1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW THE OLD WORLD - Poll: Will TOW be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Nov 22, 2019.

?

How confident are you that TOW will be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

1. 0 - No chance. We're getting something completely different.

2. 1

3. 2 - Very unlikely

4. 3

5. 4

6. 5 - 50/50. It could either way

7. 6

8. 7

9. 8 - Probably

10. 9

11. 10 - 100% sure. The game will be a natural edition update of 8th.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

BrotherSutek Well-Known Member

I am carefully hopeful of a return to a Golden Age with minor things such as templates returning. Things like Reactions keep me leery of being too hopeful but as long as Command points and detachments stay away I'll give it a chance. I just want to see a decent Tomb Kings list and my desperate secret hope of Dogs of War.

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

The Reactions mechanic is curious. I wonder if it might actually improve Fantasy given it is something that is customisable for the different factions and can thus make them more distinct (something I would say 8th cut back on) and could make the turn sequence less predictable, but then Horus Heresy has no ranks or flanks, like AoS and 40K, and such a mechanic fits better in a sci-fi setting with squads of freely-moving troops, so GW may avoid including the mechanic if it doesn't fit with rank-and-flank Fantasy.

I agree in that I certainly don't want anything to do with Detachments, Stratagems, Formations, Battalions, 'Grand Strategy' or any crap like that appearing in TOW, because those mechanics just dictate how you should build your list and/or play the game. The great thing was about pre-End Times Fantasy and pre-7th 40K was that there was no such restrictions, you could build any army you wished so long as you followed the army list-building rules (which were designed to enforce a rough balance) and nothing forced you to play your army a specific way or encouraged you to take this combo of units over anything else. Command Points might be interesting for a rank-and-flank strategy game in that they could be used to order units to move and shoot and such like, but not as buff-generators as they are implemented as in 40K and AoS.

I certainly don't see why they wouldn't include Tomb Kings, given GW made two Settra memes to celebrate the announcement of the game, that I'm sure there are some Tomb King Easter Eggs on some of the maps they've shown and that Tomb Kings are in Warhammer II: Total War. I also hope they give them a bit more respect in TOW now that they realise how much they upset people by killing them off.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Looks like somebody is beginning to sound excited at the prospect of the new TOW game.

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Well I'm trying not to get too excited yet in case GW lets me down once again, but I do think there's potential, particularly as Blast Templates and Scatter (and hopefully Artillery) dice will return and that GW have already said it's intended to be 9th Edition Fantasy. All we can do is hope that that potential is realised.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I'm definitively on the fence until I see a rulebook. Then we'll see how the army lists/rules work out. Until then I'm not even thinking about it.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Personally I have very little interest in it. We'll see if that changes over time, but as of this moment, I don't see myself jumping on board unless it is nothing short of spectacular.

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

that tank is really gorgeous

8. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

Note I said "Decent " list. I assume they will bring them back in some form, I just worry what form it will be. Despite the nice models the 8th edition book was such a disappointment and killed a lot of my excfor 8th edition. The fact that I mostly played Greenskins, Skaven and Empire that edition is telling. I don't want the best book but I want a balanced one like the 6th edition book was. Yes I still gush about it after all these years.;)

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Yes.

And I'm sure you're with me on the BRB as well.

@NIGHTBRINGER and I share the same viewpoint as we have the 8th which none of these GW money-mongerers can take away from us.

I already don't get to play that much and so the rules will have to be PRETTY good for me to re-learn a rule set and then deal with the inevitable constant updates.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Agreed. I have no interest in chasing a constantly shifting meta.

11. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

I want to be able to run a proper Orcs and Goblins army with NORMAL orcs again. And goblins on wolves. And chariots. I do admit, I miss 6th edition. I used to run a dark elf cityguard army. Couple of RBTs, 3 big blocks of cityguard, couple of characters, that's it. And with that and the right load-out on my commander, I could hold most other armies to a draw. Never won much, but it was a challenge...

That was also the edition that gave me free reign with my Dogs of War army... I miss that, it was fun.

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

You have a point here, but given GW's attention is mainly focused on AoS and 40K, I wonder if the updates for The Horus Heresy and thus TOW will be less regular, meaning there will be more time for the game to breathe. I certainly can't see them releasing a new edition for it every three years as they're currently doing for AoS and 40K.

If this is the case, that'll be another reason for me to consider getting into it.

13. The Great White Lizard
    Chameleon Skink

The Great White Lizard Well-Known Member

I'm definitely excited for TOW, mainly because it might draw new players in my area away from AOS. If I have to learn a new ruleset and sadly abandon my membership in the Sacred Knights of the Divine Order, then so be it if it means I can play with many more people. Hopefully the updates are infrequent enough to keep it out of the AOS-40k levels of absurdity.

14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

It certainly has potential in reviving interest in Fantasy in general, beyond us old grumblers who kept hanging onto older editions, and if it improves on 8th's mistakes while keeping the good stuff about it, without going the way of AoS and 40K, then it could definitely be the answer to our prayers.

If it does turn out to be a success I shall instate the Order of the True Ninth, and we shall be it's first two members!

If not, we have nothing to lose. Either way, we win.

15. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

I will admit to being an old grumbler. That being said I did give AoS an honest try. I didn't care for it as I prefer rank and file and a hundred other things. I'll give the new Fantasy the same honest try and if it brings new life to Fantasy and I enjoy it then I'll play it. If not I still have my old rules and as was just said, no one can take that from me.

16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

:D

This. Very much.

No one can take the 8th from me, I will be able to play with my friends who feel similar.

BrotherSutek and Bowser like this.
  17. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

When does it happen is my big question! It feels like i am waiting so long. :)

BrotherSutek and Bowser like this.
  18. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Does anybody else play 40K here? I personally think especially stratagems could make The Old World pretty good, with its success in 40K i find it somewhat likely that we are going to get them in The Old World.

Bowser likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

What are these stratagems (for those of us who don't play 40k)? How do they work?

Bowser likes this.
  20. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

That would be nice, but in that case i really hope they will avoid to bloat the system with hundreds of strats...

Basically you start with a certain number of command points, that you can spend on stratagems that (usually) let a unit perform better.
    for example you can shoot without penalties, or you can reroll a dice, or your vehicle acts as if it was on top damage braket, and so on.
    Of course, being GW, each army has no less than 20 of them, and with some strats you can set up pretty nasty combo.

NIGHTBRINGER, BrotherSutek and Bowser like this.