1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. The BEST close combat units in all of Warhammer.

Discussion in 'Other Armies Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Sep 27, 2020.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Yes, Murderous Prowess too, although it not nearly as impactful as the other 3 (attacks, poison, ASF). But yes, it does help them out too.

Razordons and Skinks can also damage the Witch Elves, but nearly so much as a Salamander or two. It just takes one of those flame templates to hit right to make HUGE difference. Such a tightly packed, small base size, no armour and low toughness unit is the ideal target for the Salamander.

It is an intriguing idea. The core options of an army can really dictate the focus of the entire force.

In the case of the WoC, if you nerfed the Chaos Warriors, you'd see a lot of chariot play and Throgg + core Trolls.

You could house rule it if you were the one playing the WoC army. However, it would probably be a pretty tough sell to tell the Chaos player that he can't use the very namesake of his army!

Marauders are pretty underwhelming this edition. Interestingly, they were the go to option in the 7th edition WoC book. They were so cheap and effective that most people brought a unit (or two) of 50 Marauders with GWs (often with the MoK).

Besides, so far, this tourney is showing that the Chaos Warriors are not the "big baddies" that they are made out to be. True, these are the best of the best, but they are losing to several infantry units at the moment. Of course we'll have to wait until everything is all said and done, but currently they reside in the bottom 5.

I still maintain that the real bread winners in a WoC army are the DPs, Hortennse characters, Skullcrushers, Hellcannons, Chimeras, etc.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

End of round 4. Each contestant has fought in four matches.

The current standings are as follows:

upload_2020-10-27_18-49-17.png
    upload_2020-10-27_18-54-45.png

The K'daai has a slim lead. The Dark Elves are surprisingly holding the second and third positions. The Skullcrushers are only tied for 6th, but their tormentors, the Demigryphs have really dropped off. The Chaos Warriors are struggling, while the Mournfang have definitely separated themselves from the Spider.

What will round 5 bring? Stay tuned to find out.

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Both the Skullcrushers and the Warriors of Chaos are nowhere near the top spot...

I guess @Imrahil is the best bet right now with the Witch Elves at Number 2, but unfortunately I don't see them maintaining their position...

Imrahil and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I agree with you. The Witch Elves still have a lot of really hard matchups coming up

I think in a head-to-head matchup, the Witch Elves get hard-countered by:
    • Skullcrushers
    • Demigryphs
    • Mournfang
    I also think they get beat by the Black Guard (against one another, not overall standing).

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Let us begin round #5. Black Guard of Naggarond vs. Arachnarok Spider

Key rules in play:
    • Arachnarok: Natural Armour (4+), Poisoned Attacks (Spider only), Stubborn
    • Black Guard: ASF, Murderous Prowess, Stubborn

upload_2020-10-27_22-7-36.png

THE ARACHNAROK WINS!! THE ARACHNAROK WINS!! THE ARACHNAROK WINS!! THE ARACHNAROK WINS!!
    THE ARACHNAROK WINS!! THE ARACHNAROK WINS!! THE ARACHNAROK WINS!! THE ARACHNAROK WINS!!

The moral of the story... S4 doesn't do very well against T6. That was the difference maker that kept the Spider in the game. The Spider's S5 thunderstomp against the T3 and 5+ armour save Black Guard was also critical.

With that, every single competitor now has at least a single victory under their belt. Nobody will go home empty handed.

upload_2020-10-27_22-15-32.png

And as always... Thoughts? Concerns? Discussion!! :)

6. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Yep, I have my hopes, but holding my celebrations for now ;)
    The matchups are in favor of the Witch Elves up to this round. I surely hope for some interesting results coming.

Grrr, Imrahil

7. Imrahil
    Slann

Talking about interesting :)
    Not that it makes any difference in the stands, but hey one battle won can make for great stories and songs :p

Grrr, Imrahil

8. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Just goes to show that the Arachnarok is a powerful monster... and you need to pick your match-ups!!!

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Smart move from the black guards to die on the battlefield.
    I don't want to think to the fate of the survivors, coming back to Naggaroth and explaining why Witches and Executioners are doing so well, while they bite the dust against the monster that, up 'til now, knew only defeats...

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I began cheering for the stupid spider just because I didn't want to see a unit go through the entire tournament with straight losses!

Good point.

The Black Guard will have to steal a few points off of their fellows. I think they stand a very good chance against the Witch Elves and I think they hard counter the Executioners.

I did call it... :)

11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

How appropriate, given the Dark Elf lore.

Yup, you certainly did. I believe both of us will be wrong about the winner though...

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Yup. I think everybody will be!

I should have gone with my second pick. Dammit!

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Me too.
    But at least i am guessing right the last place, so I'm satisfied with myself.:p

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Hammer time... I mean match time! Witch Elves versus Hammerers!

Key rules in play:
    • Hammerers: Stubborn
    • Witch Elves: ASF, Frenzy, Murderous Prowess, Poisoned Attacks

upload_2020-10-29_1-2-56.png

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. The Witch Elves have no problems shredding the Hammerers. Simply put, by the time the Hammerers strike, the Witch Elves have devastated them. Too many attacks, too many hits and too much poison. Meanwhile, the Hammerers S6 is wasted on T3 and no armour save.

It will be interesting to see how the Hammerers fair against the more heavily armoured units (Demigryphs, Skullcrushers, Mournfang), each of who have less attacks and less models/wounds (at any given points value / unit size).

upload_2020-10-29_1-7-10.png

So what do you guys think?

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You should be. I had an inkling that the spider would do badly, but didn't have the guts to choose it over the Black Guard (who have had some surprising victories). As they say, fortune favours the brave.

Looks like my second choice for the winner might win it all and my second choice for biggest loser will finish last. So close, yet so far away!

16. Imrahil
    Slann

Ohw yeah, there they go again. Man what a massive punch in the first round.
    If the K'daai Destroyer makes anything less then a Massive Victory the Witch Elves are back at the top again :)

Grrr, Imrahil

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

yeah, this was sure. The only doubt was "will the hammerers be able to squeeze a loss, instead of a massive loss?". nope.

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Unfortunately, they still have several armoured units to go up against, as @NIGHTBRINGER said, which they will fail at, so I see them dropping to third or fourth place by the end.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Pretty nasty. The ladies are not messing around. If the Hammerers go 5 wide in the first round in order to limit incoming damage, they actually end up doing ever so slightly worse (leaving the Witch Elves with 18.6 wounds, instead of the 18.0 wounds we see above). So no way around it for the poor Dwarfs.

I'm surprised we haven't heard some grumblings from @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl . I would have thought for sure that he'd add the Witch Elves to his Book of Grudges! ;)

Indeed. The Witch Elves have done very well up until now, but they have also enjoyed a slightly more favourable schedule. They can't duck the armoured units forever!

20. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I have to say that I have severely underestimated this unit. Kudos to @NIGHTBRINGER for spotting the omission from the line-up. I guess I've never had to withstand a full attack by a Witch Elves unit that has been protected from missile fire. I always have them as a primary target for all types of missiles (especially my Skirmishers and the Ancient Steg's Giant Blowpipes) so I've never been hit with a "full-bitch" attack.

Really, REALLY deadly if you don't have high-level armour. Especially if you have a Hag and a Cauldron of Blood to further buff their attacks...