1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you doing today hobbywise?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Got Issue 4 of Imperium today, complete with a Skorpekh Destroyer sprue! I also got Issue 2 with the 3 Necron Warriors a couple of weeks ago. Great models, looking forward to adding them to my Necron legions.

Noxolotl, Imrahil and Killer Angel like this.
  2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Noxolotl and Lizards of Renown like this.
  3. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I got some more paint on my heavy dwarfs yesterday, while my daughter got a couple more layers on the Frostgrave soldiers I bought her.

Noxolotl and Lizards of Renown like this.
  4. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

And got even more paint on my dwarfs. I think I'm about one more paint session from completing the twenty with two handed weapons. I'll probably make the other 10 into heavy sword and board. I don't like the shields they come with, so I'll probably use the shields from the human infantry for them.

5. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

...I built a Mirebrute Troggoth... with an orruk riding it. To add to my Troggoth army. As an ally. Because Troggoths.

6. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I've thought about staying a Troggoth army, just because it seems fun. Is it fun to play?

And if you don't mind me asking, what do you run?

Noxolotl likes this.
  7. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

*sigh* In physicalness.. not a lot. I have only run the army in Tabletop Simulator. For 2K points I usually run: Troggboss, Mollog, Hag, 3 Fellwater, 3 Fellwater, 6 Rockgut, 6 Rockgut, and then whatever I feel like for the remaining ~300 points. Lately it has been a Dankhold Troggoth (not boss) and that wolf-rider trio from Warhammer Underworlds, but sometimes it is a Grot Shaman or something.

Split into two groups. Troggboss, one unit each Fellwater and Rockguts (usually with the Hag) in one group, Dankhold Troggoth with one unit each Fellwater and Rockguts with Mollog in the other. Mollog/Hag stay back to hold objectives (if any), otherwise they advance up with their group. Rockguts hit hard and can take damage, Fellwater hit more often but aren't as hardy. People tend to see the Rockguts as a bigger threat and ignore the Fellwater until a unit of 3 suddenly dumps 12 attacks at 2 damage each on their stuff! :D Mollog and the Troggboss are there for CA usage. Side note - Dankhold Troggoth is NOT a Troggboss and cannot use command abilities. Troggoths do NOT have unit commanders and therefore you're going to be strapped for ways to dish out those command abilities unless you add some grots. That is part of why I got the Mirebrute - as a hero he should be able to issue generic command abilities to any units nearby. Depending on points and how he plays, he may replace the Dankhold Troggoth as one of my group commanders.

Oh - and that isn't to say I don't HAVE this army, just not ALL of it. I'm sitting at: one Troggboss, the Hag, Mollog, 3 Fellwater, and 9 Rockguts in my personal collection at the moment. Just need a box each of Rockguts and Fellwaters now. :D

Noxolotl, xoid and Imrahil like this.
  8. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Hmm. Okay, now I'm tempted to make a kind of "Troggoth tactica" on the forums somewhere...

Noxolotl, xoid and Imrahil like this.
  9. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've just about got my Seraphon force to were I want it, with regards to options, and have always liked trolls, going back to always trying to cover up with ways to run them in my Orcs & Goblins armies in WHFB (stupidity on leadership 4 was a killer).

Have you thought about using a Marshcrawla Shaggoth or two? It is also a Troggoth, and it has a bubble +1 to hit, which means you have less need of figuring out how to get All Out Attack off.

Noxolotl and Tk'ya'pyk like this.
  10. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Last night I continued working on my Kurnoth Hunters, and partially built a Stegadon.

Noxolotl, Tk'ya'pyk and Imrahil like this.
  11. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Played a game of Bloodbowl followed by a very short 2000pt AoS game.

The Bloodbowl game of my Grey Coast Scuttlers (Skaven) vs the Goldtoofs (Orcs) was fun despite having lost 2-0, amusingly still eligible for the play-offs at the end of the season.

Then the AoS game...

My Thunder Lizard list consisted of the one I previously posted a while back, albeit having dropped the skystreak stegadon, starseer, and flaming skull for 20 saurus spears, priest, fireleech terradon MSU, and ravenous jaws. For this particular game, my opponent was itching to try out his Ironjawz for the first time since the 3.0 Orruk battletome came out, fielding a mawcrusher, warchanter, shaman, brutes, and multiple reinforced units of 'ardboyz. He ran with the Iron Suns subfaction.

