1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest May - June Visual Art Contest (WIP Thread)

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by spawning of Bob, May 2, 2016.

1. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

We Honour the Old One Aartzifartzi with sacrifices of fresh art.
    Will he / she / it be pleased with your offering?

The theme for the competition will be Anti Heroes

Entries Close June 14, 2016 at midnight - Pago Pago time.

Lustria Online's first visual art competition was a great success, with @Warden only just pipping @pendrake for the Great One's blessing and the accolades of his scaly brethren.

The theme is "Anti-Heroes" Any thematic resemblance to another competition or competitions is due to the Great Plan. If you don't believe me, you need to contemplate harder.

The Rules...
    ... are as follows, but please be reminded that they are subject to alteration in future comps. The purpose of the comp is to encourage participation at all levels of ability, not to impede potential artists.

• The contest is not anonymous.
    • The work should be able to be able to be contained on an A4 page with reasonable resolution. This will allow for short graphic stories but not multi page stories. The emphasis is the art rather than an amazing plot.
    • The artist may include speech and thought bubbles, but the words should constitute less than one quarter of the page.
    • The artist may include a title and/or a caption of up two lines long after the image.
    • The image may not be animated or have embedded sounds or speech. This would be awesome and I hope we can do an animation comp in the future, but keep it steady (and quiet) please.
    • The image must involve Lizardmen (or Seraphon or Salamanders or Skaven with disguises. Yes, really. Didn't you read the theme?
    • The image must stick roughly within the theme.
    • The image must be new. No recycling and re-purposing old images. SO @Xlanax_lot's non-entry would have been ineligible. (take this as your reminder to get drawing NOW, bro)
    • Photoshop art IS OK but the final image should be have at least half of the image as original work. i.e. The back ground could be from Leonardo Da Google and be less than 50% of the image. OR the background could be an originally taken photograph of a Mayan pyramid taken by the entrant and be larger than 50%. This rule links to the next one.
    • Wherever the image components come from, please acknowledge the attribution of other people's work. Your entry should include the web addresses of any images that you have enhanced by pasting lizardmen all over them. This is polite and possibly, you know, legal.
    • Only one entry allowed per person / collaboration.
    • Having said that, collaborative entries by multiple entrants are fine. Check what @details and @n810 did in the last comp and you will agree that this is a good thing. Also n810+details, n810+Bob and n810+Scolenex would all be eligible entries - one per collaboration.
    • You must send your image to Spawning of Bob by the End Times Midnight Pago Pago time (just google it) on June 14, 2016.
    • You can PM the image using a "direct link" on image hosting software such as photobucket or imageshack, or just email the .jpeg, .png or .bmp or whatever to spawningofbob@gmail.com
    • Voting will be open for until the end of June 2016. Discussion with / about the artists is OK during the voting period. The number of votes for each voter will be one for each three entries (rounded down).
    • There is a tiny chance that voters will consider adherence to the theme.
    • There will be a Best of 2016 comp which will be about flat-out-awesomeness and not theme linkage.

The NOT-Rules...

• This thread is the official get inspiration / get help / just enjoy being creative together thread.
    • There are some other threads worth looking at for inspiration, advice and technological know how. These include the previous comp WIP thread and this even less complete than usual tutorial thread.
    • Please please please retain WIP stages of your project. We can all learn from / sympathise with the challenges you surmount on your journey. The rising tide floats all boats, and your experience will encourage others to contribute in future.
    • Please don't pretend you are dead if I contact you to write a tutorial about your chosen medium.
    • Include a description of the method / medium with your entry (e.g. pencil on paper watercolour on skaven-hide, computer and mouse with MS paint, tablet and finger) If you don't, I will make something up that you might regret.
    • Ask for help with electronica if it isn't your thing. I can advise about free tablet drawing software, image hosting and posting, and free software which does post-scanner enhancement of pencil and paper art. @n810 knows his way around Photoshop. @Hyperborean is a gun with Paint Tool SAI. MS Paint probably won't kill you for simple image editing - get the help you need to bring your image to life.
    • No inspiration? Slap yourself, then read the April May Short Story Competition entries - the competition host has stolen our theme idea! Feel free to do an illustration for someone else's story (or your own).
    • Be bold and experimental. If you want to raise your artistic banner, you are sure to get many salutes. Or nervous squeaks if your banner is the one made of skaven pelts.

