1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. ANY OGRE PLAYERS ON THE FORUM?

Discussion in 'Other Armies Discussion' started by Lizards of Renown, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Charlemagne
    Skink

Charlemagne Member

Yeah we didn’t set up the terrain the other player was just kind of using the end of that table to get his models out and make sure they’ll fit on movement trays, as he had 3-D printed his bases. With the objective markers that were on there originally I assume it was probably a AoS game.
    It looked like a fun challenge so we rolled with it but next time we are definitely following the terrain set up rules.

@Cptn Timmy wait I thought you randomized the hit for mounted characters for cannonballs. This is honestly the first time I’ve ran into this issue as the guys I normally play with don’t mount their characters. Have I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time? Maybe I should give the eighth edition book a good read over again.

that terrain generator sounds great. I’d love to share it with the guys.

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  2. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

The generator is here
    https://www.lustria-online.com/threads/straightforward-themed-terrain-sets.14344/

For mounted characters against a cannonball it hits both the rider and the monster, although a stone thrower will randomize the center hole hit.
    I do think some people have added the randomizing for the cannon ball to tone down cannons a bit but thats a house rule. As written in the book a cannonball will hit both rider and mount.
    I believe.

3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Both rider and mount are hit if cannonball bounces over them (or lands on them) per BRB character section.

Charlemagne and Cptn Timmy like this.
  4. Charlemagne
    Skink

Charlemagne Member

So I’m looking for some fun list ideas. My buddy and I are going to try and squeeze in two games Saturday to go over rules as we are rusty thanks to the plague.
    I have the following models
    goldtooth
    Skrag
    Golgfag
    Bragg
    Tyrant x3
    Slaughtermaster x2

BSB
    Butcher
    Hunter
    Firebelly

ironfist bulls x14
    AHW bulls x6
    Iron guts x 9
    Gnoblars x 64

Leadbelchers x10
    Maneaters x13
    Sabertusks x 7
    Yhetees x 6
    Mournfang x 4
    Gorger

scraplauncher x2
    Iron blaster x 2
    Giants x 2 third on sprue
    Stone horn
    Thunder tusk

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  5. Charlemagne
    Skink

Charlemagne Member

So I had 98% of an idea. The general idea of this list is to screen with gnoblars and use the ogres to flank.
    1924pts. . So far

butcher
    Lvl 2
    Glittering scales
    Dispel scroll
    hunter
    Harpoon launcher
    Shield of ptolos

Gnoblarsx20
    Full command(FC)
    Trappers
    Gnoblars x 20
    FC
    Trappers
    Bulls x 4
    Additional hand weapons
    Iron guts x 4
    FC

gorger
    Leadbelchers x 4
    Musician
    Leadbelchers x 4
    Musician
    Maneaters x4
    Brace of handguns
    -vanguard and ??

iron blaster x 2

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  6. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

Be careful with screening gnoblars because they are m4, they can take away one of the strengths of your army. But giving them trappers can be a lot of fun. Looks like a shooty list. I like the concept it looks fun. I would probably go ith stubborn on the man eaters to keep them around because you don't have a bsb, or a high leader general, you might want to combine your core units of 4 to one bigger unit to give your army a little more staying power. Is the butcher going to run around solo?

7. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

I would add that I am a big fan of having one 4 pack of ogres to run around and perform menial tasks in the same way I usually have one unit of 5 cold ones when playing lizards. I just think if you get in to combat with those units of 4 you better hope the units you're fighting is whittled down.

Charlemagne likes this.
  8. Charlemagne
    Skink

Charlemagne Member

I neglected to add that they have trappers on each of the gnoblars. You have a point there really isn’t anywhere to put the butcher in this list. Maybe with the regular bulls but he would take away from their combat effectiveness.
    I’d probably only run this list against lizardmen or warriors of chaos with the hopes they don’t have any good ranged stuff.

9. Charlemagne
    Skink

Charlemagne Member

Hey I haven’t forgotten about this page I just had my second hernia rip open in the last 6 months. I did get two games in before the latest medical emergency.

I played 1500 points against warriors of chaos. It was the guys 4th game of WFB ever so I took it easy on him and wrote a subpar list. Everything that could go wrong went wrong for him. Turn 1 both his casters miscast, and his hell cannon exploded. I mean everything that could go wrong did. I lost one ogre to a marauder and I tabled him.

i also played a big 3k game against skaven that I can share details about later. I brought the most aggressive list I could think of and it was still a close game. Skaven have quite a few nasty surprises.

10. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Don't feel sorry for him. Just tell him that he happens to be that 1/100 guy where the Hellcannon doesn't destroy everything. :)

Charlemagne likes this.
  11. Charlemagne
    Skink

Charlemagne Member

The guy was cool about it it. He hasn’t won a single game yet but he has been gaming since the 80s so he understands it takes time. It doesn’t help that is situated next to me and the skaven so for the next two rounds he can only attack the skaven as I heal.