Following corner deployment and getting first turn, I lucked out on 6 mortal wounds on the mawcrusher from afar via priest-garrisoned RSE and Comet's Call, though not much else beyond several run rolls army-wide and no shooting.

On my opponent's turn, the mawcrusher was teleported behind my lines via Hand of Mork with the intended goal of killing my priest and my stegadon chief in a double-charge, since he wasn't keen on letting me be able to spit out mortal wounds anywhere I pleased. He also managed to get a Waagh off, primarily to boost the brutes and megaboss (which he charged into my saurus warriors with).

As it turns out, the transition to 3.0 has not been kind on Ironjawz so far. The megaboss on mawcrusher did accomplish its first task of killing my priest, but, due to Thunder Lizard's special rules and the Sacred Stegadon Helm, was unable to remove the stegadon chief from the board during the double-charge (steg had 2 wounds remaining), and quickly found itself reduced to 3 wounds by the end of the combat phase courtesy of both the steg and the nearby bastiladon which was also engaged in the melee. The 5 brutes fared no better, watching as they lost 2 of their number in exchange for 3 saurus warriors.

My opponent conceded at the top of Turn 2 after I won the initiative roll, pointing out that there would have been nothing he could do to prevent me from steamrolling the rest of his army with my 4 dinos in tow as soon as I dealt with the mawcrusher due to Coalesced (and especially Thunder Lizard) effectively being a hard counter to Ironjawz at the moment. This wasn't something I was expecting to encounter going in, considering that said opponent has been wargaming for longer than I have been alive, and as such I accidentally stumbled into my first victory against him in a 1v1 AoS game.

On a side note, based on how both the trog and RSE have fared in the past two games I've played, my opponent is still strongly of the opinion that Comet's Call is too powerful for its casting value (especially when combined with the oracle's +1 to casting), and that the RSE really should have a points value assigned to it.

Noxolotl likes this.
  12. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

I have. But I do not have the new Orruk Warclans book, so I don't know its stats, or its points costs, or.... well, you get the idea. Don't know that for the Mirebrute either, but Troggoth.

Noxolotl likes this.
  13. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

I had two pleasant Mordheim games with my Eshin warband.

The first, against a Norscan warband, fared about as well as one would expect for skaven (with leaders bravely in the back and the meatshieldsminions up front), especially when I was kind of hamstrung by a makeshift bridge I had to climb onto if I wanted to cross between buildings. Still, I was able to put a Norscan hero out of action with the benefit of some spear-wielding verminkin.

My second game, against a Nurgle-based Carnival of Chaos warband, went by a lot better. Admittedly, it was pretty lopsided in my favour for three reasons: not only was (1) the Carnival of Chaos was a newly-minted warband in the group, but (2) my Eshin were the most experienced in the same group (having already played 4 games by that point), and (3) my Eshin had more than twice the model count. On the upside for my opponent, he at least got an underdog experience bonus across his warband for being horrendously outmatched, which will lead to their warband fast-tracking in experience for a little while.
    Props go to the troop of three slingers who proved their worth by plinking off a brute and carnival minion, a spear-wielding verminkin who put down a second brute while being charged by it, and a recently-elevated verminkin hero who cut down the carnival master with his two swords.

14. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I looked in the app and it is 150 points. Its melee profile is similar to a fellwater troggoth's, and it gets the d3 heal on a 4+, but it appears the reason to take it is all friendly units wholy within 18" inches get +1 to hit.

15. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

This is for the Sloggoth? Hmm...

16. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

Been busy putting together the Chaos Dwarf, Hobgoblin, bull centaurs I received from Russian Alternative that my lovely wife got me for my birthday.
    Last weekend babysitting the grandkids we watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. First time for them and they loved it.
    Which leads me to a parcel I ordered from Studio Miniatures - Medieval Mayhem which arrived yesterday. Yet even more to paint....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I now want to use those guys for a blood bowl team, or something like that.

18. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I finished up my first 20 heavy dwarfs.

19. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Very nice, Monty Python classic

A lot of likes for these models :) :)
    Very much love the Black knight!

Grrr, Imrahil

20. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I'm gradually putting together my first Stegadon mini.

Noxolotl, Killer Angel and Imrahil like this.