Once again, I acknowledge the champions of forum comps, our own @Scalenex and Ratty Gnawtail of the unsuppressible Under-Empire Forum. Y'ttar Scaletail is just a lizard who sometimes appears and talks with a stutter.

You have until 14 June.

2. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

I'm reserving this post, just in case I end up with something useful to say.

3. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

Like forgetting some one?

spawning of Bob likes this.
  4. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Did anyone hear a sstrange voice?

Me neither.

Essmir likes this.
  5. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Has that ever happened? :p

Warden, spawning of Bob and Scalenex like this.
  7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

This comp is going to be a lot of fun I think! Looking forward to how people either interpret the stories from the story comp, or what they come upwith for an Antihero!

8. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

Hey, what do you know, I might even get my entry done in time for this one.
    \_;)_/

Warden, spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Do it! Get started!

10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I'm in.

Warden likes this.
  11. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Please extend my cold blooded greetings to the lovely ShuNian of the Under-Empire and tell her there is an art comp here with an Anti-hero theme. She belongs here (temporarily). I think that ew Skaven art would technically be eligible for this comp.

Back to me (it's all about me, after all) - I have had an idea for an entry, but like last time I don't know how to portray it. I will need to develop new skillz again. Could it be that comps are good for me?

Were you expecting concept art?

I am only up to pre-concept non-art.

I want to draw lizards spawning from a pool and being not heroic at the same time. For all of the sacred spawning stories I have read, I have NEVER seen a spawning pool image. I must research. If that fails, I must make up.

Bowser and Warden like this.
  12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I am looking forward to seeing the next crop of great art! Only have a rough concept sketch not yet worth posting, but I need to finish reading all the great anti-hero short stories first before I decide on some art.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I loved this picture of a heroic spawning saurus in his first moments from the old Lizardmen army book:

spawning saurus.jpg

And this picture of a skink taking a swim in Terragenesis' fantastically build spawning pool:

spawning skink.jpg

link: http://www.terragenesis.uk/printthread.php?tid=302

Maybe a skink hiding in the spawning pool too afraid to come out? Or being chased out by another creature already in the pool so fast that they break some sort of record? (I seem to remember a cartoon about this last one...)

Rikard and Bowser like this.
  13. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks, but not really suitable - there are no eggshells.

Warden and Bowser like this.
  14. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

OK that last idea has some merit - let me see what I can poop out

[​IMG]
    from Keeping Lustrian Warbeasts - my favourite cartoon series to date.

15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I have drawn another Stegadon. Do I start posting WIP pictures of it here? Is that the [great] plan?

Bowser likes this.
  16. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Let me check the plaques, it might be The Great Plan. Is it an anti heroic Stegadon?

This is the WIP thread for this comp alone and The Temple of Aartzifartzi is for finished aarts (or farts).

if no where else suits, use your own almost unused WIP thread.

17. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

@spawning of Bob, do you mean anti-heroes as in Deadpool, or anti-hero as in literal villain, or what? I have a concept drawing ready (I work quickly when I'm bored) and would like to check exactly what you meant.
    My anti-hero character is just a good guy who happens to be a bit naughty. That ok?

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Warden likes this.
  18. Sealterbloind
    Cold One

Sealterbloind Active Member

Is it OK if I draw a picture of a Lizardmen OC ?

I might have an idea which includes Itza

Scalenex and Bowser like this.
  19. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I dunno, I didn't ask him.:rolleyes:

Jorgik likes this.
  20. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Just doodling again
    2016-05-04 19.56.06.jpg