12. OgreLover_69
    Skink

OgreLover_69 Member

Just stumbled across this thread and I'm very happy I did. I'd love to see your Grand Battle against Skaven because, as a Lizardmen (and ogre) lover I always like to see them get defeated (as well as the fact that it sounds like a great battle to see). I have only ever played a couple battles in my life and I only just got into ogres as wells so this thread has been great to review a few tactics so I can stand a chance playing against dwarves in the future. We're would I go to potentially get I review of an ogre army list for my upcoming battle? Should I post it here?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Cptn Timmy and Lizards of Renown like this.
  13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Absolutely! :D

This is where I was hoping to create a blossoming Ogre related chat!

OgreLover_69 and Cptn Timmy like this.
  14. OgreLover_69
    Skink

OgreLover_69 Member

OK thanks :D
    One think I should note before present the army list is that my opponent is a fair bit more skilled than me as he has played (not at all competitively) for over 5 years and this is my 3rd games so he has already told me that he is going to try something different and not really bring a gun line. There will certainly still be war machines but no Thunderers/Quarrelers. I'm still going to run (what I believe) is a fairly competitive list but I'll through a large unit of man-eaters to hopefully spice things up. Now into the list.

LORDS:
    Slaughtermaster: 370 pts
    -level 4 wizard
    -fencers blades
    -glittering scales
    -earthing rod

HEROES:
    Bruiser: 178 pts
    -BSB
    -Crown of command
    -Dragonhelm
    -Iron curse icon
    -heavy armor
    -ironfist

CORE:
    8x guts: 424 pts
    -FC
    Dragon hide banner

6x bulls: 202 pts
    -Musician
    -6x ironfists

SPECIAL:
    12x Man-eaters: 766 pts
    -FC
    -Banner of eternal flame
    -6x additional hand weapons
    -6x great weapons
    -12x heavy armor
    -Stubborn and Scouts

6x leadbelchers: 258 pts

1x rhinox rider: 131 pts
    -heavy armor
    -iron fist
    -thunderlord
    -brace of pistols

RARE
    Ironblaster: 170 pts

Total: 2499

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  15. OgreLover_69
    Skink

OgreLover_69 Member

I also have some questions regarding lookout gnoblars and how useful they are in an army. I'd love to see anyone's opinion on this list and see what I could to a bit better. My "strategy" (apart from runnin' in n' knocking 'eads) is to flank the dwarfs with my large man-eater unit any hopefully destroy a unit and a few war machines while using them as a bit of an anvil so while the dwarves are distracted on the Man-eaters my rhinox and core + heroes charge from a different side. Heroes will both be in the bulls unit.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

It's a fair tactic and the list is okay. I'd give your heroes some kind of a ward save as guaranteed they'll be hit by a cannon/dwarf rune weapon that'll disregard armour.

OgreLover_69 and Cptn Timmy like this.
  17. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

I think that possibly you might want to swap the leadbelchers out for something a little faster. I love that man eater unit let me know how it performs!
    (Genuinely curious why that exact load out on a horde was not seen in tournaments before) Not sure if the flame banner will be worth it against dwarfs? Especially because it potentially neuters the whole unit against a character. DISCLAIMER: This is all conjecture because I have never played against dwarfs. Lol. I dont known if the shooting from the lead belchers will have many targets and they can't march and fire so they might lag behind. Although if he brings gyrocopters the extra shooting might help.
    Also a 3 man unit of bulls to try to stop cannonballs could potentially be useful.
    Good luck!

OgreLover_69 likes this.
  18. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

In regards to lookout gnoblars, they have always confused me. I thought that it was a fluffy rule but I dont see why ogres should have to pay for a banner and an extra 5 points to be able to get a look out sir. I always thought that the rule about monstrous cav/ inf only needing 3 for a rank would cover that rule as well but I know it doesn't now.

Edit: that being said I would treat it as almost an auto include. Especially against dwarves

19. OgreLover_69
    Skink

OgreLover_69 Member

Huge thanks to you all for the help. I'll be sure to add lookout gnoblars as they're only 5 pts. I think I may remove 2 leadbelchers and have them in a 2x2 formation and try to get a ward save for my heroes. I also got a bit of info on the general idea of the army he's running and it seems he will be taking many gyrocopters as a bit of fun so I'll keep some leadbelchers. I might replace banner of eternal flame for something more useful, it was just a suggestion from an article I read, would would you recommend?

20. OgreLover_69
    Skink

OgreLover_69 Member

My opponent has also never played vs ogres, he mostly played against empire and elves, so I think he may have underestimated the sheer brute power of ogres when in CC so hopefully I'll catch him off guard.