1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you doing today hobbywise?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

So there's this "New Year, New Army" thing that GW likes to promote.

Last year, the wife and I had to take out about $30K in loans to cover medical bills and a new (to us anyway) car. I prefer playing 40K and have never really thought about playing 30K, so I do not consider that to be an auspicious number. In less wordy terms, I am broke. New army is not in the cards for me.

So while pondering the issue, I went "huh, don't I have a crap-load of stuff still in packages from secondhand shops, and still in the boxes from store purchases?" I did some digging, and the answer was yes.

So for 2023 (for now, anyway, until something else distracts me), I will be working on Clan Verminus!
    20221225_154532.jpg
    Clanrats. 40 of the 60 I have. The plan is a big unit of 40 with spears, and a smaller unit of 20 with hand weapons.

20221225_154259.jpg
    And the leaders: 2 Clawlords, and a Clawlord on Brood Horror. I need to rig up some chain for the rider to use as reins, and find a right hand, as my Brood Horror Clawlord didn't come with one.

I still have to equip most of these Clanrats, and I have 10 Stormvermin to assemble as well. Additionally, I have a Ratling Gun and a Warpfire-Thrower in storage (Skryre, I know, but they're fitting as unit attachments for these units, so...)

2. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Personal advice is to have all of your clanrats equipped with blades. Strength in Numbers does weird things to Clanrat units that make them objectively worse at 20+ models if they have spears instead. If you're really pining for that blob of spears however, I'd recommend playing the argument that their spears are really just blades that happen to be on sticks.

You may also find it more useful to build the skaven army as a combined arms force rather than just focusing on Verminus.

Imrahil likes this.
  3. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Where are you located? I have a few skaven and a line in mantic ratmen.

4. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Project de-sprue the apartment is underway. 10 sprues cleared so far.

Decided to build up 3 "orruk brutes". The latest 2 are here:

PXL_20221226_004344869.jpg PXL_20221226_004409155.jpg PXL_20221226_004424736.jpg

5. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

I am planning on getting more Clanrats. The goal is 2 units of 40 at the time being, one with spears (because I don't think I have enough non-spear weapons to equip them otherwise, but we will see - I got 18 of my clanrats secondhand without weapon arms).

I am going to do a combined arms force - I just want to focus on Verminus to start as they are "core" battleline, and I don't actually have any painted yet for this army. I have about 2500 points of pure Clan Moulder (seriously - 60+ Giant Rats, 9 Rat Ogors, 9 Packmasters, 3 Master Moulders, and other stuff), some Skryre stuff and heroes, some Eshin heroes, a few Grey Seers, that kind of thing.

6. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Minne-snow-ta. Much-many snow here, yes-yes. Very cold.

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  7. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Much cold, but you are also in the US, and thus simple for me to ship to

8. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I've been working on more Underworlds warbands. I got 4 for Christmas, so I'm slowly making my way through them. I have three of Hedkrakka's Madmob done with the last couple days, I just have the shaman left. After that, I'll either work on the Ogre pirate crew or the Order of Azyr group.

Padre

9. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

Finished my lizard blood bowl team including Greebo big guy..
    Chameleon.jpg Krox lhs.jpg Krox rhs.jpg Part team.jpg Saurus 2.jpg Saurus.jpg Skink with ball.jpg Skink with snake.jpg

10. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Great bunch of lizards!!! I love the bone color you have used!

Grrr, !mrahil

11. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

Vallejo Model Colour "Pale Sand", washed with GW "skeleton Horde", then highlighted with base colour again

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Imrahil likes this.
  12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

13. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Dug out an old project with a reposed Carnosaur, need to sort out a Saurus to be on foot next to it.
    Even though I've already done Seraphon for Armies on Parade, new miniatures make me want to do them again. Maybe this time a VS theme one, rare to see but would be a nice challenge... even though I was only able to complete 3 out of the 4 or 5 AoP boards. Tyranids still need to be done but Lizards always tempt me back :bag: Still have the backlog though so an excuse to paint more.

14. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

WildColonial Boy likes this.
  15. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

Been side tracked from my lizardmen by WOC projects. Converted Nurgle chaos warriors, Slaanesh chaos warriors (mostly scraping the shields clean and adding Nurgle symbol or flayed skins to the appropriate units) and converted/kitbashed some Khorne chaos ogres with 2 hand weapons. Also did some repairs to my Ogre Kingdoms stuff.

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  16. Imrahil
    Slann

I upcycled Christmas packaging (wooden 6-bottle wine case) in to a paint rack.
    No more loose paint pots taking up space on my desk.

Grrr, !mrahil

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  17. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Received some mail today. I did actually buy the Warhammer Supply drop Aelves version and it arrived today.
    For £80 I've got two Vanguard boxes and something that is actually a mystery to me at the moment. Éowyn & Merry... Confusing part that it's not listed on the invoice like the Vanguard boxes, so will only know it's accidental or a thing when other UK people get theirs.
    But happy with the boxes, something for the Dark Elves and fishes for some possible projects.

Quick edit update: Yeah the Lord of the Rings one seems an accidental one as I didn't order that.

IMG_20230104_115242030.jpg

18. Imrahil
    Slann

Nice stuff. when I saw the Drop package post on the Warhammer official site all where out of stock already.
    The Eowyn and Merry box is a happy little accident for you.

Grrr, !mrahil

little-myth likes this.
  19. little-myth
    Carnasaur

I will be confused for days, it was a thing you had to buy something else in order to buy the Supply drop, random dangerous item error that was happening. So went for a Skaven Doom-Flayer, of course got that then this was in the box also.

Will have to work out what to do with it, I like Lord of the Rings and Hobbit but not enough to actually collect it, will just have to sit on the shelf while I decide.

20. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

If they offered these in the US, I'd be tempted to pick one up. But c'est la vie.

In terms of current projects, I worked more on the Ogre Pirate warband for Underworlds. I have the two gnoblar left. I need to take some pictures of the last couple warbands, actually.

Tk'ya'pyk and jinjerJosh22 like this.