1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Tk'ya'pyk's Modeling Attempts (Scratchbashers Beware)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Tk'ya'pyk, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Woo, painted grot tanks!
    My grots were part of an ork waaaugh that took over an Imperial world. Waaugh got co-opted by Ghazghull, orks left, wasn't room for the grots. The grots left behind got bored and did a demolition derby with tanks and buggies and stuff One day they found an Imperial computer. They figured out how to make it work, and searched for "dangerous tank," and came up with the Tiger. so they argued. Then they thought, what makes it so dangerous? So they searched Tiger (but not tank) and went "oh, that orange striped camouflage made it dangerous!"
    Ork logic.
    Behold my tiger-striped Grot "Tiger" Tanks! Blue dags and marks (these grots were Deffskullz originally) and kustom mega-blastaz all around!
    20200404_222254.jpg
    20200404_222350.jpg

2. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

I have not had a lot of time to paint or hobby lately. With the whole COVID thing happening, I've been putting in extra hours at work. Yay (insert sarcasm here). But that doesn't mean I'm not at least thinking about stuff. After all, the new 40K rules and Chapter Approved 2020 came out! ... and my Renegades and Heretics army got nixed. No points costs for them means the army is pretty much gone. So I spent four days contemplating how to mod them into ... IMPERIAL GUARD (I don't care if their name changed, they were the Imperial Guard for most of MY warhammer hobby lifespan, so the Imperial Guard they shall remain). Then, in the middle of trying to decide which Doctrines to take, I came up with a stupid/silly idea:

20200731_142216.jpg

I give you Well-durr and Orkville, the Wrong Brothers! Well-durr (Weldur) is, or rather was attached to the PDF on the planet my Grot Waaaagh started on. When the Imperial forces were destroyed/fled/whatever, he got left behind. Being an ogryn, he could survive where a human would wind up a slave or worse. Eventually he linked up with Orkville the gretchin mek, a teamup that resulted in some rather spectacular explosions and some broken Ork flyers. This got them dubbed 'The Wrong Brothers' by a pissed off ork flyboy, and the name stuck...

20200731_142238.jpg

So as you can see in this shot, the Wrong Brothers are made up of a bunch of stuff. Fantasy Ogor is the core of Well-durr, with the gun from a metal Ork Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun. Added some stikkboms, gave him a new gut-plate made from the Big Mek's banner pole. Orkville's basket is actually a searchlight housing attached to the Shokk Attack Gun with brass wire. Orkville is just a random grot from my pile of grots. He had a hammer, so he looked right for the job. Plus he fit the 'basket.'

In game terms, Well-durr and Orkville the Wrong Brothers are a Big Mek with Shokk Attack gun.

3. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

20200908_002158.jpg
    TROGGBOSS!!!!!
    Seriously, Troggboss. This is Thorn Ogorshield, da King-Eater Under dis Mountain... and I have only just now realized that I forgot to do the highlights and drybrushing on his fur loincoth and hammer-handle... Oh well. The ring of his base will be painted a different color eventually... once I decide what color to use. This was an experiment to see if I could paint a troggoth in the first place. I'm not making an army of them if I cannot paint them, so... yay? His name is Thorn because he has been a thorn in the sides of the non-troggoths in the area. Ogorshield because he once picked up an Ogor and used it to block at attack aimed at him. King-Eater because once upon a time he was attacked by a band of humans led by a minor noble... and found out that nobles taste pretty good...

4. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

So with the advent of 9th edition, GW did this "Combat Patrol Challenge" thing on the Warhammer Community site. Basically, make a 500-point force that only uses a single Combat Patrol detatchment. So thinking about it, a few things happened. With Chapter Approved 2020, there are no points listed for the Renegades and Heretics army anymore. Basically, they're nixing the army for now. Boo. In the meantime until (if/when) they decide to rework that army, I'll redo my Skaviir Dominion (Skaven in Space) army as an IG Traitor Guard force.

To me, 500 points screams Scout Patrol. So my Combat Patrol is the 13th Skaviir, scouting detatchment. 500 points gets me a Company Commander, a 6-man sniper squad (Special Weapon Squad), 2 10-figure Infantry Squads (both with vox-casters, one with a grenade launcher the other a plasma gun), 3 Armored Sentinels (1 plasma cannon, 2 missile launchers), and 3 Scout Sentinels (2 with heavy flamer, sentinel chainsword, and hunter-killer missile, the third with just an autocannon). 27 infantry and 6 sentinels in 500 points. Not a bad deal, all things considered. How will they do in games? No clue. I'll find out eventually.

One, count it, ONE Imperial Guard (Astra Militarum, I know, but they were IG to me for most of 2 decades, so IG they will stay) Armored Sentinel with Missile Launcher!

