1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW We are not allowed to buy magical armor.. i think?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by airjamy, Feb 29, 2024.

1. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Some bad news here maybe. All our characters have "counts as" armor. The rules say that you only get to buy magical armor or a magical shield if you already have or can buy a mundane equivalent.

The question is if counts as armor is the same as armor. If you say that it is, that leads to some weird interactions. Suddenly, your Skink Priest (which from a rules perspective has exactly the same armor as an Oldblood!) gets to buy for example Armor of Silvered Steel, which i do not think is intended. I also find it kinda telling we have no magical armor at all in our book, almost every other army has it. Other armies that have counts as armor, like Woodelves Treemen, generally agree that they do not get to buy magical armor, we are just in the weird place that all our characters have counts as armor.

What do other people think about this?

2. Fxt
    Skink

Fxt Member

Lizardmen never had any magic armour in any book since 6th edition (probably only the hide of the cold one, which was an heavy armour and now give +1 instead), they simply brings back to Tow old magic items.

I think people need to stop rack their brains to over complicate thing that are easier.
    priest CAN buy magic armour, but cannot cast if they do so (because only callous hide allows them). Other character can simply buy armour.

Because, if we REALLY want to read RAW, no one can buy helm, or chaos lord cannot buy an armour of destiny (because he only have plate armour, not a heavy).

3. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

I mean you could indeed go even further and argue that if you have light armor you can only buy light armor equivalents, idk if i would go there, but you could. I am personally unsure what the correct ruling is, i think it is good to talk about before a game though.

4. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

Every single person I've ever met has agreed that "counts as heavy armor" means "counts as heavy armor for rules purposes." Honestly, what else could it possibly mean? "Counts as heavy armor for some rules, but not others, but we're not going to tell you which" is not a very plausible interpretation.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  5. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

This

6. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

In terms of Old World - I agree with this.

As an additional info, just for fun - RP/history-wise - LM can and do wear armour, usually golden.

WH:Roleplay Lustria (it's an official WH game) :

"Some Saurus strap on headdresses and golden armour as a mark of rank and ceremony."

"Lizardmen do not like to wear steel plate or chainmail armour, finding the experience one to which they have a strong natural aversion. A Lizardman could conceivably be forced to wear such armour, but that armour would count twice its ENC (rather than half) when worn by a Lizardman."

7. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Add to that the old blood carno model physically comes with different pieces of armour to equip him with and its tough to say "you can't buy armour" from a wysiwyg perspective

8. discomute
    Terradon

Although I believe buying armour is obviously both RAW and RAI I'll point out that we are unsupported in TOW and you're looking at AoS models.

9. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Cold One

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Except the carno was made before AoS with the 8th ed lizard book.

10. discomute
    Terradon

Oh I didn't know that. By the way it overhangs the base I assumed it was AoS.

11. Kalisto
    Temple Guard

Kalisto Active Member

6th :)