd be hard pressed to name many examples of big movies that were more faithful to their source material. :cool:

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  16. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Just going off what you said my dude. "faithful in every way to the source material."

I think presenting that argument, while also railing against the "woke" nature of the new show (i can assume because the 'wokeness' isn't faithful to the source material) comes across a little hypocritical.

17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I cannot think of one offhand that beats the adaptation of LotR. Not even close.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  18. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

no country for old men.

Maybe not beats, but dialogue is literally ripped word for word from the book.

I dont think lotr is an unfaithful (or bad) adaption. I just dont think its "faithful in every way" because its just straight up not. There's nothing wrong with that, but its not. IMO messing with the motivations of one of the most pivotal characters in the story is a pretty massive modernization of the source material.

Which begs the question of why is this type of modernization okay but others arent? People draw their line at different places, i'd just be curious what personal opinions are the driving force behind where anyone happens to draw that line.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

LOTR is celebrated for that very reason; I'm not presenting a fringe theory here. Is your issue with the wording "every way"? I think the argument I presented was pretty easy to follow and understand. Especially as...
    o_O

But if you're so adamantly against my argument, rather than labelling it as hypocritical, why don't you back up your claim...
    There may be a few, no doubt, but name me ten major movies that have done a better job at being faithful to the novel from which they were adapted. You've named No Country for Old Men, that leaves you with 9.

Or if that doesn't fit your fancy, do a little bit of Google work and you'll see that LOTR is consistently credited with being an exceptionally faithful telling of the story created by Tolkien.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  20. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Fucking what? I have 0 problems with the LOTR adaption. Zero. Not a single one. You said it was faithful in every way. Its not. It fundamentally changes the motivations of one of the main characters and their journey. That's a massive, massive modernization that was specifically used to appeal to modern hollywood audiences.

I have 0 problem with that. You seem to have a problem with adaptions modernizing the source material (hence this whole garbage heap of a thread)... except when you dont. So that, naturally, raises questions as to where and why you draw the line you do.

"name me 10 movies" as if that has literally anything to do with anything i said.

edit: just to be clear, this was my claim in little words. LOTR is not faithful in literally "every way" and used smart modernizations to create a wonderful series of movies.

I never once stated any problem with LOTR or modernizing source material. Project more dude.

Final edit: the biggest problem with modern hollywood entertainment is shitty writing and the idea that anything, "woke" themes, big name actors, anything, will make up for shitty, vapid, brain dead writing.

the new lotr show will be good or bad because of its writing. it could be the most faithful adaption on the planet. Every dwarf could be a little white bearded furball and it would still suck ass if the writing blows.