1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Updated - LF Advice on 2000pt Army List

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by DeaygoSaurus, Mar 25, 2023.

1. DeaygoSaurus
    Jungle Swarm

DeaygoSaurus New Member

Hi all, first post on the forum as I've been a Google lurker just reading threads on tactics and such. TLDR: Apologies for the long intro, looking for some advice on this 2500pt list I came up with!

I haven't played a single game since 7th edition but when things got locked down a few years ago I found my old HE army stashed away in the attic and decided to bust them out and see just how bad I was at painting my minis from 15+ years ago....it was bad...and when I started painting again I was even worse trying to jump back in..working on that though!

I was never able to fully field an army back in my teen years(at least not exactly what I wanted when making mock lists!) and now in my older age with income stability and just a general lack of interest in spending money on going to bars, I have collected a few armies(HE, WoC, OK, and of course LM).

I came up with a 2500pt army(it's the points we used to play when we did with 7th) and looking for some advice as I am planning on finding a group to play some 8th or even learn the unofficial rules for the fan made versions of "9th" or WAP. I was told by my friends though they are interested in playing again, but only when TOW comes out....ugh

With that, here is the list:

+ Lords +

Slann Mage-Priest [460pts]: Battle Standard Bearer, Lore of High Magic, Wizard Level 4
    . Disciplines of the Old Ones: Becalming Cogitation, Focus of Mystery, Harmonic Convergence
    . Magic Items: BRB - Channeling Staff, BRB - Obsidian Amulet

+ Heroes +

Saurus Scar-Veteran [155pts]: Great Weapon, Light Armour
    . Cold One: Cold One
    . Magic Items: AB - Sacred Stegadon Helm of Itza, BRB - Dragonbane Gem

Saurus Scar-Veteran [132pts]: Halberd
    . Magic Items: BRB - Armour of Destiny

Skink Priest [90pts]: Lore of Beasts, Wizard Level 1
    . Magic Items: BRB - Dispel Scroll

Skink Priest [95pts]: Lore of Heavens, Wizard Level 1
    . Magic Items: AB - Cube of Darkness

+ Core +

Saurus Warriors [283pts]: Champion, Musician, 23x Saurus Warrior, Standard Bearer

Skink Cohort [180pts]: 2x Kroxigor, 16x Skink

Skink Skirmishers [77pts]
    . 11x Skink Skirmisher: 11x Lustrian Javelins with Shield

Skink Skirmishers [87pts]: Champion
    . 11x Skink Skirmisher: 11x Blowpipe

+ Special +

Bastiladon [150pts]: Bastiladon
    . Crew with Solar Engine: 3x Crew

Chameleon Skinks [65pts]: 5x Chameleon Skink

Temple Guard [325pts]: 20x Temple Guard
    . Champion
    . Musician
    . Standard Bearer: BRB - Standard of Discipline

+ Rare +

Ancient Stegadon [230pts]: Ancient Stegadon, 5x Crew, Two Giant Blowpipes

Salamander Hunting Pack [84pts]
    . Salamander Hunting Pack: Extra Handler, 3x Handlers, Salamander

Salamander Hunting Pack [84pts]
    . Salamander Hunting Pack: Extra Handler, 3x Handlers, Salamander

++ Total: [2,497pts] ++

To add some more info(on this already long post) I have more models to work with so I can change a lot around. In addition to the list I also have:

15 Temple Guard
    18 Cold One Riders
    20+ Skinks (I can change out weapon setups as I have enough bits)
    3 Terradons with Riders
    1 Chameleon Skink
    1 Stegadon with EoG(both have EoG available and looking to magnetize to swap around)
    6 Kroxigors
    2 Salamanders (converting 2 more skinks to handlers so I can add extra crew)
    1 Carnosaur with the Old Blood/Scar-Vet ready to mount
    4 Jungle Swarms
    1 Gor-Rok
    3 Skink Chieftains on foot
    2 Skink Priests

I was more of a "Use the magic phase player" back in the day as I started with HE and a lot of spears/archers with minimal specials(if I had them they were MSU because I couldn't afford a huge 30+ block of White Lions and Phoenix Guard at that age)

I'm looking to get an EoG on the Ancient Steg but struggling for points, I can't touch core as at 2500 I need the 625, but hoping to get some feedback on the list and changes that could possibly get that in there.

Appreciate the read if you did(no worries if you didn't, it's a long post)

Cheers and good games to you all,
    DeaygoSaurus

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    Morglum likes this.
  2. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Morglum Well-Known Member

I would ditch the skink cohord with krox. They have no use, better spend it on more skink skirmishers.

For the rest it looks like a decent 8th edition list. In 8th i hardly field monsters (although that is one of the lizzies strong stuff/needs) because of the heatseeking canons, but that of course depends against what armies you play.

I swapped to wap

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  3. DeaygoSaurus
    Jungle Swarm

DeaygoSaurus New Member

Appreciate the advice there, after doing more Google-fu, I've seen that the Skrox unit is pretty bad in that setup(opponent dependent).

I'm actually playing a 2v2 this coming Sunday with the LM...We have a weird point max at 1800 since we are all getting back into it but, I've been playing around with Battlescribe to tweak this list down to 1800! Can't wait to play again!

Morglum likes this.
  4. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

If you had the models, I would suggest bumping up the Temple Guard. Miscasts can really do a number on them, so more is usually better.

5. DeaygoSaurus
    Jungle Swarm

DeaygoSaurus New Member

I definitely forgot while typing this up a bit ago, I do have another 15 temple guard.

