1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Harry Potter Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

2. Scalenex
    Slann

3. Scolenex
    Ripperdactil

Scolenex Well-Known Member

Scalenex wouldn't tell me what he saw. I just saw bamboo.

I have heard it argue that it was pathetic that three first year students were able to penetrate the defenses to the Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerers Stone but a guy explained head cannon that Dumbledore more or less wanted Harry to get through the defenses as a test because only the Mirror of Erised matters.

He could have put the Mirror in Professor Quirrel's office and Voldomort still wouldn't have gotten it.

Killer Angel likes this.
  4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Who else thinks that the pointless upcoming HBO 'Remake' series is going to be the Sequel Trilogy/Rings of Power to Harry Potter's Original Trilogy/LoTR Trilogy and Fantastic Beasts' Prequels/Hobbit?

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  5. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Ugh... Another remake? This time of a series of very popular movies that is still very recent (at least to my mind).

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

It is absolutely a sheer waste of time and effort - as you say the films are still relatively recent in the grand scheme of things, as well as being universally well-received and one of Britain's biggest exports in recent times.

Just like with Star Wars, it seems they've become scared of doing anything new and original after Fantastic Beasts ground to a halt, for fear that anything else new they come up with will similarly fall apart. But the thing is, Fantastic Beasts didn't fall apart because it was something new, it fell apart because of the bad behaviour of a certain effeminate emo actor, the trial of its main villain against his far more villainous wife and because it tried to insert identity politics into what was otherwise a story with great potential. What's worse, this new series I can easily see crashing and burning far harder because people already have the original 7 films to enjoy, and the series will tell nothing new. People aren't stupid, they notice when something is going to re-tread the same old storyline.

I can see the direction in which it will go - it'll doubtless be an Americanisation of it set in 'Hogwarts High' that will throw away all the charm, sophistication and sheer Britishness of the original, with black Hermione, mixed-race Ron and trans Harry facing down the toxic white Voldemort.

upload_2023-6-15_10-53-17.png

Just A Skink likes this.
  7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Another reason behind the massive drop of interest toward fantastic beasts (imo) was the fact that in the first movie there were... well, fantastic beasts, while in the second one they were no more a central element.

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I agree that they could have handled the titling better, but the fact that Newt and his Fantastic Beasts still played significant parts meant that the titles of the later two films weren't entirely irrelevant.

Compared to the other issues that undermined the Fantastic Beasts quintology and turned it into a trilogy, it's a very minor fault, pretty much cosmetic.

Just A Skink likes this.
  9. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I'm sure the behavior of a "flash"y actor and a court scandal with the main villain actor didn't help. Personally, the movies just didn't charm me like the original books and movies did. I can kind of give or take Eddie Redmane and Katherine Waterson in it. They weren't bad, but they just didn't knock me over. I'm not sure I liked the shift to the US. I should appreciate how the movie sort of grew from a simple story of Newt helping magical creatures to the battle between Grindelwald and Dumbledore, but I just wasn't sold. I don't know, maybe adult wizards just don't have the same "wonder" as kid wizards?

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Rumors tend to reflect people's greatest hopes and their greatest fears. Both rumors are present in spades.

There is a general consensus that the showrunners do not want to merely rehash the movies. There is speculation that the Harry Potter series will follow the books closely relative to the movies. There is speculation that the Harry Potter series will tainted by wokeness. There is speculation that the Harry Potter series will be damaged by too many cooks in the kitchen.

It is confirmed that there is going to be a large up front investment in the set of Hogwartz castle with an eye towards consistency. There is speculation that the set design will overlap with the recent popular computer game. There is speculation that the set design will overlap with current and upcoming Universal theme park aspects.

I plan to give it a shot, and unless my trusted critics are really brutal, I'll give the first season a watch with an open mind. I'm presuming the series will be on HBO Max, or whatever they call it now. I try not to subscribe to more than one streaming service at a time and once in a while I subscribe to HBO Max. Currently, I'm on Hulu binge watching Attack on Titan. Then I'm going to plug my nose and subscribe to Viacom long enough to binge watch Avatar: The Last Airbender.

As of right now I am planning to not subscribe to Amazon Prime because as a company they are CCP shills that frequently act in a moronic woke faction. I am planning not to subscribe to Disney+ because they are woke morons that frequently shill for the CCP.

11. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I believe JK Rowling is still involved, so hopefully the show won't go too far off the rails. Personally, I expect some "embellished" side stories like GoT threw in to pad a full season. In general, I just don't know why they're making it. The movies are very good and the books are even better. I feel a bit the same with the Last Airbender show that's coming up. It would be interesting to see a live action version, but the cartoon is SO good.

12. Scalenex
    Slann

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

14. Scalenex
    Slann

In the words of Jack Skellington, "Perhaps it can be improved"

I have two alternate versions, which do you like better A)

[​IMG]
    B)
    [​IMG]

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I prefer A, because it keeps with the Lord of the Rings references - I can imagine Professor McGonagall keeping her composure and riposting with just such a line (similar to the scene in Philosopher's Stone this meme is based on), as opposed to losing it completely as in B.

Scalenex likes this.
  16. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning