1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To all the slow painters out here!!!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SeBM, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Kaax Taat
    Saurus

Kaax Taat New Member

1st thing..... Please capitalize Kaax Taat...Thank You.

2nd.... 1 Slann is worth 20 Saurus? Really? Thats a great deal of repitition to achieve one Slann's value. maybe 2 models of R&F = 1 point?

I am cutting my own throat with this because I have a Slann I need to paint.

I have a Steg I need to paint too.

I am game for what ever we decide but I have a bunch of R&F guys to paint and those tend to be cheaper too.

Just saying,
    Kaax Taat

2. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Done, sorry about the little mistake!

Nothing is definitive, but I've seen people putting 10+ hours on a Slann, since it's the center piece of most Lizardmen armies. 4 points can seem disproportionate but I don't think 5 rank and file should be worth that many points, big units should though, hence a point value for every 5 model. If you paint 80 saurus, that is still 16 pts. You'd have to paint 4 Slaans to get that many points. We will see what other think. If anything, we could bring down the Slann to 3 points maybe?

I personaly have 20 TG, 40 Saurus and 10 Chameleon Skinks to paint. That's quite a lot of RnF troops too :D.

In the end, if their is an issue about a point value, I suggest all the participants decide together since this contest is made by us for us!

Thanks for the input!

3. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

What would qualify as a Unit filler SeBM?

otherwise, I'm fine with the point system.

4. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

A unit filler is something you use to bring an infantry block to higher numbers without actually adding the appropriate troop number to the unit. It a cheap an original way to add 4-6 models to a unit and give it some character.

Check out this thread. It has some links to other websites for other race unit fillers as well as some examples of what some forum members did.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Firstly, for those not sure how to post photos, have a look at the tutorial here. SeBM, maybe edit a link into the first post?

I agree that characters and large models should be worth a lot of RnF. I personally spend a hell of a lot more time on characters than RnF. However, in the case of my LM, all models are going to be a high standard hopefully, which is part of the reason its taking me so long to do anything. :) Maybe a part of the points could reflect the stand you are painting to? Tabletop gives no bonus, above tabletop gives an extra point for each section? Hard to judge though.

My unit filler isn't finished yet, but yeah when he is finished I will definitely be posting photos.

6. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

How does Hordes/ Warmachine models work with those points?

7. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

Ehh, enter me I might aswell give it a shot I can always change my mind later.

8. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Updated the list of participants once more:

- SeBM
    - Eladimir
    - Rokanos (maybe)
    - Casper Slok (maybe)
    - Strewart
    - Juhaaha
    - Wildboar
    - Josh Ichimaru

Hordes unit are treated as rank and file models. As for warmachines, I'm open to suggestion. I was thinking mainly about LM but if we have other races in, we should definitely set a point value for those as well.

9. Kaax Taat
    Saurus

Kaax Taat New Member

@SeBM

With everyone else approving the point system I offer an apology - this is my first painting challange - please excuse my in experiance. That being said I hope I am still concidered to be included.
    LOL - I will even deal with kaax taat not being capitalized.

So? Do you have a date to start? As I understand it the models must be assembled and photographed then posted. If we wish to do more can we add to our original list?

Models I have:
    2 Krox
    1 Steg
    1 Slann
    4 Salamanders
    52 Saurus
    10 Temple Guard
    8 Cav
    36 Skinks - which 16 of which I plan to convert to Chameleons
    1 Skink Priest with Feather Cloak
    1 Skink Priest with Ramskull staff
    1 Skink Chief

By no means do I plan to paint all these in this challange.

Thanks,
    Kaax Taat

10. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

i'm still in too!

11. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

I'll be doing:

Thrullg (Hordes Minion solo, I guess that's 2 points, since its not a rank and file trooper?)
    Gatormen posse
    20shx Beastmen Gors (or as much as I got minies)
    Island of Blood skaven (40 clanrats, 2 rat ogres w/ packmaster, hero, warlock, mortar and flamer)
    Scar veteran w/ halberd on Horned one/ cold one
    Wargor bsb

Also, I'm not sure where's my camera..

Also, Im gonna repaint my SWs shields.

After some quick raids, I figured out I dont have 50 gors, 20sh could be more likely

12. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

@ kaax taat : Of course you are still in, your comments about the point system were appreciated and never will I shut down suggestions without asking other people around for their opinion since the goal of this challenge is to have fun!

@ Everyone else : For the starting date, I suggest we start on thursday the 10th of february. This gives people time to prepare models. You can finish a unit that's in it's early state of painting, the aim is to have people pick up their brushes and paint. You only take a picture of the finished unit/models/model when you are done. I'll post an example of the type of pictures people will have to take as soon as I get my camera back this week.

As for non-GW models, I suggest we give a point value accordingly to what they are. We can attribute a value for those when you post the picture of the completed unit.

13. novatomato
    Razordon

novatomato Member

Alright, I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring.

Gotta get 60 skaven clan rats (two sets of full command), 6 rat ogres, 2 weapon teams, 2 warplightning cannons, a warlord, chieftain BSB and a warlock engineer finished for a doubles near the end of March.

14. Kaax Taat
    Saurus

Kaax Taat New Member

Questions:

1. So we take a photo with a date tag with the base models we plan to paint?

2. How many weeks are we running?

3. We only need to post a finished photo when we complete each model/point group?

Thanks,
    Kaax Taat

15. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Ok, I'll try to answer everything.

- No need to take a photo of the models before, I trust no one would cheat other people on this forum (I like to believe in people, what can I say :D).

- I suggest we run for 2 months. Some people might think it's too long, but it gives people time to paint large units and not overworry about a close deadline. Once again, I'm open to suggestions here.

- Once you finish a unit, you take a picture of it with a piece of paper on which you'll write : Lustria-Online, Slow Painter Challenge with the date. I'll post an example before the contest officially starts (I hope I can actually, might not be able to post it until friday, we'll see.

Once again updated the list of participants:
    - SeBM
    - Eladimir
    - Rokanos (maybe)
    - Casper Slok (maybe)
    - Strewart
    - Juhaaha
    - Wildboar
    - Josh Ichimaru
    - novatomato

I'll reiterate, I'm open to suggestions from everyone, keep them coming! I'll also try to answer all the questions you might have as fast as possible so we can get this started this week.

16. Kaax Taat
    Saurus

Kaax Taat New Member

{Palm slapped to forehead}
    I am feeling so left out.....

:oops: Kaax Taat

17. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're not deliberately left off the list, it would be a copy-paste job from a list that wasn't complete to start with. :)

My first model probably won't count then, since its ~ 70% done already. Oh well, I'll still post it.

Most immediate thing after that is two salamanders which will be converted from razordon bodies. They are at the moment unassembled, and will not be assembled by thursday, so assembling and converting will be part of what I do for them.

I will hopefully also be doing non-GW models in the next 2 months, Dystopian Wars Naval ships. They are probably about equivelant of a character given they have loads of tiny details, most don't have a base size though so hard to judge.

18. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

*Buys a box of necrons* I WIN!!

19. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Once again updated the list of participants because I'M A NOOB (sorry Kaax Taat)
    - SeBM
    - Eladimir
    - Rokanos (maybe)
    - Casper Slok (maybe)
    - Strewart
    - Juhaaha
    - Wildboar
    - Josh Ichimaru
    - novatomato
    - Kaax Taat

Also Strewart, I would say that even though your model is already started, it should count. Once again, the aim is to have people finish painting their armies!!!

20. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

you forgot me again SeBM!