1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to Ace the Base(coat)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Scales_Never_Fails, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Scales_Never_Fails
    Jungle Swarm

Scales_Never_Fails New Member

Hello there fellow scaley-bois and girls.

Rookie question but I am hoping some of you nice folk can help me out. I bought the Seraphon start collecting kit and I'm looking to get started onto the the Cold Ones (Or as we would say in Scotland, "Cauld'yins")

I bought the Macragge Blue base spray for use with the Saurus models. However I am not sure that this would be the right base coat for the Cold Ones. They seem to be Dark green at the top with a light-green/beige belly.

What would the recommendations be for base coating the Cold Ones? A white base coat wouldn't work too well for the dark green but then a dark base coat would interfere with the beige belly?

All advice is welcome

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think starting with a grey primer works best for these guys. This is a pretty good tutorial here:

Imrahil and Scales_Never_Fails like this.
  3. Scales_Never_Fails
    Jungle Swarm

Scales_Never_Fails New Member

Thanks Bowser, I'll take a look for sure

Imrahil, Lizards of Renown and Bowser like this.
  4. Izla
    Skink

Izla Active Member

Welcome! Black basecoats tends to be more forgiving as any crevices you can't reach are dark anyway while white basecoats tends to brighten the whole model. Grey is a good in between.

The main thing is multiple thin layers of paint to build up your colour; colours like yellow or orange are notoriously difficult to get good coverage with! I would also recommend trying washes (essentially very thinned down paints) that run into crevices and cracks to shade those areas quickly and provide a degree of contrast; nuln oil is great to start with.

Enjoy the process, experiment, and don't worry that you aren't doing pro standard straight away - it'll come with time ;)

Lizards of Renown and Bowser like this.
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

White or off-white is best for using contrast paints. Not sure what your plan is but using the contrast creates automatic darker bits in the recesses.

Izla and Bowser like this.
  6. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Yep, this is the one I went for as well. Grey works great for both the darker green and the lighter belly.
    (I use it also for my Saurus)

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser likes this.