1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I magnitize my skink and saurus weapons?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Animeprime, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Animeprime
    Jungle Swarm

Animeprime New Member

Greetingsssss. Managed to snag one of the Starclaw Strikeforce battleforces for my first foray into the fantasy side of the game and could use some advice. I've got a whole bunch of skinks to assemble when it arrives, but was wondering if I should magnitize the weapon arms instead of gluing them so I can swap them out. Like if I wanted to have a shooty unit with blowpipes, or swap out javelins for spears. Or does the kit not come with spares and units have a set number for each weapon? I looked at their waracroll but it just said "Some are equipped with X and others with X." Do I need to plan on being able to swap out their weapons like I do in 40K? As a tau collector I learned the hard way about not gluing weapons onto models. I was already planning on magnitizing the weapons for some units like the weapons on the bastilodon but was hoping I wouldn't have to magnitize all those tiny arms.

Edit: Old ones dammit, SKINKS not SKUNKS! Skaven messed with my autocorrect.

2. King Dust
    Saurus

King Dust Well-Known Member

As I understand it for AoS boltspitters and shields are the only competitive way to build skinks in the current meta. But I'm not a tactics guy, you should check out this thread and others in the Seraphon tactics forum.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    LizardWizard likes this.
  3. Saturas
    Skink

Saturas New Member

I am not a big fan of magnetizing alot of small units. I think it looks better if you glue and paint them in one piece.
    I have also bad experience with dropping magnetized units :p .
    Looking at the skink model i imagine its quite hard to magnetize them. For me it would be to much efforts at 24 skinks models (and possible more in the future) ^^.
    But if you really want to try different weapons (and you are not pleased with just using the other weapon on paper) you can magnetize them i guess. Its just alot of effort.
    I magnezited my Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur and now i got a second one so basicly the magnetizing was "unnecessary" because now i can build both anyways but ye it did not hurt since i can always glue the parts i magnetized together.
    Also i guess that argument doesnt count if you dont plan to buy a new unit of skinks in the near future.

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I also pretty much only magnetize heroes.

5. Animeprime
    Jungle Swarm

Animeprime New Member

Thanks for the advice. My set came in and those arms are a lot smaller than I thought. Would be easier to just buy more skinks and paint them up with different weapons than magnitize thm all.