1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW THE OLD WORLD - Poll: Will TOW be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Nov 22, 2019.

?

How confident are you that TOW will be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

1. 0 - No chance. We're getting something completely different.

2. 1

3. 2 - Very unlikely

4. 3

5. 4

6. 5 - 50/50. It could either way

7. 6

8. 7

9. 8 - Probably

10. 9

11. 10 - 100% sure. The game will be a natural edition update of 8th.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I work a lot with legal documents, so maybe that makes it that i am not really bothered by it ;).

An issue with the GW keyword convention if you ask me is how they handle the CORE keyword. A lot of abilities, and i mean like maybe even 20-30 in an army book check if a unit is CORE or not. When nerfing units, GW likes to take the CORE keyword away (Ironstriders, Dragoons, Broadsides) or not give it to units that you would expect to have (Centurions) sortoff soft-ban units. I do not like that approach, but the general idea of it is fine.

Casting magic in both phases sounds like a lot of fun! Easy to implement as well. Maybe it would be necessary to take away some dice from both players to make it so the Magic phase does not last forever, but it sounds cool.

2. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

I've been listening to the "Wargames Orchard" podcast which has taught me quite a bit about older WFB editions. One edition had wizards limited to their level + 1 for the amount of dice to attempt spells, which sounded like an awesome way to limit your ability to just yeet a handful of dice to get a spell off.

BrotherSutek likes this.
  3. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

BrotherSutek Well-Known Member

It worked well in 7th IMO. The throwing of max dice in 8th got tiring but the other side of that was armies such as VC were able to single dice many spells while others didn't have that luxury. It did make TK my favorite army to play magic wise as they were so dependable.

4. airjamy
    Bastiladon

Old magic rules were hilarious. I will never forget a game i played against the Empire in what i think was 5th or 6th edition. We played on a desert map, so there were some rocks and some hills. His lvl 2 Life wizard got 2 spells, one spell that was able to move trees and do damage if you were close to said moved trees, and one spell that was able to move water terrain elements and then do damage if enemy units were close to said water terrain elements. Signature spells were not a thing. Let's say that that wizard did not do much casting that game XD.

5. airjamy
    Bastiladon

I can see the idea of it, but does that not just make any wizard that is not Lvl 4 useless? I would just force through with my Slann, and be very happy when i see only a lvl 2 on the other side. How did dispels work, could you just throw as many dice as you want at a dispel? Would make scroll caddies worse though i guess.

6. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

How so? Level 1 wizards get 2 dice to cast, just fine for the lower level spells. Of course it'd probably require some different form of selecting spells, as getting the high level spell with a large cast value would be useless.

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I suppose it's because the 4th level wizard will have a much easier time to dispel your attempt.

BrotherSutek and airjamy like this.
  8. airjamy
    Bastiladon

Also because being able to decide if you want to invest 1-5 dice over 4 spells gives you so much more options in the magic phase as opposed to making decisions over 2-3 dice over 2 spells.

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Has anyone seen anything online hinting at what the rule set is gonna be like?

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Nope.
    But must be said that lately i'm not following news

11. airjamy
    Bastiladon

Have been looking, no news for as far as i know.

12. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

You know, I know GW has said that they're going to set it up so we can use our old minis with The Old World... but it would be nice if they'd leak which base sizes we can use...

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I can't see what GW's rationale would be to bring back old models and to bring back square bases while at the same time choosing not to use the same base sizes as were used in WFB. I think such a deviation would piss off a lot of people that they may be wishing to win back.

...then again, it is GW... so you never know! :p

14. BigDinosaur
    Skink

BigDinosaur Active Member

They stated that they want the game to be playable with old WHF armies that people already have so..

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Exactly. It wouldn't make much sense for them to alter the base sizes. I never put anything past GW though.

16. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Morglum Well-Known Member

They said they are going to use a mix of rules from previous editions from 3th up to 8th. I just hope steadfast and hordes are gone.

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Seeing Hordes go would definitely be a plus, though Steadfast I thought was a good way of balancing infantry to avoid cavalry dominating too much.

hardyworld likes this.
  18. hardyworld
    Kroxigor

hardyworld Active Member

Steadfast was the best new rules in 8th Ed. and is a must have in my opinion.
    Unit Strength was one of the rules I missed the most in 8th Ed. and I would love to have it back.
    I kind of hope they include the reduced strength of injured monsters that AoS has. *ducks for cover*

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

well, in 40k for all LoW there is. Also for aircrafts and a lot of other units. Big models.

fot ToW it really depends on how much are they going to "pump" the monsters

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

That is an interesting mechanic that is realistic (as monsters would get weaker the more wounds they suffer), but it wouldn't work so well in Warhammer Fantasy when you can count the number of wounds the vast majority of monsters have on a single D6. To implement this mechanic they would probably have to change the numbers of wounds monsters have to be more like AoS, and that wouldn't be received well. I certainly wouldn't want that in Warhammer Fantasy, it reminds me too much of the End Times when they first tried the mechanic out.

NIGHTBRINGER and Morglum like this.