1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The never-ending battle against woke Hollywood and SJW infused entertainment media [trigger warning]

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Oct 14, 2021.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Ah, i have no idea.
    The big mistake / unjustice was made in the beginning.
    To still stand with a proven liar would surely reinforce their awful position and would backfire even more. So yes, there’s a chance they will reconnect the movie.
    But they need to make an official statement if they want to hope in some good result.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It will be interesting to see. At this point, we'd have to imagine that she is a major financial liability for any project she is attached to (at least in the short term).

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

This is a little more academic than the stuff on this thread, but Thomas Sowell just completed part 8 of 8 of his biography of Karl Marx. Here is the full playlist, it's approximately 45 minutes long.

I think it's worth a listen, there is a lot of parallels to modern woke movements which I guess could be considered neo-Marxist.

I think Warner Brothers should eat the $50-100 million and recast Mera and reshoot those scenes. Ideally with Emilia Clark but literally any attractive actress in a red wig will suffice.

At this point it would be cheaper than running with Amber Heard (in which case you get a boycott) or flat out deleting the scenes (in which case the movie will have holes in it and get bad reviews and thus depressed turnout).

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

If he'd just finish Thrones off with 'The Winds of Winter', perhaps people would actually care about his other projects...

Scalenex and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  7. Scalenex
    Slann

I concur. Between George R. Martin refusing to work on his next book and HBO dropping the ball with the last two seasons of the show, I am not in a position to care for a GoT prequel.

I saw Top Gun: Maverick. I was reasonably entertained and got my money's worth. I don't know if it has re-watch value. I don't think this movie would be so riveting if it wasn't in a theater.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

9. Scalenex
    Slann

Hmmm, Overlord DVD seems to think that the unceremonious firing of Rice is a sign of Chapek belatedly fighting against woke culture.

Clownfish TV seems to think that the unceremonious firing of Rice is a sign that Chapek is doubling down on woke culture.

Both have evidence to make their hypotheses.

Anyway I found this short video amusing.

I'm not very optimistic that these new projects will be good or even watchable. I'm guessing just by dumb luck one or two of these shows or movies will be good but I'm not watching any of this until it's been vetted by critics I trust.

I was thinking about giving Netflix another chance then they renewed Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe contract....

10. Scalenex
    Slann

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. Scalenex
    Slann

The Flash movie was already made and Warner spent roughly $200 million on it.

Warner Brothers has three options, and they all suck regarding Ezra Miller's Flash movie.

1) They can release it in the theaters normally
    2) They an quietly dump it onto HBO max
    3) They can re-shoot the entire thing with a new star.

They were planning to have the Flash movie to set the ground work for a DC film multiverse with teasers for a whole connected franchise of movies.

If they don't do option 3, this franchise has zero chance of success. If they don't do option 1, they have to eat $200 million dollars.

I don't know what I'd do if I was sitting in a corporate office suite. I do know I'm not going to pay money to see this. Whereas I actively dislike Amber Heard, I mostly pity Ezra Miller. Still I don't want to look at Ezra Miller's face for two hours straight and while Ezra wasn't terrible in the Justice League movie, even before Ezra became controversial, I thought Ezra was the second weakest actor in the troop making the Flash less compelling than Wonderwoman, Superman, Cyborg, Batman and Aquaman.

The weakest character in Justice League was Steppenwulf and this sunk the movie. A super hero movie is only as strong as its villain.

It looks likely they are planning to release the movie in theaters and I am planning not to watch it. I would love to know how much of Ezra's mental instability was known to WB before they started filming this movie.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

15. Scalenex
    Slann

I am found of the saying that pessimists are happier people because 90% of the time they are right and 10% of the time they are pleasantly surprised.

I generally assume that Disney+ shows are going to be garbage, and 90% of the time I'm right and 10% of the time it's either The Mandalorian or the Ducktales reboot.

Hope only leads to pain. I had some hope for X-Men '97. Now that hope is dead as I learned about how they planning to present the X-Men.

And my response was predictable.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

No chance that we get a seamless transition from the classic series. I had already heard rumblings that they were going to wokify it for the "modern world".

That sounds absolutely awful.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

18. Scalenex
    Slann

The reviewers I trust say Thor: Love and Thunder is not that good. With the shill critics the movie is slipping a little bit. The Rotten Tomatoes is slipping a little bit. The box office revenue is slipping a little bit compared to previous Marvel movies with old and beloved characters.

But Thor: Love and Thunder is far from a flop.

It's not like The Eternals, or Lightyear, or Morbius (Morbius was not woke, but it did suck in the wrong ways for a vampire movie).

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

This surprises me given that it appears to be more woke than any of those other three. Marvel fans must have an extreme tolerance to pain if they are still willing to pay money to see a film that looks so clearly and obviously woke, just because it has the Marvel tag on it.

Scalenex likes this.
  20. Scalenex
    Slann

In my opinion you are half right. They are not blindly following the Marvel tag per se, otherwise the Eternals and all the Disney+ shows would have done better. Every phase 4 attempt to elevate a new character has either underperformed or flopped outright. New directors have had issues too. I believe Thor 4 did as well as it did because old school Marvel fans are chasing memberberries.

Thor: Love and Thunder is based entirely on fan favorite characters. Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, and the entire cast of Guardians of the Galaxy and a generally well-liked director.

In my opinion, I think Marvel movies have too much over saturation of jokes, but that is just my opinion. The general audience seems to like heavy joke saturation. If I was in marketing and my wages were based on box office returns, not artistic merit, I would green light a joke saturated script.

I like Hemsworth a lot, I thought about going to see this movie, but I waited to wait to see what Critical Drinker said first.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022