20200908_221906.jpg

You'll note that this sentinel does not have a hunter-killer missile or a chainsword. This is because I didn't have enough chainsword parts for all of my sentinels, and as it HAS a missile launcher, I can fake giving it the H-K launcher when I get enough points to upgrade it. Desert world means desert terrain and desert camoflage. Kind of.

5. Bars_VDV
    Skink

Bars_VDV Member

Oh, Troggboss! I also recently painted Troggboss! Great!

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  6. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

One of the many, many armies I am working on is a combined Big Waagh with a bunch of old metal Orruk minis. I like the new Bonesplittaz and the Ironjaws, but I have fond memories of the old WFB Orc & Goblin army and all the special characters. So for the centerpiece of my Big Waagh, I bring you:

AZHAG DA SLAUGHTERER!!!
    20201031_125242.jpg

I had to strip paint off of the old, secondhand wyvern and Azhag (while they're from the same kit, I bought them from separate sources because I really wanted a proper Azhag the Slaughterer) and do some reassembly (there was actually some flash to remove still and I had to do some modifications on the wing-mounts). Then I thought, "wait, what if I wanted to use him with different equipment?" So I did a bit of surgical work on his left hand and magnetized his axe hand and a replacement so I can field him with a shield!

20201031_125308.jpg

Still have some basing to do and obviously he needs paint, but behold, Azhag the Slaughterer!!!

WAAAAAAAGH!!!!!

Imrahil likes this.
  7. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

And while we're at it, time for part II of "How to piss off Oldhammer Players!"

The other day, I was out at my local model train/model car kit store (I usually just call it the model train store since about 50% of the store is model train supplies) with a co-worker. He'd never been there before, so while I grabbed the latest issue of the one model train magazine I still read (Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette if you were wondering - kind of a niche magazine, but I happen to like it), he browsed through the model car kits.

Anyway, after paying for my magazine, I wandered over to where he was starting at some anime mecha model kits and something caught my eye. It took me a few days to scrounge up the money for them, but I knew I had to get them. I bring you:

20201030_145916.jpg
    Two NEW, UNOPENED boxes of plastic High Elf Dragon Princes of Caledor!!!

I don't even play High Elves, but when I saw them (not to mention the PRICE), I had to grab them. How does this piss off Oldhammer Players? I mean, these are plastic, not the metal minis the Oldhammer players prefer.

Here's the thing: I do not play High Elves. Or Lumineth, or Cities of Sigmar, or anything that would normally use these minis. So why, you might ask, did I grab them? Because at one point these were the miniatures several online tactica sites were suggesting as stand-ins for Legions of Nagash Blood Knights!

Seriously, have you SEEN the actual minis for the Blood Knights? I like GW stuff, but those Blood Knights are NOT among my list of favorite sculpts, and at $100 for 5 they're VERY pricey! These cost me all of $69 with tax for 10 cavalry models. Sure, I need to source some oval bases for them, but this will give my LoN army a hard-hitting flanking force that it desperately needs!

OR... if someone who DOES play High Elves REALLY wants them... I might be willing to sell them instead, but you'd have to make me a really good offer. I won't open these until I can get bases for them, so if someone REALLY wants them, drop me a PM and let me know, but otherwise I'm gonna vampire-up these pointy eared, dragon-armored gits!

Padre, Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  8. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Well, nobody has attempted to buy them from me, so after dinner it is time to turn some high elves into vampire knights!

Lizards of Renown and Padre like this.
  9. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I actually have a box of 5 sitting in my closet from when I considered the same conversion.

10. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

I think I need to clean my workdesk again...
    20201104_212635.jpg

11. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

It is good to see others have the same problems as me ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Hey look mom, I'm on TV!! :D

13. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

I solved this problem by adding additional desk, just for hobby things. Now I have two desks to care about :p

14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I bet both are full though... Am I right? :D

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  15. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

Its not that bad. I fight with entropy preeetty well ;)

Tk'ya'pyk and Lizards of Renown like this.
  16. generatorss
    Skink

generatorss New Member

Interesting color scheme, reminds something! :)

[​IMG]

Tk'ya'pyk, Ryanj4043 and Imrahil like this.
  17. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Well, well, well! I don't see much... that IS Battletech, right? Anyway, don't see much art for that, but that's mostly because I don't go looking for it! Nice to see that I'm not the only one to take "tiger" literally for big vehicles! :D

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  18. generatorss
    Skink

generatorss New Member

Yes, it's Battletech! The color scheme is really quite popular, but it doesn't get any worse)

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  19. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

I like this idea, I just don't have the room for it. In the meantime...

TROGGOTHS!!!
    20201205_214339.jpg

20. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I like the detail on these. Lovely bases with the shrooms ;)

Grrr, Imrahil