I tweaked the 2500pt list down to 1800 for a 2v2 with Slann/tg, but with the added people on each side I dropped the Slann/TG for a big block of saurus with 2 scar-vets on foot..

The game was supposed to be 2v2 with space on the board that turned into a 3v3 so no maneuvering (poor chameleon skinks)

not a battle report but I'm definitely taking the Slann with TG next time and bumping it up a bit. Probably would've changed the game.

At 1800 20 fit, at 2500 I think I'll go 26 - 32 depending on the game.

Thanks all for the comments as they come in, we are waiting for TOW but we all wanted to bust out some armies again and play just to get together.

To add, it was DE, VC, VC, vs LM, HE(bad, bad list), and Ogres left to right(we rolled for placement)

Good battles!

6. DeaygoSaurus
    Jungle Swarm

DeaygoSaurus New Member

Hey all!

I didn't want to start a new thread so figure I'd ask for some advice again here on a new list. We decided we would play again this Sunday. We did decide this time that even if we have 6 people we are going to do 1v1's or a 2v2 and a 1v1 simultaneously as that 3v3 was just brutal on the table with space.

This is a 2000pt list this time, wanted to make more of an all comers list as it will probably be the same armies in the mix with the edition of Empire(last time it was DE, VK, VK vs LM, HE, OK)

Some notes:
    * If we go 2v2, I proposed a house rule for adding an additional d6 to the power dice rolling and maxing at 18. Dispel gets highest and .5 next highest for their pool. The Magic Phase was non existent sharing 2d6 + channels between 3 people(why I didn't bring a Slann), throw in 2 or 3 dispel scrolls per side, it was a very quick and pointless phase each turn. Outside of t1, they let the DE roll em all for IF to pit my Saurus block first turn, and we let the AM Dwellers a big block of some strong VK unit on our t1.

*The table will still be tight with a 2v2 for maneuvering(I couldn't scout my chameleons last time as there was zero space, suspect the same this time even in a 2v2), plus I just painted up some Terradons I want to field up and see how they do.

*The Skinks did alright, but with the limited space and shared deployment, I just couldn't find the room to really move around the skirmishers like they should be moved, my reasoning for upping the Saurus and dropping a unit of skirmishers(I only lost 8 as I added 1 more to each unit left to hit my 500pt min for core)

*We usually don't play any scenarios, it's more of an after 5 turns we usually know the outcome(and may run 1+ more turn depending on how close it looks)
      • Lords [415pts]
        • Slann Mage-Priest [415pts]
          Selections:Lore of Signatures (only with WD), Wizard Level 4
          • Battle Standard Bearer [40pts]
            Selections:BRB - Standard of Discipline [15pts]

• Disciplines of the Old Ones [60pts]
            Selections:Harmonic Convergence [30pts], Wandering Deliberations [30pts]

• Magic Items [15pts]
            Selections:BRB - Channeling Staff [15pts]
      • Heroes [185pts]
        • Gor-Rok [185pts]
          Selections:AB - The Mace of Ulumak, AB - The Shield of Aeons
      • Core [503pts]
        • Saurus Warriors [349pts]
          Selections:Champion [10pts], Musician [10pts], 29x Saurus Warrior [319pts], Standard Bearer [10pts]

• Skink Skirmishers [77pts]
          • 11x Skink Skirmisher [77pts]
            Selections:11x Lustrian Javelins with Shield
        • Skink Skirmishers [77pts]
          • 11x Skink Skirmisher [77pts]
            Selections:11x Lustrian Javelins with Shield
      • Special [499pts]
        • Temple Guard [394pts]
          Selections:Champion [10pts], Musician [10pts], Standard Bearer [10pts], 26x Temple Guard [364pts]

• Terradon Riders [105pts]
          • 3x Terradon Rider [105pts]
            Selections:3x Lustrian Javelins
      • Rare [398pts]
        • Ancient Stegadon [230pts]
          Selections:Two Giant Blowpipes

• Salamander Hunting Pack [168pts]
          • Salamander Hunting Pack [84pts]
            Selections:Extra Handler [4pts]

• Salamander Hunting Pack [84pts]
            Selections:Extra Handler [4pts]

Thoughts on this as an all comers list? Any tweaks suggested? Appreciated in advance and hoping to get some insight before Sunday! Thanks again and good battles!

7. Aqat
    Jungle Swarm

Aqat New Member

I know im way to late but hear are my ideas.

1) ditch Gor-Rok and take TettoÈko he is way better and a mini Slann, put him in the saurus
    2) 2 Cowboy are better than a Stegodon Sadly Take 2 of these for Stegodon and Teradons

+ Heroes +

Saurus Scar-Veteran [154pts]: Great Weapon
    . Cold One
    . Magic Items: BRB - Armour of Destiny

Saurus Scar-Veteran [154pts]: Great Weapon
    . Cold One
    . Magic Items: BRB - Dawnstone, BRB - Dragonhelm, BRB - The Other Trickster's Shard

Saurus Scar-Veteran [144pts]: Great Weapon
    . Cold One
    . Magic Items: BRB - Armour of Fortune, BRB - Dragonbane Gem

3) and this is point 3 Terradons are realy good if u play 2 so they can do their double fleeing and than rally. A single unit isnt worth much better go for a blank Skink Chief (cheap chaff) or if u want a flyer:

Skink Chief [77pts]: Additional Hand Weapon
    . Magic Items: AB - The Cloak of Feathers

4) u can take out 2 Skirmisher and get 1 Warrior for that and free up 3 points (if u need it, just makes me happy to reach exactly 500 :D)