1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Walters' paint blog [5th edition Lizardmen + Empire]

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Walters, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

When I first started ('95 I think) I beleive I was playing 6th Edition mainly because I remember having that Saurus with the funny headdress and that Stegadon model.

Have moved on to 8th exclusively now, but it still has a special place in my heart :)

Bowser and Walters like this.
  2. Walters
    Saurus

Walters Well-Known Member

Fun that you had them back them! My first encounter with Lizardmen was with the newer miniatures, and it is first now that I have managed to collect and paint an army consisting mostly of the older ones. When I started to play it was the 6th edition, and after the 7th I had a break from Warhammer for many years. It took me some time to even find out that Warhammer had been discontinued... thus I never got around playing the 8th, and given nostalgic reasons I went straight back to the 6th. :)

3. Eagle Warrior
    Saurus

Eagle Warrior Active Member

I had a whole army of these lovely models back in the day, including the funky camp Slann carried by Temple Guard. XD

I like the new models, but the classic style will always be my first lizardy love.

4. Walters
    Saurus

The work on the Lizardmen progresses. I have finished the movement trays and put magnets under the bases for the temple guard. Since the army more or less is complete, working on another unit of 20 saurus warriors, I have begun painting my Empire army. Here is the first unit, 20 spearmen from Altdorf:

Spearmen 1.jpg

I enjoyed painting these pikemen from the Warlord Games landsknechts range, they certainly have the feel of the older plastic Empire range. Next up are some pistoliers!

5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

These look amazing and the basing (plus movement tray) is super Pro. Nice one!

6. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you very much! I'm happy about how they turned out. I used the highland set from GamersGrass, it came with several different tufts and flowers.

Bowser and Lizards of Renown like this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That flag looks fantastic!

Glad to see more people with some Warlord Games projects! Personally I am a big fan of their Samurai range, I have a bunch of them painted in my Other Paint log. Great way to amass a large historical miniature wargames army!

8. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you, and I have to read through your paint log again for some inspiration! It was the first time experimenting with a paper flag. I do however lack ideas for how the banner for my greatswords shall look like, do you have any suggestions? Same size with red and blue background.

Great way indeed! The starter box provided me with almost everything I neeeded for a core army.

Bowser, Warden and Lizards of Renown like this.
  9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

If you want to keep a standard look for your army you could easily just make the next unit's flag look identical, or you could maybe make subtle changes? I like the color scheme you have chosen for your units flag.

Perhaps the color scheme stays the same, but you use a different yellow-colored heraldic animal instead (like an eagle, a lion, a boar, etc).

Or you could keep the griffin as your central symbol, but change the field division from a "quartered" scheme to something else. (lots of examples here, look under field divisions or even ordinaries). Maybe one unit has a flag that is just half blue/half red, the next unit down the flag is red but with a blue vertical stripe, the next one has a flag that is the same colors but divided "per saltire" instead of quarterly, etc...

This is making me want to go look at my old Bretonnian army again. Long Live Bretonnia (and the rest of the Old World)!

10. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you for your ideas! I will look into it and get back when I have started painting it. I don't think I want to have another griffon, but perhaps as you say another animal would look cool. I like the idea of a lion, or maybe a stag?

Ah Bretonnia... The first unit I painted was 6 of the older plastic archers. I used arrows from the skeleton regiment box and some fishing line on the bows. Those were the days. Never played with or against Bretonnia sadly. My friends had Chaos, Vampire Counts, Skaven, Dark Elves and High Elves back in the day.

Your Bretonnia collection is beyond impressive! So many nicely painted miniatures. Did you play them using 6th edition rules too?

11. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Thanks!

I have only played them with 6th edition rules, but were I to play with them in 8th edition I might use the rules from Warhammer Armies Project.

Bowser, Walters and Lizards of Renown like this.
  12. Walters
    Saurus

I am planning to get to work on some more banners and two detachments of halberdiers, but until then I have finished painting a unit of pistoliers. I thought they looked somewhat bland with the armour so I added some red and blue into the mix to brighten them up a little, going with the Altdorf theme. The tray will get some basing too.

Their rules seem to be quite fun and I look forward to fielding them.

Pistoliers 3.jpg
    Pistoliers 2.jpg

13. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Great work on these. The horses look very good.
    Nice basing as well.

Grrr, Imrahil

14. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice pistoliers, I always like when horses are painted different colors to change up how the unit looks.

15. Walters
    Saurus

Thank you guys! At the start I was close to going for just one color for the horses, but decided to try different ones. I need to get a matt medium or something though becauase the washes make them quite shiny.

The halberdiers are coming along nicely and I hope to have them finished soon, but I also decided to begin with the elector count himself.
    Griffon WIP 1.jpg

I was very happy when I managed to get hold on the older griffon. The elector count is not the original griffon riding miniature, but a classic knight which I think fits the role of general nicely.

I am worried about painting the griffon though since I do not want to mess it up...
    I want to paint the cat part as a tiger, like Death Claw, because I find it awesome, yet I do not have a clue how I best will achieve this. How would you hardened veterans go about painting it? How shall one get the strips right for instance? I do not have an airbrush.

I have learnt many painting tricks here on this forum and I hope you can share some more wisdom. :)

Bowser, Warden, Sudsinabucket and 2 others like this.
  16. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

This is a stunning model, of course you want to do it justice.
    Most recently @Sudsinabucket has painted a model partly with stripes, perhaps he can help you out.

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser, Walters and Sudsinabucket like this.
  17. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Real exhausted, so I don't have a real answer atm, but im gonna be doing a tutorial on stripes (Tasmanian Tiger stripes to be exact) which I think you'll find useful. If you want, head over to my blog (link here:): https://www.lustria-online.com/threads/suds-2021-paint-blog-kitbashes.25537/page-17 - about 4-6 posts down, cant miss it) and check out the stripes on my Lord Regent kitbash. Ill try to remember and do a written explanation soon, and hopefully a tutorial after once i can figure out a camera solution

Bowser, Imrahil, Walters and 2 others like this.
  18. Walters
    Saurus

Stunning indeed. :D

Hope you are feeling better. :)
    I have been reading through your blog and that Lord Regent looks great! The orange is beautifully done and I am aiming for something like that. I post a picture here I found of the same model with a pattern I would like to have (all credit to the person behind the paintjob): http://www.coolminiornot.com/5788

I look forward to your tutorial! (How do I tag someone? :confused:)

Bowser, Imrahil and Sudsinabucket like this.
  19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Thank you! I need to finish it sometime, along with many other things lol

Just posted the tutorial in my Painting Blog, and I think itll be a good help for those stripes you want (or hope it is).

Haooy Hobbying!

20. Walters
    Saurus

Your tutorial is great and I look forward to getting some paint on the griffon! Did you finish painting the toy animal for fun? :) I will go for the orange approach like you, and try it out with black stripes, and see ho it goes from there. Do you recommend washing the entire cat-part of the body after the base coats, or use to wash only in the recesses?

Have painted two detachments of halberdiers (8 in each). These were fun to put together. The halberds are in metal and only 12 were included in the box (24 two handed soldiers in total including greatswords). So I used plastic halberds from the command sprue and converted the last halberdier using the metal arms for an old standard bearer model.
    Halberdiers 1.jpg
    Halberdiers 2.jpg

I also experimented with black armor on a greatsword. I painted it black, painted a brown base prior to gold on the gold parts, added a highlight of silver on edges, and finally painted the armor with gloss varnish to make it shine.

Greatsword WIP.jpg

I feel happy with the result. With this look I can at least make them stand out more from the regular state troops, given that they are of the same mold. And of course some more yellow flowers. :D