1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW THE OLD WORLD - Poll: Will TOW be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Nov 22, 2019.

?

How confident are you that TOW will be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

1. 0 - No chance. We're getting something completely different.

2. 1

3. 2 - Very unlikely

4. 3

5. 4

6. 5 - 50/50. It could either way

7. 6

8. 7

9. 8 - Probably

10. 9

11. 10 - 100% sure. The game will be a natural edition update of 8th.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Interesting in this:

Grrr, Imrahil

3. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

+1

:D

I'm with you here buddy. I am crossing my fingers about the combined rulesets though...

I'm glad they confirmed old army use, same size models, square bases and ranks of troops.

Despite my pessimism, my hope is kindled.

5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

There’s certainly potential for it now, though I really hope they don’t bring back the Horde rule, that was a blatant money-grabbing scheme and it looked ridiculous to have superior troops in such large undisciplined masses when they should be in smaller more elite units.

Also it was pointless to just talk more about Kislev, we know they’re going to be in the game and most players probably don’t care that much about them, and I’m disappointed there’s still no news about when TOW is coming.

However, seeing square bases confirmed, the scale confirmed as 28mm and the encouragement for players to use their old armies sounds promising. I just hope they consider bringing back discontinued plastics for existing factions from the 8th era to make it easier and cheaper for players of existing factions to “add new miniatures to old armies”. That’d be the icing on the cake.

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

with this pace, they'll release ToW when i'll go in retirement. :p
    On the plus side, i will have much more free time.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think there is still much we need to know, and much that could go wrong. HOWEVER, what they have revealed is exactly what I want to hear. This is all good news. This reveal has alleviated some concerns and eliminated some deal-breakers completely. Real WFB! Square bases! Traditional scale! Classic naming! All good stuff.

My biggest concern is whether all old armies will be playable indefinitely or just in the onset as was seen in AoS.

All in all, while I still have my doubts, I'm at least more hopeful than I was previously. I think most of us can at least agree on that.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

All valid points. I didn't think about old armies being playable (potentially) only temporarily.

And, yes, it could all still go horribly wrong. But I've still got the 8th at that point and the friends who play it.

10. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

ohhhhhhh you negative Nancy, it’ll be great! This is all good stuff! I’m ready to get my heart broken!

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I don't think I'm being negative. I feel my post is largely positive while still staying grounded....

Most of the stuff we've seen is great, but we have seen very little. As @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl points out, the fact that it looks to be run by Forge World is potentially very problematic. I'm in a very good hobby place with 8th edition, The Old World has to be spectacular for me to jump ship. That said, I'm willing to give it a look/try.

12. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

BrotherSutek Well-Known Member

I am excited by the fact that they aren't going to rebrand old armies with silly AoS names. Orcs are going to be Orcs and not Orrucks! I honestly thought we'd lose that battle. Otherwise I am cautiously hopeful that we might see Dogs of War but not holding my breath. As for my main fear which the Kislevs are feeding I really hope we are going to see middle fantasy as a style but I think we will see High fantasy like we have in AoS.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Another thought, when they say: "We want people to be able to use their old armies if they wish, or to start new ones, or to add new miniatures to old armies – whatever they want", do they mean all old armies?...
    • Tomb Kings?
    • Bretonnia?
    • Chaos Dwarfs?
    I own two of the three listed above, if either are absent, I don't think I'd transition to the new game. Why do so, when all of my armies are fully playable in 8th?

I hope GW will transition all of the old armies into the new game.

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

we all hope for that...

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I’m pretty sure they will, given they teased the Settra meme on their first post announcing the game, and they’ve since revealed Bretonnia and the Chaos Dwarf territories on their maps. If they miss out at least one of those three then there’ll without a doubt be a fan base mutiny.

I’m still wondering if the reason GW deleted the Forge World Chaos Dwarf range was because they might be working on a new plastic range for them to finally give them the same treatment as all other armies. Their recent obsession with Sisters of Battle in 40K, as much as I dislike it, is their way of apologising to the players of that army for not being treated as well as other armies for so long, and given that plastic Sisters is pretty much a done thing now other than the odd supplementary release, maybe they’ve shifted their attention to plastic Chaos Dwarfs. They were treated similarly bad as Sisters throughout much of GW’s history, were similarly memed in the Warhammer community and have a similarly devout fanbase, and the reason GW didn’t do this sooner (and the reason they didn’t get rid of the Forge World range until not long ago) was maybe they wanted to release it just in time for TOW to come out, so that the army can be used in both AoS and The Old World.

Certainly in terms of AoS army release plans, while there are still ideas circulating for Order, Destruction and at a stretch Death, Chaos has run out of new ideas - there’s now an army for each god plus Warriors of Chaos, Skaven and Beastmen (and Daemons of Chaos through Be’lakor’s new rules) from Fantasy, the only way forward for this Grand Alliance now is through Chaos Dwarfs.

16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

As we've discussed, I would need to be able to transition over fully with all my armies (including Tomb Kings) and the rules need to be decent.

Otherwise, I'll just keep going on 8th with my friends. No loss for me.

17. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

What do you think the odds are of a "starter box set" for TOW? If so, what armies do you think would be included?

Going off what Lord Agragax said about the potential of a new plastic Chaos Dwarfs line, I wouldn't be surprised if they're included in a starter set as they would be one of the "new" model ranges, along with Kislev - especially with how much they keep talking bout them/hyping them up.

However, with it being a FW-run game, I feel this is rather unlikely as I don't believe they do that kind of thing, but with so much hype surrounding the game it feels like it'd be a missed opportunity not to release a large "exclusive" set - much in the vain of Indomitus & Dominion. Although I'm not a fan of this new way GW is running new edition releases, it does seem like a profitable model for them and might suggest that the game would be run more akin to AoS & 40k...for better and for worse, haha!

What do you all think?

18. Killer Angel
    Slann

that's highly probable.

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I can see why @Cuetzpal Pilli says it’s unlikely there will be a starter set for TOW because of Forge World’s dominion over it, but back in the days of late 8th Edition Fantasy/early AoS and 7th Edition 40K, GW released two plastic starter sets for the Horus Heresy, thus far the only plastic models to date for this game. Even if the worst happens and all existing Fantasy factions also get Forge World models, and TOW is treated a la Horus Heresy, GW may well still make a plastic starter set, probably as you say using the awful limited-edition-cash-grab format of Indomitus and Dominion followed by a poor-value replacement and the two smaller boxes, as an easy and cheap(ish) entry-point for new players. They’d be nuts not to given all the hype behind it. It’d be a real shame though if those were the only plastic miniatures marketed for the game.

As to the factions, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was Kislev on the good side, given that they now seem to be stealing the Empire’s thunder as the protagonist faction (GW obsess about Kislev in the article with real fanboy gusto as ‘the real outpost against Chaos because the Empire was more obsessed with fighting itself in the War of the Three Emperors’). With regards to the evil faction, Chaos Dwarfs might be a possibility (and would be really nice as a symbol of GW aiming to fix all their mistakes) but to be honest I’d say it would be either Warriors of Chaos (if GW can resist the urge to make their rules broken this time, we don’t want one starter set faction crushing the other every time) or Orcs and Goblins. One of the most obvious enemies everyone thinks of.

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

If Chaos Dwarfs were in the starter set, I'd be hyped!! :):wideyed::)